The Undertones - The Village, Dublin, Friday Dec 3rd

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

SmallPaul
Rats Rally

Post by SmallPaul »

Of all the many bands I've seen, some many times, I'd never seen The Undertones. They played the start of a short tour in Dublin last Friday, at a small-ish venue called The Village which is where The Stranglers played last year.

It was absolutely superb. No intro music, they just walk onstage, "Hello, we're The Undertones from Derry", then straight into 'Family Entertainment'. The set was taken largely from their excellent latest album (released last year) and the first album, plus all the singles - you know the ones. This was their first live performance since John Peel died, and naturally enough, 'Teenage Kicks' was dedicated to the great man.

The new singer is excellent - replacing Feargal Sharkey must've been difficult, but the new guy fits in brilliantly. But then, we all know how difficult it can be to replace the apparently irreplaceable, don't we?

If The Undertones come to a town near you soon, I very strongly urge to you to see them. You won't be disappointed, I guarantee it.

Paul
seeingtree
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by seeingtree »

The Undertones supported the Celtic/ACMilan game last night of all things. I fear dark times are around the corner for my club :(
col in a go go
SmallPaul
Rats Rally

Post by SmallPaul »

seeingtree wrote:The Undertones supported the Celtic/ACMilan game last night of all things. I fear dark times are around the corner for my club :(
When you say they supported the Celtic/AC Milan game, what do you mean (at the risk of looking stupid here)? You mean they sat in the stands supporting the Hoops, or they actually played?

Also, I know that Celtic have a huge Irish following, but how come at away games, it's nearly always Irish tricolours that you can see, and not the Scottish flag?

Paul
seeingtree
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by seeingtree »

They actually played live.

Em. The 2nd question. There is not short answer to that one so I'll pass on it. :)
col in a go go
doninblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by doninblack »

The Tones did a four song pre-match "gigette". I think some of em are Celtic fans so obviously have a connection or two at the club.
Talking bullshit on a slow repeat.
seeingtree
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by seeingtree »

doninblack wrote:The Tones did a four song pre-match "gigette". I think some of em are Celtic fans so obviously have a connection or two at the club.
Don, you're not a fellow (Celtic) supporter are you?
col in a go go
doninblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by doninblack »

Fraid not... my team wear blue (no, not the one you're thinking of)... Staggies for me. Bemusement all round, I guess?
SmallPaul
Rats Rally

Post by SmallPaul »

doninblack wrote:The Tones did a four song pre-match "gigette". I think some of em are Celtic fans so obviously have a connection or two at the club.
What songs did they do?

Paul
seeingtree
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by seeingtree »

SmallPaul wrote:What songs did they do?

Paul
Can't help you there, sorry. My missus continued her 10 years plus stretch of making us arrive in the ground just as the kick off whistle goes.

No wonder I've started to hate football so much. I'm always so tense by the time we get there. :(
col in a go go
doninblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by doninblack »

A little bird tells me they did YGMNumber, GOYou, Thrill Me and TKicks, and they went down a storm. Not a bad plug in front of 58,000!
SmallPaul
Rats Rally

Post by SmallPaul »

seeingtree wrote:I fear dark times are around the corner for my club :(
Yeah, me too - Gillingham FC.

Paul
seeingtree
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by seeingtree »

SmallPaul wrote:
seeingtree wrote:I fear dark times are around the corner for my club :(

Yeah, me too - Gillingham FC.

Paul
The problem with having a season ticket is that you are stuck with whoever you are next to. We get on pretty well with the guys next to us as we've been sitting next to each other since the late 90s, but of late we've begun arguing a bit about what to do with the side. You do well for a few seasons and expectations soar. He says 'the board have to spend money', I say 'they don't have any money' etc etc

I'm sure this is echoed round every club big and small round the country :)
col in a go go