Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

"Being Boiled" and The Human League.

Post by PaulinLondon »

:smt059

Getting over a heavy cold, I felt like I was being boiled as me and Mrs PiL made our way into town last night for a Chinese meal in Soho before heading daan to the Hammersmith Apollo to see The Human League. The purpose of the gig was to celebrate the anniversary of the “Dare” album. I am not a huge League fan but Mrs PiL bought the tickets for me burfday and I was looking forward to going back to the Apollo to see a band. The last time I went into the venue was when it was called the Hammersmith Odeon and that was to see The Meninblack. So, it was a nice birthday present. I would have preferred a full body massage with Sharon Davies or Nigella Lawson but you can’t have everything in life can you.

Anyway, we made it into Soho in the pouring rain and settled down for a meal and some wine in “Bar Shu” which is a great up and coming Chinese restaurant on Frith Street. Worth trying if anyone is up for the Hugh Cornwell gig next year at Ronnie Scotts which is literally around the corner. The meal was great, not too heavy and afterwards we grabbed a couple of coffees round the corner in the ever brilliant, “Bar Italia”. What a super little place. On the way there, we noticed a prostitute’s “Model” sign in a second floor window, all lit up in neon. I rang Alias to say that we were taking a picture of it and might be able to Kraftwerk it up a bit by adding the word “The”. Mrs. PiL is on the case. Good to speak to you Alias.

We eventually made it down to the Apollo and I have to say, it felt a little emotional going through those big front doors and into the amazing foyer. All The Stranglers memories came flooding back and it is great that the venue has barely changed. We had Circle seats and made our way up to the huge bar area on the first floor. It has a real art deco feel about it and the bar staff were excellent. I thought the staff at The Roundhouse were good but these guys and girls really had their act together.

The Human League have an interesting fan base. A bit like us, the majority are starting to lose their hair and the bellies are getting a tad large. The blokes on the other hand, seem to prefer black as the dress code. Saw a few League t-shirts being worn but certainly black is the preferred colour.

We caught the last two numbers by the support band, “Cassette Elektric” and then settled into our seats to await the arrival of The League.

The show was much better than I thought it was going to be. The keyboards sounded fantastic and at times, very Kraftwerky. They had some awesome sounds and songs like “Sound of the Crowd” and “The Things that Dreams are Made of” were first rate. Phil Oakey was on good form and his voice in the mix was perfect, rising at just the right volume above the keyboards and electronic drums. The stage set up also complimented the show as it was bathed in a black floor and backdrop with three white sheets to mark out each of the three singers at the front and the musicians on a white sheeted platform at the back. Sort of reminded me about the Aural Sculpture stage set up from years gone back.

Highlight of the show for me was the first song of the encore, “Being Boiled”. A fabulous track which Phil sung with menace. Very, very robotic and quite menacing in its delivery and sound. The show ended with the awful “Together in Electric Dreams” but other than that, The League impressed me greatly and I was pleased we went to see them. The house was packed and a good time was had by all.

Afterwards, we went next door to this pokey looking little Tex/Mex joint to wolf down a half bottle of white wine and some garlic bread before making our way home. It didn’t look great from the outside but was nice and cosy inside and the staff very friendly. “Juan’s El Paso Mexicana”, 24 Fulham Palace Road. Tel “ 020 8741 9913. Right next door to the Apollo. :grin:

Well done Mr. Phil Oakey and well done to his co-singers, Joanne and Susan. It was a good show.

PS. Anorak Moment….

The Human League gig was obviously advertised on the Hammersmith Apollo’s web site. A good few words had also been added to give a little flavour to the band’s history. You will of course share my smile when I read of The League’s collaboration with Martin Rushent "who had worked with The Stranglers". 8)
"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.
icecube
Ugly
Ugly

Post by icecube »

Nice one Paul.
Was tempted (only a bit) to go and see them myself. Might just do that now :shock:
This can't be undone

Andrew
Rats Rally

Post by Andrew »

They're playing here in Norwich sometime this week I think. Must admit I'm not a fan of the dare album, but I remember really liking Being Boiled. Might check out the ticket prices and consider if it's worth a go. Good review!
Sidinblack
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Sidinblack »

Saw them earlier this year in sunny Margate with the missus and I must admit they were good. A lot better than the last time I saw them, 1978 as a three piece, supporting Spizz Oil and Siouxsie & The Banshees where they must have made a small fortune from the coins that were thrown at them.
Happy days ?
Blind acceptance is a sign - of stupid fools who stand in line.
Freddie Laker
Ugly
Ugly

Re: "Being Boiled" and The Human League.

Post by Freddie Laker »

PaulinLondon wrote: A bit like us, the majority are starting to lose their hair and the bellies are getting a tad large. The blokes on the other hand, seem to prefer black as the dress code.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice one, Paul.
Never really was a fan of the Human League, but remember the Dare album with a smile, as it brings back happy memories of 6th form parties. Wall-to-wall rah-rah skirts and heavy make-up. (It was an all-boys school, after all :shock: ).
And let's be honest, most of us would have to 'fess up to singing Don't You Want Me along with all our mates at the top of our teenage voices whilst full of lager and cider.
:grin:
PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon »

Thank you chaps.

Apparently I was shouting, "Come on Phil my son !" in between numbers. :oops: Quite loudly actually. :oops: :oops:
"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.
Alias
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by Alias »

PaulinLondon wrote:Thank you chaps.

Apparently I was shouting, "Come on Phil my son !" in between numbers. :oops: Quite loudly actually. :oops: :oops:
Phil :?:
I'm a comedian and poet, so anything that doesn't get a laugh is a poem. B.Hicks.

"Further modulation of the frequency rotation, Triggered waveband activation - near elation"

'Why are you so edgy, kid ?'
PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon »

Alias wrote:
PaulinLondon wrote:Thank you chaps.

Phil :?:
:lol: :lol:
adriana
Ugly
Ugly

Post by adriana »

Saw the Human league a few years back in cambridge. I quite enjoyed it but it seemed that most people in the audience had chosen the gig for their company Christmas party! Empire State Human was the clear highlight for me.

The Dare album is a classic (my copy was borrowed by everyone in my class at the time... but that may have also had something to do with the copy of Whitehouse hidden in the gatefold sleeve :grin: ! Much better to my ears are the earlier albums Reproduction and Travelogue.

Being Boiled on the other hand is truely iconic... a classic way ahead of its time!
Alias
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by Alias »

adriana wrote: The Dare album is a classic (my copy was borrowed by everyone in my class at the time... but that may have also had something to do with the copy of Whitehouse hidden in the gatefold sleeve :grin: !
:lol:

Tubular Bells, and Fiesta for me.
I'm a comedian and poet, so anything that doesn't get a laugh is a poem. B.Hicks.

"Further modulation of the frequency rotation, Triggered waveband activation - near elation"

'Why are you so edgy, kid ?'
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

Good read Paul. Always enjoy your reviews and especially your tips on where to eat & drink. Think I'll consult you before I go to any future London gigs. ;-)
PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon »

ThruBeingCool wrote:Good read Paul. Always enjoy your reviews and especially your tips on where to eat & drink. Think I'll consult you before I go to any future London gigs. ;-)
Cheers TBC. 8)

If you like Chinese, you'll love "Bar Shu". ;-)