Post by theraven1979 »

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
paulinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by paulinblack »

Jesus ! Where have the last 2 years gone !!!! Seems like only a couple of months ago.

Paul :(
G-L-O-S...Living in a flood plain!
Alenyx
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Alenyx »

Indeed!
Alan A Hillier
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Alan A Hillier »

paulinblack wrote:Jesus ! Where have the last 2 years gone !!!! Seems like only a couple of months ago.

Paul :(
That's true Paul......And it only seems like yesterday that he and I were sharing a few beers in our private club in convent Garden (Courtesy of a very young S. Strange)

P.S

Back in 1977 I once (not deliberately though..hehe ) stood on the fingers of his right hand whilst trying to negotiate a flight of stairs which was being completely dominated by him and the rest of the Clash .....

Well me and a few of the other Finchley Boys definately said "Coming through" as we trampled them under foot

Happy Days

Al
TO INFAMY AND........................... BEYOND
Dom P
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by Dom P »

Fuck is it that long ago? Did he die this close to Christmas? I saw a lot of him live with The Clash and when he went solo... a marvellously honest performer... he is buried up the road from me in Kensal Green cemetary, and I walk his adpoted manor day by day... "The Grove"... actually, yes, he was buried after Chritsmas now, I remember, they had a procession up Ladbroke Grove past his "favourite" pub The Elgin, while I was returning from in-law Xmas duty... missed it. Would have liked to have doffed my cap to the man. Whatever his background he made music that moved me to think and dance and change the world.

I remember with jealously that mates from my class at school in Finchley got tickets to see them at the Lyceum in October 1981, without telling me... I was a Rude Boy, you see, in to Madness and the Specials... so I wasn't welcome with the punx. Anyway, being 14 years old they went down the front intent on offloading a load of phlegm on to the stage.

Dave successfully landed a greeny on Joe's fret board during Tommy Gun, causing him to bum the note. Later, the lads got backstage and the band, being cool, didn't mind the crush of teen fans trying to get autographs and have a word. Dave had been a bit disappointed by the mellowness of a set dominated by Sandinista, and shouted from the back in his best aggressive manly voice: "Why didn't you play White Riot!?"

Joe fixed him with a manic adrenaline-fuelled glare, took a step towards him and firmly replied: "Because cunts like you were gobbing on my guitar!"

Little did Joe know how right he was...

RIP

PS Dave has since named his first son Joe.

Edited By Dom P on 1103761810
"I think you guys are going to have to come up with some wonderful new lies, or people just aren't going to want to go on living." -- Slaughterhouse-Five
gizzard
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by gizzard »

Nice piece that Dom.

RIP Joe.

Sadly missed.
''I THINK THE STRANGLERS ARE CRIMINALLY VULGAR, VIOLENT AND VORACIOUS, AND I OFTEN WONDER HOW THEY GET AWAY WITH IT.''
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Never really met Joe but I remember seeing him at Glastonbury 99` and he was awesome. It was filmed so there were all these camera`s about and Joe started ranting about CCTV. I was watching one of the giant video screens at the side of the stage. Joe jumped down into the pit where the cameras were (you could seem him getting closer and closer to the camera) then his arm went up and wallop he punches the camera. The 2 giant screens at the side of the stage roll, flicker then no picture. All this whilst the band play on and he`s still ranting - Cool as fuck.

A friend of mine met him backstage once and asked him to sign something - She didn`t have a pen so he reached into his pocket and said "Ah don`t worry I have my magic marker" and signed it for her. Top man. Sadly missed.
Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
C r a s s !
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by C r a s s ! »

Dom P wrote:I was a Rude Boy, you see, in to Madness and the Specials... so I wasn't welcome with the punx.
But as a Rude Boy, did you go see Rude Boy at the pix?

Ray Gange :D
http://www.strangled.co.uk/ The unofficial Stranglers site.

Dom P
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by Dom P »

C r a s s ! wrote:
Dom P wrote:I was a Rude Boy, you see, in to Madness and the Specials... so I wasn't welcome with the punx.

But as a Rude Boy, did you go see Rude Boy at the pix?

Ray Gange :D
Not at the pix but rented the video!
"I think you guys are going to have to come up with some wonderful new lies, or people just aren't going to want to go on living." -- Slaughterhouse-Five
Organ Grinder
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Organ Grinder »

Great story Dom. Made me chuckle. :D

Cannot believe it's TWO years now. Blimey. Funny how when you go to work someone sits on the pause button but for the rest of the time someone is sat on the FF button.

Hugh was interviewed on ITV lunchtime news the day Joe died. Anyone see him?
If Dave was to use a Hammond L100 for just one more gig I'd die content.
DoctorBlack
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by DoctorBlack »

Organ Grinder wrote:Hugh was interviewed on ITV lunchtime news the day Joe died. Anyone see him?
he was on BBC too - but later on in the day they'd managed to replace him with 'the music establishment' - mccartney, geldof etc.
Second coming.
Organ Grinder
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Organ Grinder »

Typical eh?
If Dave was to use a Hammond L100 for just one more gig I'd die content.