Rolling Stones chat

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Re: Dark Matters has it stood the test of time?

Post by markorbit »

StanInBlack wrote: 23 Oct 2023, 17:50
markorbit wrote: 23 Oct 2023, 16:17 Had a quick flick through Hackney Diamonds on youtube. Any bass lines anywhere? I didn't catch any. I didn't hear anything like the tasteful playing in 'Too Much Blood' for example. I did notice they had Sir Paul on one track.
Nobody listens to The Rolling Stones for the basslines.
Is that a no then?
Let's Boogie
kenl
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by kenl »

StanInBlack wrote: 23 Oct 2023, 17:46
Greatkudu wrote: 23 Oct 2023, 09:42
StanInBlack wrote: 22 Oct 2023, 23:08

Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, the creative forces of The Rolling Stones since the very beginning, are still very much there. You go to see the Stones live, you see legends. You go to see JJ & Friends live, you see Baz Warne and the keyboardist from Rialto. Not quite the same thing, methinks.

Charlie Watts and Bill Wyman are both on the new record, by the way.
The Stones were formed by Brian Jones,alot of people think they were never as good again and then Mr Watts dying another dilution,so it's all opinions.Major Kudu.
Their peak period is generally considered to be 1968 to 1972, and there ain't an awful lot of Brian Jones there. What Stones classics did he write, again?
How old are you @StanInBlack
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

Nobody listens to The Rolling Stones for the bassline
Oh yes Bill Wyman is a great player, listen to Emotional Rescue for example. Or Start Me Up. Love his work. On some occasions Keith played the bass parts and those were great too.
Their peak period is generally considered to be 1968 to 1972, and there ain't an awful lot of Brian Jones there. What Stones classics did he write, again?
Jones did not write much at all, but he was the one that started the band and he chose their material in the early days when they were covering US R&B and rock n roll songs. When Jagger and Richards started writing the hits he was the man that gave it a creative flavour because of all the instruments he added. Listen to the dulcimer on Lady Jane, marimbas on Yesterday's Papers, the slide on No Expectations, the flutes and keyboards on She's a Rainbow. Just to name a few.
Without Jones they became more standard rock n roll.
My fave lps are Aftermath and Between the Buttons. No Jones No Stones.
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

evonx wrote: 23 Oct 2023, 21:12
Nobody listens to The Rolling Stones for the bassline
Oh yes Bill Wyman is a great player, listen to Emotional Rescue for example. Or Start Me Up. Love his work. On some occasions Keith played the bass parts and those were great too.
Jones did not write much at all, but he was the one that started the band and he chose their material in the early days when they were covering US R&B and rock n roll songs. When Jagger and Richards started writing the hits he was the man that gave it a creative flavour because of all the instruments he added. Listen to the dulcimer on Lady Jane, marimbas on Yesterday's Papers, the slide on No Expectations, the flutes and keyboards on She's a Rainbow. Just to name a few.
Without Jones they became more standard rock n roll.
My fave lps are Aftermath and Between the Buttons. No Jones No Stones.
Sir so true about Brian Jones,he was a multi talented musician and the most charismatic member of the band,and like you said gave Jagger and Richards songs a creative flavour, something definitely missing when he was fired.Major Kudu.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

I like (the UK versions, not the US versions) of Aftermath and Between the Buttons too and feel both are underrated, but while I appreciate what Brian Jones brought to the band in their psychedelic era, they were just getting warmed up. They didn't truly become THE STONES until Beggars Banquet, by which point Jones' time was up. The cult of Brian Jones was always bizarre to me. He was never the guitarist that Keith Richards was/is.

Not denying that Wyman is/was a good player, but he's far down the list of reasons to listen to the Stones.
Waffle waitress
Rats Rally

Post by Waffle waitress »

Honestly though, lf l am ever asked who the worst guitar player lve seen live is, l would have to say Keef. I mean, l love the guy, and a lot of his writing has been stone cold classics, obviously, and, granted, lm talking about the Urban Jungle and Bigger Bang tours, so hardly classic lineups (though l did see Wyman), but his guitar solo for Sympathy was hellish, and not in a good way. I mean, even l could probly sing the complete solo, the whole Hampden crowd knew it, the song (and firey stage production) had been building up to it, and it was a total damp squid. He must have played about a second or two of one of the lines, then just fucked off into wrong note bluesy noodling. And l really don't think it was a case of Keef flying off into the stratosphere on an inspirational improvised odyssey, it was just a melody free twanging for about two minutes.
And l fucking love that solo. :smt009

If lm being controversial, l could also site Pete Townsend overpaying the classic sharp guitar lines of Substitute, surely one of the perfect sub 3 minute pop songs, for about another 8 minutes of crap bluesy fiddling. Back when the Ox was in the band :wink:
(all that's missing is the choker)

Liberez les Stranglers!
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Re: Rolling Stones chat

Post by theraven1979 »

Boing
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

The Who should have stopped after Keith Moon died. Both Moon and Entwistle were intrinsic to the sound of the band, so it's difficult for me to call the current iteration of the band The Who. It's the same as Hugh, Jet and Dave being intrinsic to the sound of The Stranglers and it not being The Stranglers without them.

The Rolling Stones have always operated in a different way, mostly as a vehicle for Mick & Keith, and they were always more than a little flexible when it came to personnel on their recordings. One could argue that Charlie Watts was also intrinsic to the sound of the Stones, although I've never really rated him as a drummer and it's refreshing to hear the Stones without listening to someone who sounds like they've just sat in front of a drum kit for the first time.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Waffle waitress wrote: 24 Oct 2023, 11:13 Honestly though, lf l am ever asked who the worst guitar player lve seen live is, l would have to say Keef. I mean, l love the guy, and a lot of his writing has been stone cold classics, obviously, and, granted, lm talking about the Urban Jungle and Bigger Bang tours, so hardly classic lineups (though l did see Wyman), but his guitar solo for Sympathy was hellish, and not in a good way. I mean, even l could probly sing the complete solo, the whole Hampden crowd knew it, the song (and firey stage production) had been building up to it, and it was a total damp squid. He must have played about a second or two of one of the lines, then just fucked off into wrong note bluesy noodling. And l really don't think it was a case of Keef flying off into the stratosphere on an inspirational improvised odyssey, it was just a melody free twanging for about two minutes.

If lm being controversial, l could also site Pete Townsend overpaying the classic sharp guitar lines of Substitute, surely one of the perfect sub 3 minute pop songs, for about another 8 minutes of crap bluesy fiddling. Back when the Ox was in the band :wink:
To be even more controversial and thats not like me :smt005 I would say Keith is a pretty average guitar player and Townshend to but they suit the bands they are in.Major Kudu.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Greatkudu wrote: 24 Oct 2023, 14:43 I would say Keith is a pretty average guitar player
I guess that would make Brian Jones a below average guitarist, then.
Waffle waitress
Rats Rally

Greatkudu wrote: 24 Oct 2023, 14:43
Waffle waitress wrote: 24 Oct 2023, 11:13 Honestly though, lf l am ever asked who the worst guitar player lve seen live is, l would have to say Keef. I mean, l love the guy, and a lot of his writing has been stone cold classics, obviously, and, granted, lm talking about the Urban Jungle and Bigger Bang tours, so hardly classic lineups (though l did see Wyman), but his guitar solo for Sympathy was hellish, and not in a good way. I mean, even l could probly sing the complete solo, the whole Hampden crowd knew it, the song (and firey stage production) had been building up to it, and it was a total damp squid. He must have played about a second or two of one of the lines, then just fucked off into wrong note bluesy noodling. And l really don't think it was a case of Keef flying off into the stratosphere on an inspirational improvised odyssey, it was just a melody free twanging for about two minutes.

To be even more controversial and thats not like me :smt005 I would say Keith is a pretty average guitar player and Townshend to but they suit the bands they are in.Major Kudu.
Nah, ask the average punter to name a real guitar hero and ld hope both Keef and Townsend would be in there. It's a legacy now, for sure, but both arguably formed the basic bed rock of what rock music would become.

Liberez les Stranglers!
Waffle waitress
Rats Rally

As a wee aside, the last time l saw the Stones, the Charlatans were the support, and they reminded me of the Stranglers, a bit, that night. They had a wee smaller stage set up for them to play on at the front of the Stones big stage, and throughout their set what l could only assume to be Charlatans fans swarmed and bounced all around the wee stage. I had a seat up in row Z of Hampden, but could look down on them digging their favourite band with abandon as real Stones fans looked on, bemused. The dedication of those Charlatans fans made me think of Stranglers fans doing similar. And lm sure at least half of them disappeared off into the night after the band they had obviously came to see had finished, and well before the headliners had started anything up..

Liberez les Stranglers!