Great Estate Festival 2024

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Palais23
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Re: Great Estate Festival 2024

Post by Palais23 »

theraven1979 wrote: 22 Dec 2023, 11:33
Homer wrote:
Cells&Plasma wrote: 21 Dec 2023, 08:04

What about Halifax or Rebellion??

Do you mean Scotland??

Not quite as far ... Durham area, tho Halifax isn't too bad.
You're getting to the "if they play my back garden I might see them" stage

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
It's age Jim - you'll be next!
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Palais23 wrote:
Homer wrote:

Jim

I'm hurtling towards me 50s. Already looking at comfy cushions

Jim

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Homer
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Homer »

Homer wrote:
Cells&Plasma wrote: 21 Dec 2023, 08:04

What about Halifax or Rebellion??

Do you mean Scotland??

Jim

True :-)
Homer
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Homer »

It is actually ... you come to realise they're just people who play music. I was a die hard fan, these days I have far more important people & things/hobbies in my life. When I do go to see them yeah I do enjoy ... but its also the social side of it I enjoy most.
Looked at going to the Phoenix,AZ gig as I'm in the US at the time ... but its far too far to drive lol.
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

Homer wrote: 22 Dec 2023, 19:40
It is actually ... you come to realise they're just people who play music. I was a die hard fan, these days I have far more important people & things/hobbies in my life. When I do go to see them yeah I do enjoy ... but its also the social side of it I enjoy most.
Looked at going to the Phoenix,AZ gig as I'm in the US at the time ... but its far too far to drive lol.
Thats old age doing that to you lol
Priorities for all of us do change over time you cant beat hearing No More Heroes for the first time ever when i was 11 in 1977 a point in time i will never forget
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

ThinkTank wrote: 29 Dec 2023, 13:34
Priorities for all of us do change over time you cant beat hearing No More Heroes for the first time ever when i was 11 in 1977 a point in time i will never forget
Yeah your right about hearing those great songs for what they were back in the day..
They are classics forever for sure but not somehow the same as how i heard them back in the day as a teenager.
I suppose we've heard them all now a million times over the decades lol
Also being performed today isn't quite the same as once was with a youthfull Hugh & JJ who let's be honest...... were just bloody awesome !!
Never mind I was there seeing them at their peak banging these classics out..
I always left those London gigs on top of the world for days.....lol
If I saw them today it just wouldn't have the same effect as a gigs worth at all for me not that it's a knock because they are still giving a dam good gig but gigs today are just not the same I can't put my finger on it it went with the times and everything that went with a gig in those late '70s early '80s...it not being MK1 might have a little bit to do with it well...a lot really lol
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

toilerinblack wrote: 29 Dec 2023, 19:39

Yeah your right about hearing those great songs for what they were back in the day..
They are classics forever for sure but not somehow the same as how i heard them back in the day as a teenager.
Also being performed today isn't quite the same as once was with a youthfull Hugh & JJ who let's be honest...... were just bloody awesome !!
If I saw them today it just wouldn't have the same effect as a gigs worth at all for me not that it's a knock because they are still giving a dam good gig but gigs today are just not the same I can't put my finger on it it went with the times and everything that went with a gig in those late '70s early '80s...it not being MK1 might have a little bit to do with it well...a lot really lol
Yeah its not a knock at all i do get that besides the band did sound so awesome back in the day but it takes a hell of a lot more now to impress me. When you are in your 50's you have seen it all before nothing feels new or so special as its something that you have experienced already many times over in your past.

The first gig i ever saw of the Stranglers hit me like a bullet i can remember every moment of that gig and every track that they did and will never forget either as it was the first time i had ever seen them with no spoilers either like you get today with youtube etc. From being someone that loved the band i never thought that seeing them live would trump all their studio work but it did and I really was just totally effected by that especially just being a youngster at 16 years of age.

Today however its a bit like seen it, done that before blah blah i am more cynical and more judgemental so its got to be amazing to impress me now. Even seeing Hugh live and that was terrific but the first gig of seeing him i cant remember the track listings lol as great as it was its lacking details with me now as its not going to have the same effect as it did when i was 16 when seeing the Stranglers for the first time. No criticism but Hugh at he's age now is no where near the same performer that he was when i saw him in The Stranglers he really is only a shadow of he's former self but he still gives a great show that's very enjoyable to see and to return to see more.

Priorities change when you get older other things become more important like the previous poster mentioned.

I remember you saying you saw the band a few years before i did and that's really cool and that must have been something else and quite amazing that you still have your enthusiasm today its why on another thread i thought it would be a good move for the band to try something to make each gig for their 50th extra special and unique for its audience for their life long support. I am talking about the spinning wheel so every gig would be unique to just those that have attended.
You know what i am saying this 50th is just as relevant to some of the fans as it is for the band.
Homer
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Homer »

Would lke to add re the age thing .... I still love 'live' music, Frank Turner, The K's,Hooky to name a few
I will try and catch The Strangs this year, might go and See Cornwell at the Northern Kin festival, only thing putting me off he's on the Sunday lol ...I normally leave festival sites Sunday morning :lol: :lol: :lol:
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

ThinkTank wrote: 29 Dec 2023, 20:31

Yeah its not a knock at all i do get that besides the band did sound so awesome back in the day but it takes a hell of a lot more now to impress me. When you are in your 50's you have seen it all before nothing feels new or so special as its something that you have experienced already many times over in your past.

The first gig i ever saw of the Stranglers hit me like a bullet i can remember every moment of that gig and every track that they did and will never forget either as it was the first time i had ever seen them with no spoilers either like you get today with youtube etc. From being someone that loved the band i never thought that seeing them live would trump all their studio work but it did and I really was just totally effected by that especially just being a youngster at 16 years of age.

Today however its a bit like seen it, done that before blah blah i am more cynical and more judgemental so its got to be amazing to impress me now. Even seeing Hugh live and that was terrific but the first gig of seeing him i cant remember the track listings lol as great as it was its lacking details with me now as its not going to have the same effect as it did when i was 16 when seeing the Stranglers for the first time. No criticism but Hugh at he's age now is no where near the same performer that he was when i saw him in The Stranglers he really is only a shadow of he's former self but he still gives a great show that's very enjoyable to see and to return to see more.

Priorities change when you get older other things become more important like the previous poster mentioned.

I remember you saying you saw the band a few years before i did and that's really cool and that must have been something else and quite amazing that you still have your enthusiasm today its why on another thread i thought it would be a good move for the band to try something to make each gig for their 50th extra special and unique for its audience for their life long support. I am talking about the spinning wheel so every gig would be unique to just those that have attended.
You know what i am saying this 50th is just as relevant to some of the fans as it is for the band.
Yeah your right... I think the 50th is a special landmark and year for some fans as well as it is for the band and for some other fans it might not be so special because it's not the original line up celebrating the 50th still together.
But in reality a band still together this long as it was when they first started out is gonna not be likely or realistic as 50 years is a long time in music and most musicians move on with directions unless less your the Stones maybel lol
For me it's about this band the Stranglers,the name,the entity what first started out in '74 reaching the 50th landmark next year in '24 is an achievement and something special regardless of whose left come in and left too within the 5 decades.
This band have bypassed anything ever thought it ever would by Jet the founder who has said keep it going until the last man's standing,that's the entity as a whole he's thinking of that toke a lot of time and skintless sweat to build up and be recognised in those early '70s years and I for one think he's right even if it's not the original line up left but equally as important is that their music has made it and is heard next year especially for the members sadly no longer here with us and back in '74 I'm sure not even Jet would ever imagine that ever possible.....but next year they've made 50 years.
I get some fans thinking oh it's their 50th but no Hugh and it's not the same but for me it's more than that this bands music they have created has reached the 50th year and surely if your a fan of this bands music and not so much a particular member or members isn't here but the love of the bands music is a pretty major factor too,well j thi k so as o ly one long term fan anyway and those who see them in 2024 i hope they really enjoy the special year it is.
We all differ with opinions and likes....but this is only how I feel as one fans worth coming to the bands 50th year........Next year.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 29 Dec 2023, 22:49, edited 1 time in total.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

toilerinblack wrote: 29 Dec 2023, 22:13

All next year's gigs will be special in their 50th.
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

ThinkTank wrote: 29 Dec 2023, 13:34 Priorities for all of us do change over time you cant beat hearing No More Heroes for the first time ever when i was 11 in 1977 a point in time i will never forget
Yep! As I did on my little radio under the bedclothes tuned into Radio Luxembourg. I looked forward to hearing plenty of good tunes at this time, NMH being one of them.
Let's Boogie
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

toilerinblack wrote: 29 Dec 2023, 22:13

We all differ with opinions and likes....but we are coming into this bands 50th year producing such great music and it's their music that should be celebrated in 2024 regardless of members.