The Stones..Hackney Diamonds.

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

The Stones..Hackney Diamonds.

Post by toilerinblack »

Some may think should they still keep going on as a band nowday's or not but after 18 years from their last album in October they will be releasing Hackney Diamonds and I was watching their conference in London to promote the Album and after hearing "Angry" which will be their first single off it I thought the song sounded really really good.
Mick said if we are gojng to release another album then it's gotta be bloody good and from only the one song i've heard that was excellent then I think they are gojng to have huge success with it.
Also a bit like the Dave situation with the Stranglers where they had alot of his work done before his passing the Stones too had with Charlie too but only on two tracks worth and on one of those tracks Mick got Bill Wyman in so all the original members were on this one track.
Take a listen to Angry on youtube great video too and see what you think of it that's if you like the Stones that is...many will and many won't.
For me I'm not a huge fan of them touring still but as for new material in the studio it sounded really good and fair play to them.
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: The Stones..Hackney Diamonds.

Post by evonx »

Angry sounds good. Typical Wood/ Richards guitars, drums sounds fantastic and Jagger sounding at least 30 years younger than he is.
Having said that, my fave stones records are from the sixties and early seventies. "No Jones No Stones".
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

Well I like some Stones stuff but not all.
Will listen to the new album out of curiosity more than anything.

Whatever you think of them I think you gotta give it to them. It's quite incredible that they're still going with such energetic performances after so many decades. They can't need the money, and so it's gotta be for the love of it.
These guys have been together for so long... they don't seem to have suffered the nonsense that Hugh & JJ have, or perhaps they've just managed it better. I guess the huge success has helped. Hats off to them true rock & roll legends..

Sent from my moto g62 5G using Tapatalk

I Hate You !
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

evonx wrote: 09 Sep 2023, 11:09 Angry sounds good. Typical Wood/ Richards guitars, drums sounds fantastic and Jagger sounding at least 30 years younger than he is.
Having said that, my fave stones records are from the sixties and early seventies. "No Jones No Stones".
Yes I agree and it does sound like the Stones of old with classic sounding guitars from Wood/Richards and I was amazed at Micks vocals where they cleverly had on the video out on highway billboards using old footage of them from back in the day that gave an overall old classic Stones look and feel to it all very clever....they sound brilliant.
You have to hand it to them for knowing how to promote themselves still today big style I mean the press conference up on stage in Hackney wilth all the plush red drop velvet curtains to get the world's attention of their new album....PR at it's best!!!!
That's how one of the biggest bands in the world do it big time in style and even catching RIchards singing autographs to passes by in the back of a London cab.....very good and it just goes to show when you are at the top of the tree of your craft...... your never to old!
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Yes fair play to them,good on them for releasing a new album,the song sounds pretty good,not a huge Stones fan but their importance in Rock n Roll was the template for so many bands,Mick's voice is still good,of course it can never be as good without Charlie but he gave the band his blessing to carry on,of course they don't need the money,they just love what they do,and their energy is amazing,puts to shame bands half their age.Major Kudu.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 09 Sep 2023, 19:58 Yes fair play to them,good on them for releasing a new album,the song sounds pretty good,not a huge Stones fan but their importance in Rock n Roll was the template for so many bands,Mick's voice is still good,of course it can never be as good without Charlie but he gave the band his blessing to carry on,of course they don't need the money,they just love what they do,and their energy is amazing,puts to shame bands half their age.Major Kudu.
Yes I'm not a huge stones fan either but I thought fair play to them on the one song I heard that was good and the drummer they have used was chosen by Charlie himself if and when he couldn't ever play so that is what MIck did bring jn the Dummer Charlie chose himself which I thought is kind of nice too a bit like the Stranglers trying to carry on without Dave i feel too the Stones said it's been so hard carrying on without Charlie whose been there so long just like Dave did too I feel sadness for two very seperate very long running bands.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 09 Sep 2023, 20:37, edited 7 times in total.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

toilerinblack wrote: 09 Sep 2023, 20:25
Greatkudu wrote: 09 Sep 2023, 19:58 Yes fair play to them,good on them for releasing a new album,the song sounds pretty good,not a huge Stones fan but their importance in Rock n Roll was the template for so many bands,Mick's voice is still good,of course it can never be as good without Charlie but he gave the band his blessing to carry on,of course they don't need the money,they just love what they do,and their energy is amazing,puts to shame bands half their age.Major Kudu.
Yes I'm not a huge stones fan either but I thought fair play to them on the one song I heard that was good and the drummer they have used was chosen by Charlie himself if and when he couldn't ever play so that mich did and his drumming whoever he is sounds bloody good too.
Sounds like Charlie on the single,I've heard it a few times and I really like it, Charlie was a fantastic drummer,Jet used to like his style.Major Kudu.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 09 Sep 2023, 20:27
toilerinblack wrote: 09 Sep 2023, 20:25
Yes I'm not a huge stones fan either but I thought fair play to them on the one song I heard that was good and the drummer they have used was chosen by Charlie himself if and when he couldn't ever play so that mich did and his drumming whoever he is sounds bloody good too.
Sounds like Charlie on the single,I've heard it a few times and I really like it, Charlie was a fantastic drummer,Jet used to like his style.Major Kudu.
He might of drummed on Angry I'm not sure MIck did say Charlie has drummed on two of the albums songs so it might be that track I wouldn't know but you could be right.
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

Charlie Watts isn't on Angry but two other tracks. I have never been a Stones fan but I was interested in the new single. It sounded like money for old rope with a massive marketing machine behind it. If anybody else plays that simple two chord riff it's rubbish but when they do it it's 'the Stones'.

The next day I had an urge to watch the video again and had to admit begrudgingly that the single delivers on what you'd expect it to. All this is quite an achievement for them so late in the day. Also the video is superb whilst at the same time avoiding the 'aren't they old' problem and tapping into the reminders of their heydays. All very smart really.

There's also a Hackney Diamonds website where you can of course spend a fortune.

I did like the 'ad' teaser implying that something was coming if you got the clues.
Let's Boogie
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

markorbit wrote: 09 Sep 2023, 22:27 Charlie Watts isn't on Angry but two other tracks. I have never been a Stones fan but I was interested in the new single. It sounded like money for old rope with a massive marketing machine behind it. If anybody else plays that simple two chord riff it's rubbish but when they do it it's 'the Stones'.

The next day I had an urge to watch the video again and had to admit begrudgingly that the single delivers on what you'd expect it to. All this is quite an achievement for them so late in the day. Also the video is superb whilst at the same time avoiding the 'aren't they old' problem and tapping into the reminders of their heydays. All very smart really.

There's also a Hackney Diamonds website where you can of course spend a fortune.

I did like the 'ad' teaser implying that something was coming if you got the clues.
OK it was on two other tracks Charlie drummed on thanks,like I say I'm not really a huge stones fan to much tbh but i do like some of their old catalogue there's been some great songs in the past and i feel not being a big stones fan myself but those who are will think differently to me that them touring still is a bit long in the tooth and had their day but I did like the song along with it's brilliant vid production on this one new single which is classic simple stones riffs done so very distinctively well...fair play to them on an album I'm sure they will do very well with and especially as there are guest artists on the album too with the likes of Paul Maccartney,Lady Ga Ga and Stevie Wonder I think I heard them say at the album opening conference but I could be wrong if you like that sort of thing that is.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Good luck to them,I do like the single,and the drummer who took over from Charlie sounds just like the late Charlie.Major Kudu.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

I gave this a listen when it was released and all I could hear was the pitch correction on Jagger's voice which is so blatant it ruins the track for me.