New album confirmed (edit: or is it?)

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Re: New album confirmed (edit: or is it?)

Post by theraven1979 »

evonx wrote:Eagle from Abba is one of the most beautiful popsongs ever made. Fact
My parents used to play that album to death. Every time I hear that song it takes me back to the late 70s

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Yanders wrote: 09 Jul 2023, 12:32 It'd be more interesting if baz recoded with wingmen and jj made a solo record.
Yup, this is pretty much how I feel about it.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Greatkudu wrote: 15 Jul 2023, 18:46
evonx wrote: 15 Jul 2023, 18:15
Back on thread I really don't think the Stranglers as they are can write very good albums anymore,just play the Hits chaps
Yes and no, on every album, even the last three, there's always a couple of tracks I really like. Having said that, never again did they reach the level of their 1977-1983 output.
Yes all albums after Hugh have good songs,and let's be honest Hugh did some rather poor albums until he found his feet with Guilty.Major Kudu.
If you're referring to Nosferatu, Wolf and Wired, then obviously I completely disagree.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

I don't think Hugh has brought out a poor solo album,some not as good as others and one bad production sound that still had great songs to it's credits ,so I disagree there also but we all differ with music.
The stranglers post Hugh have had some poor ones but not Hugh for me only.
I agree he found his way with one of his strongest solo albums to date with Guilty where he finally truelly found his style that worked well that from then onwards has only gone from strength to strength.
Again we all differ where music is concerned.
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

StanInBlack wrote: 15 Jul 2023, 21:55
Yanders wrote: 09 Jul 2023, 12:32 It'd be more interesting if baz recoded with wingmen and jj made a solo record.
I'm gonna call it now... the next (last?) album will be a winner.
Let's Boogie
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

Ruby wrote: 15 Jul 2023, 18:26
ThinkTank wrote: 14 Jul 2023, 12:55

If JJ already knows Toby as an engineer for Daves Keyboards of 30 odd years it kinda smacks of continuing bullshit again especially with the coincidence of the youtube posts. I often think with this band unless you are there seeing it for yourself you cant really be certain of anything said from anyone in that camp
Yep,there's numerous examples of exaggerations,embellishments and contradictions.
I think JJ has always been like it he used to pass it off as windups when he was caught out before but now however today what he says is documented through YouTube, forums, interviews and internet postings etc so a bit hard to get away with it now. I think Baz is learning fast as well. :grin:
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

StanInBlack wrote: 15 Jul 2023, 21:58
Greatkudu wrote: 15 Jul 2023, 18:46
evonx wrote: 15 Jul 2023, 18:15

Yes and no, on every album, even the last three, there's always a couple of tracks I really like. Having said that, never again did they reach the level of their 1977-1983 output.
Yes all albums after Hugh have good songs,and let's be honest Hugh did some rather poor albums until he found his feet with Guilty.Major Kudu.
If you're referring to Nosferatu, Wolf and Wired, then obviously I completely disagree.
I think there are some weak tracks on Wired,and a few on Wolf ie Clubland,but Nosferatu has no weak tracks IMHO.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

markorbit wrote: 16 Jul 2023, 09:39
Sir if it is a really good album I will be open to it? But sadly if you look at what they produce now,sadly it will be very average with a few good songs,I will be happy to be proved wrong,as someone said to me the other day Sir you are usually right :smt005 Major Kudu being modest :smt005
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

It depends what you class as a winner ? If you are thinking it will be number 4 in the charts or higher in the charts than Dark Matters then i think that will be an impossible task for them to achieve. JJ knows the high position in the charts was because of the emotional attachment that Dave Greenfields death has with the album. You know? everybody loves you when you are dead?. So I doubt if the album would have gone much higher than the high 40s if that hadn't happened.
JJ will know this so he wont put himself up against such a big commercial competition so i reckon his next or final album will be a concept album. If its a hit all well and good if its not its obvious that the band isn't trying to get commercial success . I don't think JJ wants to write a final album to be a commercial flop he will want to try some kind of different approach. So ill put it out there now if it does even happen it will be a concept album

Whether its a success or not will be a very personal choice to each and everyone.

Oh nearly forgot to say in my opinion of course :wink:
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 16 Jul 2023, 12:26

Sir if it is a really good album I will be open to it? But sadly if you look at what they produce now,sadly it will be very average with a few good songs,I will be happy to be proved wrong,as someone said to me the other day Sir you are usually right :smt005 Major Kudu being modest :smt005
Well I'd say DM the overall album is certainly more than average there are one or two not so good or even average yes like you have said,but for me I could name a good half a dozen or so very good tracks and some even in the excellent category in my opinion so therefore it's not an average Stranglers album for me, I think it's been some of their best post Hugh ones alongside NC for me only and i'd call previous albums like Giants more average,but again it's only my one fans opinion and we all naturally differ and hear music differently and entitled to our own rightful opinions.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

I heard Dark Matters being described as a "cracker" both pre-release and on release day, and to be fair they did sound creatively cream-crackered on it.
Yanders
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Yanders »

It seems that the people with the most influence on DM was JJ, Baz and Louie. So unless there's a major shift in the dynamics of the band, the next album, if recorded anytime soon, is going to be DM mk2. Thats good or bad depending on your view.

To mix it up, they need to give Toby a free rein not to have the 'stranglers sound', and more importantly get different producers involved.