Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Re: Now and Then..... release day.

Post by markorbit »

Video 10/10. Song 7/10 maybe 8/10.

To get a 'new' Beatles single in 2023 is fantastic. I doubt many of us were old enough to appreciate them in their heyday. Sgt Pepper has some of the best bass playing ever. You can't seriously question the quality of their best songs. Not to be morbid but we can't be too far away from when they are all gone. How cool is Ringo? Legends.
Let's Boogie
jonimac
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by jonimac »

I think I prefer this version

https://youtu.be/2tSefoJDKsU?si=OhH3Z_dC8GlPbyNx

A very accomplished cover that Ron Nasty would be proud of !
From Glasgow, the centre of Stranglermania (copyright Strangled 1982)
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

So is this just an old demo that's been cleaned up or had bits added to by Paul and Ringo?
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

jason wrote: 05 Nov 2023, 13:37 So is this just an old demo that's been cleaned up or had bits added to by Paul and Ringo?
It's an old simple demo of Johns (circa 1979) that the other three tried to make work in 1995 or so. At that time it couldn't be cleaned up enough so it was abandoned. I think George is on it. The new version might have recent additions by Paul & Ringo.
Let's Boogie
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

markorbit wrote: 05 Nov 2023, 13:54
jason wrote: 05 Nov 2023, 13:37 So is this just an old demo that's been cleaned up or had bits added to by Paul and Ringo?
It's an old simple demo of Johns (circa 1979) that the other three tried to make work in 1995 or so. At that time it couldn't be cleaned up enough so it was abandoned. I think George is on it. The new version might have recent additions by Paul & Ringo.
Yes your right '79 original cassette demo by John of his vocals and piano then in '95 Ringo put on percussion and George's slide guitar and vocals with Paul's bass and vocals.
Now in '23 Paul has added his piano and redone new basslines and vocals and Ringo redone his drums along with his new vocals.
So I think it's just John's vocals only now on it as the piano work is now Paul's if i'm correct lol it's complicated.The video work is one of the best I've seen taking into account the whole meaning of it all through lots of different decades to finally have the finished artical that had very clever technology used to recreate the four together once again,something in a music video if never seen before this.
It's very much up to each person if they like it or not certainly with what they have now finished is ground breaking.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

Thanks for clearing that up. It would be great if some old Stranglers demos could be cleaned up and released one day.
jonimac
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by jonimac »

Paul actually did the George-like slide solo.
George contributes an acoustic guitar part from 1994.

Got to say I’m not a fan of the video at all.
From Glasgow, the centre of Stranglermania (copyright Strangled 1982)
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

toilerinblack wrote: 05 Nov 2023, 14:45
markorbit wrote: 05 Nov 2023, 13:54
Yes your right '79 original cassette demo by John of his vocals and piano then in '95 Ringo put on percussion and George's slide guitar and vocals with Paul's bass and vocals.
Now in '23 Paul has added his piano and redone new basslines and vocals and Ringo redone his drums along with his new vocals.
So I think it's just John's vocals only now on it as the piano work is now Paul's if i'm correct lol it's complicated.The video work is one of the best I've seen taking into account the whole meaning of it all through lots of different decades to finally have the finished artical that had very clever technology used to recreate the four together once again,something in a music video if never seen before this.
It's very much up to each person if they like it or not certainly with what they have now finished is ground breaking.
I was expecting that to be really awful but its not too bad . Its not my sort of thing to want to own or buy but then i am not a fanatical Beatles fan either. I have a few compilation albums from them and that's all i need really.
I actually really enjoyed watching that official video though and it has encouraged me to have a bit of a Beatles listen later today but i wont be buying that but thanks for the heads up it made a nice listen and a good reminder of their magic.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Looks like it's gonna be their 18th no.1 .....
The lennon melody construction is something that he does that just seems to work so well I mean the chorus of starting it with a major chord followed by three consecutive minor chords and back to the major is clever that works so well and he was genius with chord construction and I've found it just beautiful to play on my acoustic.
This ground breaking track will always be a bench mark and remembered forever with the usage of today's technology apart form it being just a wonderful song made better the beatles finished style and way and I don't think it would of sounded as good had he released it on his solo own.
I think Paul as taken it to another level with chopping bits off and leaving lots out and adding bits for the better that I think tbh wouldn't of sounded the great full production it has turned out to be what with the added lovely piano and strings and most importantly the harmonising in....the Beatles distinctive way of doing things.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

The cover art is shit as well

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Everything to do with this song for me is ....quality and their 18th fully deserved no.1 says it all really with the general public.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Yes, it says that The Beatles are a big brand name and people have bought into the hype.