The Obligatory Highlights of the Year Thread 2007

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

The Obligatory Highlights of the Year Thread 2007

Post by theraven1979 »

It's become a forum tradition over the years. I've yet to piece my highlights and low lights but I will do so soon. Feel free to kick this one off.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Tim
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Tim »

its been a good year for me....

Highlights - Stranglers @ Bilston (awesome), Roundhouse (mental), Fishing tackle shop doing good, younger bro getting married at posh castle

Lowlights - none, well getting dumped the other night was probably the only dark hour that I haven't yet forgotten about
your brain's exposed and its starting to show your rotten thoughts YUK!
FenDale
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by FenDale »

The Roundhouse and Sid's socks :lol:
If Karen Carpenter had eaten Mama Cass' sandwich they'd both still be alive today!
paulinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by paulinblack »

The lowlight has got to be the loss of a forum member.

Paul
G-L-O-S...Living in a flood plain!
bry

Post by bry »

1. Paris in the the spring was awesome (is easter spring? cos it was good friday actually!! ) smashing weekend, smashing gig, and a smashing booze up sat at side a Parisian bar!

2.Manchester academy gig 3/11/07 super smashing great, the mighty teasing lulu are support for the stranglers, the night is a rockin from the start, the lulu's do an awesome set to a decent size crowd, the stranglers gig is truly fantastic with the 77 setlist going down a treat! the academy WAS my fave venue, but the fuckers a spoilt it! but it didnt spoil my nite,finished off the night eating chips with the missus, manda-random, chrissy, TBC and paul! talking about the old days glorious nite!

3.the roundhouse , travelled down from manc got lost on the M25 just the once, parked at east finchley tubed in to landan with a load of potty portugese in their jim-jams (fuckin potty noisy student twats!) booked in to travelodge and then fekked off to the spread eagle, then fekked of to a pub called the lock (i think) loads of potty mibs saying hello on the way to the roundhouse!! despite the keyboard fuck up, it was an awesome/gig/nite, finished off in marathon till 2.30ish eating chips!! washed down with stella

4.holmfirth picturedome 12/7?, hot sweaty gig,some good surprises in the set, toiler straiten out,brilliant!! finished off the nite eating chips outside!

5. the engine shed Lincoln was it 28/9?, nuvva good gig few more surprises, no chips! :evil: got a sarnie from the supermarket and then fekked off back home to York!!

just ordered the dvd, looking forward to rounding my year out with watching that and a few beers, with some oven chips!!

off to see the icicle works tonite who were apparently BOO'ED off stage in liverpool last nite :shock: :shock:

lets hope nx year is a bloody good strangler yar :twisted: 8) :lol: :smt026

super, smashing , great 8)
like a meteor, like to meet you!
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

Nice one Bry - gotta agree that Manchester was a superb night out. Great company, excellent band, good beer and nice chips!

Best thing about Manchester though was that we got to do it all over again the day after! :smt026
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

I reckon that purely in terms of Stranglers performance the Manchester gig was better than The Roundhouse.

However, in terms of 'Event Of The Year', The Roundhouse gig gets my vote. Simply unmissable.
Organ Grinder
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Organ Grinder »

For me the highlights can be broken down into two camps....

Hugh Cornwell at Dingwalls

The reviews are there lurkin in the depths of Hugh's forum so I won't go into the finer points again here, suffice to say it was one of the best nights out with fellow fans one could ever have hoped for, and more! Obviously, with a Hugh gig it's almost an unknown quantity beforehand and indeed, this particular gig itself did not flick everyone's switch who witnessed it but, for general Stranglers days out it was the dogs bollocks for me. Thanks to Gary Kent for inviting me down the day before otherwise I wouldn't have known anything about it!

The familiar faces off here and the general carnage, before, during and after made it what it was - and this was the night we were introduced to The Marathon bar and Daniel, also the night Paul got to speak to Pigeon's mum at 2.30am! :grin:

Rattus at the Roundhouse
Again, the fans helped make it a super day to remember. The reviews are there in the Post-1990 forum so no need to wax here. There really does exist a bond between us all that nights like these prove. What can be said about this amazing gig that hasn't already been said here countless times? The DVD will do well to capture the sheer brilliance of this one - if after a coupla beers with surround sound on I manage to rekindle an ounce of the adrenalin I felt in the mosh pit I'll be happy.

Lowlights.......

Steveareno

RIP fellow Faninblack. Nuff said. :cry:

Take care over xmas and the new year folks and remember, if you're driving, then please don't forget your car. :grin:
If Dave was to use a Hammond L100 for just one more gig I'd die content.
Georgie

Post by Georgie »

Highlights

Getting a grip on depression
Seeing 'A' play live after 2 years
Re-discovering The Stranglers
Going to Hong Kong
Getting a new car and personalised reg
Getting an iMac to help with a career
Canning down the M40 at 125mph on the back of a bike
Seeing Rush at Wembley

Lowlights
Quiting my job (still pissing me off)
Two uncles dying on the same day that I got back from Hong Kong
England losing the Rugby World Cup
Missing The Stranglers at the Roundhouse
Various males. Especially the Russian.
Lame friends
Being over worked (when I worked :P)

And one that happend last year but we recently found out it could have been prevented. Jo Windall was a friend of me and my brother. We went to school with him and he liked to pick me up. He was on the Nimrod that went down last year, the only Marine. He also lived right opposite our house. We never see his mum anymore.

But it was only this month we found out it was a fuel leak and could have been stopped. :(
pigeon
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by pigeon »

Highlights Metallica at the new wembley stadium, Lars, James, krik and rob kicking major ass "WHORAHH,WHORAHH, .... WHORAHH ... WHO'S GOT KILLEM ALL? WHO'S GOT KILL EM ALL MOTHERFUCKERS?? THE FOUR HORSEMEN" as james puts it ... ok boss.

Stranglers paris in april, Brilliant day first time i met sid & lucy paul in london Bry , john and tanya, Billy and judy, Laurence, & i went passed the 1 beer mark.

Me and adam neil went to the Paul at the 100 club this was a great gig from start to finish with john ellis Met crass for the first time.

Hugh Camden dingwalls Well the gig itself was quite average but it was a great evening & morning, with crass,Domp, OG, paulinlondon got to talk to me mum at 2.30am & Robert williams was in the same resturant as us. The chat we had was one of the most bizzare things ever had all of and hour and a half sleep at pauls house and was fucked for the whole day at work the next day not supprissed they diddnt notice!!.

Stranglers holland october More fun was had with sid,laurence,billy, ladp,AZ what a cool dude!!, & our friend from down under han. Hengelo was really good ladp singing ships that pass in the early hours, locals must of thought we were nuts

Hugh the horn st.albans went with adam neil, met crass in a pub who attempted to chat the barmaid up " i bet i can guess your name" barmaid "go on then" crass "barbara" barmaid "yes how did you no?" crass "ahh, guess my name go on" barmaid "john" crass "no" barmaid "terry" crass "no" :lol: the goodnight story in the indian after the gig was the best though, also met barry spooner for the first time. Hugh was really good i thought even though the gig was suppose to be a warmup.

Stranglers frome met adam neil at frome train station & we went for a cider at tuckers grave, what a very strange place. We then went to our cottege we were sharing with crass and mrs crass & it was a really nice place martin the owner had seen the mk1 line up and his wife Jackie was amazingly fit i thought!! Then we went to the blue boar inn and saw grayo for the first time since sbe 06. Someone put a condom in my beer and i diddn't know what it was then lucy gave me some instructions which may come in handy in the future dougal "i'll go and study the old diagrame"
highlight barry spooners rant "I TELL YOU WHAT I HATE ... I FUCKING HATE KIDS AT THE FRONT ROW AT A GIG, THERES ME HAD A FEW AND GIVING IT A BIT AND I GET DON'T BARGE INTO MY KID, WELL DON'T PUT YOUR KID IN THE FRONT ROW IN THE MIDDLE OF A FUCKING ROCK AND ROLL GIG I FUCKING HATE IT IT GETS ON MY TITS" oh and "DEVO" :lol:
The gig itself was quite good and they opend with toiler & straighten out was played 8)

& finnally the roundhouse finally met adam neil at london bridge trainstation we then went to the spread eagle were it was all happening everyone was there, paulinlondon, crass, domp, og,gizz,barry, Sid and lucy,Billy and his cousin, John and tayna, Ladp, AZ,laurence,caz, brian the strangler, ravenlunatic, met for the first time elaine, yellowecake, allias, adyp. The gig itself diddn't dissapoint the 77 set was very good and i hope some of the songs stay in the set like ugly,bitching & wog.

loooking forward to hughs tour in 2008, radiohead and metallica.
Georgie

Post by Georgie »

Not meeting me should be everyones lowlight.
Toiler On The Sea
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Toiler On The Sea »

Georgie wrote:Not meeting me should be everyones lowlight.
Shurely should be "Not meeting me Yet"?

Give it time, and hopefully with plenty of operchancities in years to come 8)
"They don’t come much better than The Stranglers when performing live; there is no pretence, no hiding place, just superb music"

Liverpool Sound and Vision March 8th 2013.