new Baz interview

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Re: new Baz interview

Post by toilerinblack »

It's like we always say.....each to their own where this band is concerned....lol
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

aldinblack wrote: 31 Jul 2023, 13:04 Well for me I know Baz is no angel, and that unlike Hugh, the sun doesn't shine out of his arse.
Sent from my moto g62 5G using Tapatalk
pmsl Thats absolutely brilliant I'm still chuckling over that one still, great stuff :grin:
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

toilerinblack wrote: 31 Jul 2023, 13:07
ThinkTank wrote: 31 Jul 2023, 09:36
Greatkudu wrote: 31 Jul 2023, 09:32 And works hard to keep the band going.Major Kudu.
Is that the only important thing to achieve ? To keep the band going ?
No,your right not just working hard and enthusiasm to make a band work is enough it's not alone yes but it is a big part of keeping a band together happy to get through the tour schedule of travelling and all the things that go with it that must be hard and would get you down behind away from home and loved ones,so his character and humour must all help eachother as a unit that they are all happy and close friends that's the first start of keeping the four of you together,happy in the first place so it will work on stage to give the fans their best and boy you must be able to work together for any magic as a complete unit to work for a full sets worth.
Then again like you say working hard and energy isn't enough you need talent,experience of your craft which he has for sure and as a guitarist myself I think he has and very well too in just my opinion only,if another individual opinion is they think he has or hasn't than that's every fans own right to think he's right for the band or not.
I can only say how I see it as only one fan and to me he has the energy,enthusiasm and musical talent and skills too who post Paul who is a very talented singer no doubt there has taken the band back more in the old bands style of Hugh who has brought JJ back working and sounding once again to something like how he once was standing and playing alongside Hugh which for me is right again for the band.
So Baz like or loathe him has the two frontmen working and the main point sounding again like how they used to again with the return of that loud meaty bass and Baz playing the right stlye and sound again of the tele that both Hugh and he does the Stranglers sounding guitar that John didn't use but I stand to be corrected there as i wasn't a follower of Mk11.
The band with PR and JE in it i belive was going even further away both musically and distinction to what the band was with Hugh in it definitely further away from the band of once was than the current one is now all round.
Many will totally disagree and have a completely different view of what they think it takes to be a Strangler or what is good or bad and that's fair enough we all think differently and when your talking about music that will always be the case with any band that plays and creates music for it's listerners and fans,it's only my view and perception on how well they presently sound and what it takes being a right Strangler for such an old distinctive band with history to it's name,the next person will either agree or think very differently to me lol
When ever you need to do a review on someone at work in any job and they are just very lame and very average or Below average at their work but is a nice person so you need to be encouraging as you don't want to sack them. You tend to say how hard working they are and conscientious as there plus points. In reality most businesses would prefer you to be damn lazy / not conscientious but bloody shit hot at what you do because that's what brings in the money and success.
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

Yanders wrote: 31 Jul 2023, 13:28
The only bit that jarred with me was where he decided he had to put down modern artists and say that people probably wouldn't be thinking of them in fifty years.
I was going to say, 'lets come back in 50 years and see how many people remember DM'. Then i realised i wont be any state to remember anything, let alone this silly thing.

I think a lot of what he says is to hide his insecurities. He's made a living in music, which is no easy feat, but it cant be exactly how he would've wanted it.
I think you are probably right. It can not be easy for him being in that very privileged position but what i would say its not earned but come about through circumstance and frustrated desperation. That position was very lucky and right place at the right time and any guitar player that could kind of half sing would have got that job if they were in the band at the time. I think Baz knows that which is why he hides his insecurities that way.

He would of course have rather written songs that made JJ sit back and go wow look Baz you need to sing these songs as these are brilliant and the fans need to hear these. Then hits followed in the charts and Baz is the talk of the Stranglers community.

Lets face it and to be honest if Hugh was new and in Baz position he would have written songs that would have done exactly that and blown everyone away with how brilliant they were to the band and fans and as Aldinblack suspects Hugh could then bend over and do the lighting for the stage at the same time lol. :grin: yeah that has made me laugh a lot
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

ThinkTank wrote: 31 Jul 2023, 14:48
ThinkTank wrote: 31 Jul 2023, 09:36

Is that the only important thing to achieve ? To keep the band going ?
No,your right not just working hard and enthusiasm to make a band work is enough it's not alone yes but it is a big part of keeping a band together happy to get through the tour schedule of travelling and all the things that go with it that must be hard and would get you down behind away from home and loved ones,so his character and humour must all help eachother as a unit that they are all happy and close friends that's the first start of keeping the four of you together,happy in the first place so it will work on stage to give the fans their best and boy you must be able to work together for any magic as a complete unit to work for a full sets worth.
Then again like you say working hard and energy isn't enough you need talent,experience of your craft which he has for sure and as a guitarist myself I think he has and very well too in just my opinion only,if another individual opinion is they think he has or hasn't than that's every fans own right to think he's right for the band or not.
I can only say how I see it as only one fan and to me he has the energy,enthusiasm and musical talent and skills too who post Paul who is a very talented singer no doubt there has taken the band back more in the old bands style of Hugh who has brought JJ back working and sounding once again to something like how he once was standing and playing alongside Hugh which for me is right again for the band.
So Baz like or loathe him has the two frontmen working and the main point sounding again like how they used to again with the return of that loud meaty bass and Baz playing the right stlye and sound again of the tele that both Hugh and he does the Stranglers sounding guitar that John didn't use but I stand to be corrected there as i wasn't a follower of Mk11.
The band with PR and JE in it i belive was going even further away both musically and distinction to what the band was with Hugh in it definitely further away from the band of once was than the current one is now all round.
Many will totally disagree and have a completely different view of what they think it takes to be a Strangler or what is good or bad and that's fair enough we all think differently and when your talking about music that will always be the case with any band that plays and creates music for it's listerners and fans,it's only my view and perception on how well they presently sound and what it takes being a right Strangler for such an old distinctive band with history to it's name,the next person will either agree or think very differently to me lol
When ever you need to do a review on someone at work in any job and they are just very lame and very average or Below average at their work but is a nice person so you need to be encouraging as you don't want to sack them. You tend to say how hard working they are and conscientious as there plus points. In reality most businesses would prefer you to be damn lazy / not conscientious but bloody shit hot at what you do because that's what brings in the money and success.
Yes being a nice guy in anything isn't enough your right i agreed with the working hard commnet but that was not enough alone in a music band because you need to be a good musician being the major obvious factor which i did point that fact out too in my post regarding his good guitaring skills combined with his long term experiance all being needed ,someones personality and good charactor is still a big factor I think with his friendship with JJ has brought the best out of JJ for the better i think,so it's still a factor overall helping to get the best results for any bands togetherness to get the best out of your creativity.....just the same as it would be in any everyday job with their end product,target or goal.
Being very good musicians who could play their instruments very well is what mabe this band stand out in the first place amongst all the other new wave/punks bands back in days of the '70s.
The two points that gave them success 1)they could ALL play their instruments very well 2) who wrote very good distinctive songs and if there was a third too then character and image.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 31 Jul 2023, 19:45, edited 23 times in total.
jeanjacketburnel
Rats Rally

Post by jeanjacketburnel »

I wonder what this forum would be like today if the stranglers had quit 33 years ago. Probably died due to a handful of people bickering about what was the worst of their 10 albums
STEVE
Yanders
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Yanders »

There's still beatle forums around. Probably full of people discussing whos fault it was that they didnt reform.

I'm on forums who talk about lots of long gone bands. Just when you think everything that can be said, has been said, someone says it again, and the party continues.
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

toilerinblack wrote: 31 Jul 2023, 16:28
ThinkTank wrote: 31 Jul 2023, 14:48

Yes being a nice guy in anything isn't enough your right i agreed with the working hard commnet but that was not enough alone in a music band because you need to be a good musician being the major obvious factor which i did point that fact out too in my post regarding his good guitaring skills combined with his long term experiance all being needed ,someones personality and good charactor is still a big factor I think with his friendship with JJ has brought the best out of JJ for the better i think,so it's still a factor overall helping to get the best results for any bands togetherness to get the best out of your creativity.....just the same as it would be in any everyday job with their end product,target or goal.
Being very good musicians who could play their instruments very well is what mabe this band stand out in the first place amongst all the other new wave/punks bands back in days of the '70s.
The two points that gave them success 1)they could ALL play their instruments very well 2) who wrote very good distinctive songs and if there was a third too then character and image.
I don't think i recall you saying but are you going to see Hugh next year ?
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Yanders wrote: 31 Jul 2023, 13:28 I think a lot of what he says is to hide his insecurities. He's made a living in music, which is no easy feat, but it cant be exactly how he would've wanted it.
I agree with this. When it comes down to it, his biggest success in music has come from piggybacking on a brand that was long established and a legacy that was set in stone long before he joined. He's added very little to it, too. Kept the brand going? So what!?
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

StanInBlack wrote: 03 Aug 2023, 19:05
Yanders wrote: 31 Jul 2023, 13:28 I think a lot of what he says is to hide his insecurities. He's made a living in music, which is no easy feat, but it cant be exactly how he would've wanted it.
I agree with this. When it comes down to it, his biggest success in music has come from piggybacking on a brand that was long established and a legacy that was set in stone long before he joined. He's added very little to it, too. Kept the brand going? So what!?
Oh it's the Baz Warne fan club Secretary :smt005 A little harsh,he was making a living out of music before the Stranglers,and he wrote quite a few songs on the NC album which projected the band to a situation where more people wanted to see and hear them again.Major Kudu.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 03 Aug 2023, 20:00
StanInBlack wrote: 03 Aug 2023, 19:05
Oh it's the Baz Warne fan club Secretary :smt005 A little harsh,he was making a living out of music before the Stranglers,and he wrote quite a few songs on the NC album which projected the band to a situation where more people wanted to see and hear them again.Major Kudu.
The thing is with me I get more confused by the day with the post Hugh vocalists stuff lol
Both Paul and Baz both sung the same Hugh songs so was it all ok when Paul sung them live or was it not? As it is for Baz in general..... like I say I wouldn't know.
Myself only I find it hard to listen to any vocalist doing Hugh's songs and I don't think one did it ok but the other doesn't ....for me there can only be one Hugh so I do get confused on the post Hugh vocalists.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 03 Aug 2023, 20:51, edited 5 times in total.
Yanders
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Yanders »

No one is saying he isnt making a living, just it cant have been a childhood dream to play someone else's work 70% of the time.