Dark Matters has it stood the test of time?

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Re: Dark Matters has it stood the test of time?

Post by jetblacksdad »

Played it the other day and was still into it.

Some great songs. Last Man on the Moon is a great track, probably the best on there but some far better output than on Giants.
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

Listened to Water full blast the other day, still a great song and a great opener with JJ & Dave playing a fucking blinder.
I like the album a lot but have to skip Down.
Shush this is serious
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Arthur Streeb-Greebling wrote: 05 Oct 2023, 16:00 Listened to Water full blast the other day, still a great song and a great opener with JJ & Dave playing a fucking blinder.
I like the album a lot but have to skip Down.
Sir I agree Water is great, Down makes me feel Down.Major Dundee.
Waffle waitress
Rats Rally

Post by Waffle waitress »

I will have to dig this out again, maybe 🤔
(all that's missing is the choker)

Liberez les Stranglers!
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

Water is classic Stranglers and I think Down has a certain charm. :wink:
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

jason wrote: 05 Oct 2023, 23:19 Water is classic Stranglers and I think Down has a certain charm.
I prefer "Down" to the other quiet ones on the album. I'd have rather heard that in the quiet bits of the last tour than "Lines".
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

droopsnoot wrote: 06 Oct 2023, 08:06
jason wrote: 05 Oct 2023, 23:19 Water is classic Stranglers and I think Down has a certain charm.
I prefer "Down" to the other quiet ones on the album. I'd have rather heard that in the quiet bits of the last tour than "Lines".
I don't think Down live would go down to well at a gig but that's only my opinion, but yes it is better than the lines,tbh I don't know how they made the album for me they are the worst two tracks on DM and how Sisterhood was kept off for those two I don't know but tbh i haven't heard it but those who have says it's a good track and it can't be worse than my two least liked tracks that did make it on there.
Down is a beautiful song written I take it from JJ as a guess nice song I just don't like the way it's vocally sung,it's potentially a song that could be really lifted to something really nice if it was sung by another vocalist and that's not putting him down but I do feel JJ has a limited vocal range and style,it's a bit like Reap that was one of the great JJ Mk1 songs he wrote and I think Hugh has said that was one of his best wriiten songs while he was there but it was better suited for Hugh to sing it instead and that's how I feel about Down,but saying that over the decades apart from being one of this country's best bass players he's proved again and again to be a bloody good songwriter for sure but some of the great songs he writen for me only does suit his range and deliverance and some of them just doesn't and for me only...Down doesn't but we all differ.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

toilerinblack wrote: 06 Oct 2023, 20:00
I don't think Down live would go down to well at a gig but that's only my opinion, but yes it is better than the lines,tbh I don't know how they made the album for me they are the worst two tracks on DM and how Sisterhood was kept off for those two I don't know but tbh i haven't heard it but those who have says it's a good track and it can't be worse than my two least liked tracks that did make it on there.
Down is a beautiful song written I take it from JJ as a guess nice song I just don't like the way it's vocally sung,it's potentially a song that could be really lifted to something really nice if it was sung by another vocalist and that's not putting him down but I do feel JJ has a limited vocal range and style,it's a bit like Reap that was one of the great JJ Mk1 songs he wrote and I think Hugh has said that was one of his best wriiten songs while he was there but it was better suited for Hugh to sing it instead and that's how I feel about Down,but saying that over the decades apart from being one of this country's best bass players he's proved again and again to be a bloody good songwriter for sure but some of the great songs he writen for me only does suit his range and deliverance and some of them just doesn't and for me only...Down doesn't but we all differ.
Sir I think Down suits JJ's vocals,off thread I think his voice has matured well,he's more a vocal stylist but off thread he has done some great vocals over the years.Major Kudu Styles.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 07 Oct 2023, 10:26
toilerinblack wrote: 06 Oct 2023, 20:00

Sir I think Down suits JJ's vocals,off thread I think his voice has matured well,he's more a vocal stylist but off thread he has done some great vocals over the years.Major Kudu Styles.
Yes he's matured for the better vocally more in recent times I agree I mean his vocals on Freedom is Insane works very well with his type of deliverance style and range it did i feel really suit him and a great dam song I love anyway...maybe it's me I just cringe a bit on the sung part of Down Down Down Down...again it's not being critical it just doesn't do it for me again we differ on songs and most i'm fine with and really like so it's not all bad from me well hardly ever bad when it comes to their songs lol
Last edited by toilerinblack on 08 Oct 2023, 17:43, edited 1 time in total.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

I think JJ's vocals could have been a slightly better on this album. I think it's down to it being recorded remotely.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

jason wrote: 07 Oct 2023, 21:01 I think JJ's vocals could have been a slightly better on this album. I think it's down to it being recorded remotely.
I agree Sir,as I keep on saying and I do repeat myself,it's the best we could have had at the time,I still think it's a good album not a great album,the greats of course are the Holy Grail of 9 fucking great albums, until the infamous 10 which even Hugh acknowledges that everyone hated it,and even on that album their are some Gems.Major General Kudu,I've promoted myself as no other fucker seems to want to. :smt013 :smt010
kenl
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by kenl »

Nothing really wrong with 10, just the overblown production that spoils it for ne.