If the Stranglers did a Nirvana cover.....

4 More Heroes, No More Heroes, The Meninblack etc etc in ere

Moderator: StanInBlack

Waffle waitress
Rats Rally

Re: If the Stranglers did a Nirvana cover.....

Post by Waffle waitress »

As promised, l got an in depth critique from my daughter (it was hardly worth it) She replied that "lt was so clever" When pushed for more, she said, "lts cool"
So, there you have it, the voice of youth.
Quite rare round these parts, though, l dare say. :grin:
(all that's missing is the choker)

Liberez les Stranglers!
Bubba
Rats Rally

Post by Bubba »

Waffle waitress wrote: 30 Aug 2023, 18:55 As promised, l got an in depth critique from my daughter (it was hardly worth it) She replied that "lt was so clever" When pushed for more, she said, "lts cool"
So, there you have it, the voice of youth.
Quite rare round these parts, though, l dare say. :grin:
Brilliant, I'm just so happy that she gave it a fair listen!

Any requests?
Black, Burnel, Cornwell, Greenfield
alaninblack
Rats Rally

Post by alaninblack »

Bubba wrote: 30 Aug 2023, 21:50 Any requests?
Tie a Yellow Ribbon Round the Ole Oak Tree would be mine
Bubba
Rats Rally

Post by Bubba »

alaninblack wrote: 30 Aug 2023, 22:24
LOL, I get the reference. :D I remember Hugh being interviewed back in the day about how they wanted to strip things back in the early days, because all the bands had loads of guitar pedals, and that Tie a Yellow Ribbon had about 18 million chords, but was still shit. :smt005
alaninblack
Rats Rally

Post by alaninblack »

Bubba wrote: 30 Aug 2023, 23:36
alaninblack wrote: 30 Aug 2023, 22:24
LOL, I get the reference. :D I remember Hugh being interviewed back in the day about how they wanted to strip things back in the early days, because all the bands had loads of guitar pedals, and that Tie a Yellow Ribbon had about 18 million chords, but was still shit. :smt005
You would have to probably remove Daves arpeggio style and try to be Hans - not sure when they dropped that from the set ? Pre Dave ?

Is it not the Holy Grail of missing recordings of the Guilford Stranglers, must be worth the effort to recreate ?
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

Interesting, I like it though i never heard the original (I heard the hits but was not very impressed with that grunge movement, mixing hardcore with the worst elements of hard rock) (but hey, that's just me)
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

Bubba wrote: 27 Aug 2023, 23:03 Hey, everybody!

I'm a member of a home recording forum, and sometimes we do recording challenges. A couple of weeks ago, a challenge was set, to pick a track off Nirvana's "Nevermind" and cover it in a completely different style. I chose "Drain You" and tried to do it in the style of the Stranglers, pre-Raven.

How do you think I did?

https://on.soundcloud.com/r5Wd3
Not usually a fan of cover versions but this is brilliant mate.
Love how you’ve Stranglerfied the song. Inspiring stuff, makes me want to get off my arse and start creating & recording music again.
👍🏻
Shush this is serious
Bubba
Rats Rally

Post by Bubba »

alaninblack wrote: 31 Aug 2023, 04:12
You would have to probably remove Daves arpeggio style and try to be Hans - not sure when they dropped that from the set ? Pre Dave ?

Is it not the Holy Grail of missing recordings of the Guilford Stranglers, must be worth the effort to recreate ?
Ha ha, that would be something, wouldn't it? I've had a listen to Hans's playing. It ranges from regular piano-style accompaniment to sub-Roxy Music electric piano. The hard bit would be trying to recreate that softer, inchoate Stranglers sound, rather than pastiching it with all the familiar Stranglerisms, like I did on "Strangle You". Interesting.
Bubba
Rats Rally

Post by Bubba »

Arthur Streeb-Greebling wrote: 31 Aug 2023, 13:00
Not usually a fan of cover versions but this is brilliant mate.
Love how you’ve Stranglerfied the song. Inspiring stuff, makes me want to get off my arse and start creating & recording music again.
👍🏻
Thanks, Arthur. Do it!
evonx wrote: 31 Aug 2023, 11:28 Interesting, I like it though i never heard the original (I heard the hits but was not very impressed with that grunge movement, mixing hardcore with the worst elements of hard rock) (but hey, that's just me)
Yeah, the Grunge wasn't everybody's cup of tea, but me personally, I had that album on rotation with the Stranglers and Pixies on my Walkman!

Thanks for the listen!
MiB81 wrote: 30 Aug 2023, 08:59 Magic! Loved it. Everything they said 8) 8)
Thanks very much, glad you enjoyed it!
ThinkTank wrote: 30 Aug 2023, 08:47 That was very clever and inventive i really enjoyed that. I liked the middle 8 with that xcert included it made me smile. Whens the next one ?
Cheers, Think Tank! I don't know what the next one will be, although I am working on an original at the moment.
RetroRocket wrote: 29 Aug 2023, 14:24 I really enjoyed that...cheers!
Thanks, RR.

Bubba
Waffle waitress
Rats Rally

Post by Waffle waitress »

I like the TAYRRTOOT Idea, it would be interesting to hear an interpretation of a tune done by the band, but never recorded. This goes for anything else in that category. I don't think l would go down the "recreate the Hans sound" though, a bit niche, and much better, for the listener, to hear a more familiar early Stranglers sound. Which, admirably, you can do, so...
Chop Chop! :twisted: :lol:
(all that's missing is the choker)

Liberez les Stranglers!
Bubba
Rats Rally

Post by Bubba »

Waffle waitress wrote: 31 Aug 2023, 18:53 I like the TAYRRTOOT Idea, it would be interesting to hear an interpretation of a tune done by the band, but never recorded. This goes for anything else in that category. I don't think l would go down the "recreate the Hans sound" though, a bit niche, and much better, for the listener, to hear a more familiar early Stranglers sound. Which, admirably, you can do, so...
Chop Chop! :twisted: :lol:
Ha ha, I'll give it some thought.

Downloads now allowed for this track.