Your not so good gig experiences.

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Your not so good gig experiences.

Post by toilerinblack »

I often look back at an Mk1 gig that was probably my most frightening experiance.
It was at the Hammersmith Palais in '81 I'll never forget it,the band were great that night an amazing gig but at that venue it was all standing and me and my mate were right near the front gettjng squashed to heck.
I was 16 and not long left school and we were getting pushed and swayed all over the place waiting and waiting for the band to come on that seemed forever and I thought I was going to pass out I could hardly breathe and they came on really late that night too.
But that was my one quite scary gig experiance seeing the band and thank good most were all ok tbh.
I used to love the Hammersmjth Odeon because there down the road from the palais it was all seated even thought nobody was seated very long but you had space,where as the Palais back in the bay I found a nightmare being near the front standing.
I also remember missing a last tube home too at one gig,have you any experiances that didn't go to plan or was ruined or something unexpected happened either on the way ,in the gig,or on the way home ? that on reflection wasn't one of your better night outs or one best forgotten.
Palais23
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Re: Your not so good gig experinaces.

Post by Palais23 »

Hi Toiler. I was that gig at the Palais on my 15th birthday. It was so hot but fantastic.
I once went with a friend to see New Order in the late 80s for a so called secret gig just south of the Thames (Dulwich seems to ring a bell?).
The band were really good with a nice sprinkling of Joy Division numbers. It was a bit violent, I suppose it was the mix of alternative students and Tachini track suit football fans not liking each other. Anyway, I digress.

The gig finished and we had to get back to Hertfordshire. Unfortunately we missed the last train home from Baker Street. We tried kipping in a shop front but it was bloody freezing, so we started walking aimlessly. We chanced upon a large police station. So we snuck in the backdoor and no coppers were around. We found an empty room with a couple of benches. It was warm and we decided to have a kip. However at at about 4am, a Rosser appeared and, instead of offering us a chocolate digestive and a cuppa, he turfed us out on to the street again. So we ended up at Trafalgar Square getting a 2.5 hour bus back to Watford! I still listen to New Order and it brings the evening back to me every time.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

I remember going to see Cast once in a smallish venue on Charing Cross Road and it's was so loud it was deafening. It wasn't enjoyable at all! :cry:
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

I saw Cast (support the Manics in 96) - they weren't too loud or anything like that. Just shit.

Maybe we should move this to the "Other Bands" section so we can bitch about other bands ?

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

Maybe we should move this to the "Other Bands" section so we can bitch about other bands ?
While you're at it, please correct the title of this thread.... #experiences ffs :smt006
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

theraven1979 wrote: 25 Jul 2023, 08:28 I saw Cast (support the Manics in 96) - they weren't too loud or anything like that. Just shit.

Jim
Yeah I wasn't impressed either!
Grip
Down In The Sewer

Re: Your not so good gig experiences.

Post by Grip »

Going to see Siousxie & The Banshees at Glasgow Apollo in November 1982. Just as they began to play Israel for the encore, me and my cousin were pulled from the crowd by the bouncers and frog marched to the entrance and thrown out.
We hadn't done anything to justify being thrown out, it was hard to move as we were crammed into a crowd at the time.
Anyway as they were pushing out the door they were being arseholes in front of the ticket office lassies, so my cousin turned around and went to kick the door and put in the bottom pane of glass.
Being chased by 3 bouncers to Anderson Bus Station, was not a great end to the night, but being 15 and not dressed like a penguin helped :grin:
Tickety Boo!
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

I rarely come away from a gig hating it i usually always get something from every experience. Due to g/fs/wife etc i went to gigs like Erasure and have to say I had a good time i thought they were entertaining. Most bands no matter what your tastes are usually good live as a one off night out.

These though were really awful

The Stranglers live in 1990 after Hugh left at Brixton that was the first of seeing non-Hugh setup and definately the last ever for me.
The Rolling Stones at Wembly would have to look up the year cant remember

Will have to give this more thought as i am sure there is others

I saw Cast a couple of times as a part of a Manchester scene gigs and i have no bad memories of them but to this day i cant remember much about them and what they were like which maybe is an indication in its self.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

You should always support live music but with the cost of tickets these days I think you have every right to call shit out when you see it

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

ThinkTank wrote: 28 Jul 2023, 07:20 I rarely come away from a gig hating it i usually always get something from every experience. Due to g/fs/wife etc i went to gigs like Erasure and have to say I had a good time i thought they were entertaining. Most bands no matter what your tastes are usually good live as a one off night out.

The Stranglers live in 1990 after Hugh left at Brixton that was the first of seeing non-Hugh setup and definately the last ever for me.

I saw Cast a couple of times as a part of a Manchester scene gigs and i have no bad memories of them but to this day i cant remember much about them and what they were like which maybe is an indication in its self.
Looked it up and it was the Rolling Stones 1990

Another really awful gig was Band of holy Joy i cant remember the venue it was a dingy small atmospheric place but they were really bad i waited all night thinking its got to start getting better than this. Another promising band but no wonder they never made it big
Palais23
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Palais23 »

ThinkTank wrote: 29 Jul 2023, 09:32
ThinkTank wrote: 28 Jul 2023, 07:20 I rarely come away from a gig hating it i usually always get something from every experience. Due to g/fs/wife etc i went to gigs like Erasure and have to say I had a good time i thought they were entertaining. Most bands no matter what your tastes are usually good live as a one off night out.

Another really awful gig was Band of holy Joy i cant remember the venue it was a dingy small atmospheric place but they were really bad i waited all night thinking its got to start getting better than this. Another promising band but no wonder they never made it big
So, they were the ultimate oxymoron?
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

Palais23 wrote: 29 Jul 2023, 09:37
ThinkTank wrote: 29 Jul 2023, 09:32

So, they were the ultimate oxymoron?
ha ha i never thought of that very good :grin: