Rolling Stones chat

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Dark Matters has it stood the test of time?

Post by Greatkudu »

Waffle waitress wrote: 24 Oct 2023, 18:53
Greatkudu wrote: 24 Oct 2023, 14:43
Waffle waitress wrote: 24 Oct 2023, 11:13 Honestly though, lf l am ever asked who the worst guitar player lve seen live is, l would have to say Keef. I mean, l love the guy, and a lot of his writing has been stone cold classics, obviously, and, granted, lm talking about the Urban Jungle and Bigger Bang tours, so hardly classic lineups (though l did see Wyman), but his guitar solo for Sympathy was hellish, and not in a good way. I mean, even l could probly sing the complete solo, the whole Hampden crowd knew it, the song (and firey stage production) had been building up to it, and it was a total damp squid. He must have played about a second or two of one of the lines, then just fucked off into wrong note bluesy noodling. And l really don't think it was a case of Keef flying off into the stratosphere on an inspirational improvised odyssey, it was just a melody free twanging for about two minutes.
And l fucking love that solo. :smt009

If lm being controversial, l could also site Pete Townsend overpaying the classic sharp guitar lines of Substitute, surely one of the perfect sub 3 minute pop songs, for about another 8 minutes of crap bluesy fiddling. Back when the Ox was in the band :wink:
To be even more controversial and thats not like me :smt005 I would say Keith is a pretty average guitar player and Townshend to but they suit the bands they are in.Major Kudu.
Nah, ask the average punter to name a real guitar hero and ld hope both Keef and Townsend would be in there. It's a legacy now, for sure, but both arguably formed the basic bed rock of what rock music would become.
Hell no the Man who formed the basic bed rock for what music would become was arguably Chuck Berry,he was a great influence on everyone.Major Kudu.
Waffle waitress
Rats Rally

Re: Rolling Stones chat

Post by Waffle waitress »

Another real guitar hero, for sure.
(all that's missing is the choker)

Liberez les Stranglers!
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

Keef ain’t the best guitar player in the world but who cares? Not Keef.
He took the ‘Open G’ tuning originally intended for slide guitar and instead used it for rhythm, thus creating one of the most instantly recognisable guitar voices on the planet 8)
Shush this is serious
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

StanInBlack wrote: 24 Oct 2023, 14:43 The Who should have stopped after Keith Moon died. Both Moon and Entwistle were intrinsic to the sound of the band, so it's difficult for me to call the current iteration of the band The Who. It's the same as Hugh, Jet and Dave being intrinsic to the sound of The Stranglers and it not being The Stranglers without them.

The Rolling Stones have always operated in a different way, mostly as a vehicle for Mick & Keith, and they were always more than a little flexible when it came to personnel on their recordings. One could argue that Charlie Watts was also intrinsic to the sound of the Stones, although I've never really rated him as a drummer and it's refreshing to hear the Stones without listening to someone who sounds like they've just sat in front of a drum kit for the first time.
Sir wow come on the comment about Mr Watts drumming is baffling to say the least,are you serious Mr Watts was a fantastic drummer,I can't let you get away with your comments,in what aspect do you Consider Mr Watts drumming rudimentary as you imply? Are you a drummer? Major Kudu.
clutchingmyteddybear
Rats Rally

Post by clutchingmyteddybear »

It’s a great album. It’s a bit of nonsense when folks say it can’t be the stones without Brian Jones. I mean he died 50+ years back and their best albums, in my opinion, were Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers and Exile. After his death. I think he might feature on some of Let It Bleed.
how did I get down here, well it's a long story
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

clutchingmyteddybear wrote: 25 Oct 2023, 13:35 It’s a great album. It’s a bit of nonsense when folks say it can’t be the stones without Brian Jones. I mean he died 50+ years back and their best albums, in my opinion, were Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers and Exile. After his death. I think he might feature on some of Let It Bleed.
He's barely on Let It Bleed, probably on one or two tracks in some very very small capacity.