The Damned @ Leeds

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Was it two minds whether to actually go to this gig at all. Mainly due to the fact that the gig was at Leeds Uni. Saw the Buzzcocks there last year and the sound was fuckin chronic. In the end Lammy said she wouldn`t mind going so I decided to take the car and drive into Leeds. Thought the car journey through Leeds city centre was gonna be a nightmare but I handled it surprisingly well. Got there for about 9ish - just in time to grab a pint and a piss.

Made our way into the student hall and it was already rammed. Lammy being 5ft 4 was not gonna be seeing much of Sensible (probably a good thing!). I managed to find a decent spot where I could see most of the stage. However, one complete twat in a fur-lined jacket in front of me wouldn`t stop moving from side to side - really pissed me off - he was like following Vanian across the stage with his head. Came very close to sticking my keys across his face but found the funny side when everytime Lammy struck up a cig he was turning round to make sure his beloved fur lined hood was ok. Anyway....................

Band come on at around 9.30 and it`s straight into most of MGE the set even starts with the "...how do!". We soon find out that Cap has the flu and his roadie (who seemed to spend more time on stage than Cap!) kept handing him tissues to wipe his nose - his guitar playing suffered slightly as well. About a third into the set Cap (much to my delight) has a rant at the soundman (the sound is proper shite as usual at this venue). Cap is complaining that there`s not enough "white light" on stage so he can`t see what he`s playing "Oi! soundman if you don`t get some proper light on here I will come down there in 5 mins and wrap my guitar round your head" - Of course this could`ve all been resolved if Cap took his shades off!!. Cap remains surprisingly quiet for the rest of the set. Apart from the odd "I`m a star" rant to which Vanian (in perfect comic timing) shouts "Now you`ve all been indulged in Cap`s ego this next song....". Pinch also has a bit of a drama queen moment when he announces that "some days you have good gigs and some days you have bad ones - sorry folks but tonight is a bad one"

Great gig - didn`t bother with the encore. We enjoyed it but I think I`ll be giving Leeds uni a miss in future.

Yeah Magic Potion sounded great and it was cool to hear most of MGE especially Second Time Around and all the other "hits" Love Song, Elouise, Ignite

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
gizzard
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by gizzard »

Great stuff Jim! :D

I'm seeing them in Bristol tonight! :D

Magic Potions a top song eh?
''I THINK THE STRANGLERS ARE CRIMINALLY VULGAR, VIOLENT AND VORACIOUS, AND I OFTEN WONDER HOW THEY GET AWAY WITH IT.''