New album confirmed (edit: or is it?)

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Re: New album confirmed (edit: or is it?)

Post by ThinkTank »

markorbit wrote: 14 Jul 2023, 20:44
Cells&Plasma wrote: 14 Jul 2023, 18:02
markorbit wrote: 14 Jul 2023, 16:44 I think I read in an interview somewhere that the youtube video alerted someone (Louie?) and put things in motion. I'm not knocking anyone... sometimes you just know that you are the best person for a certain job.

And Toby WAS from a tribute act... can't remember who now.... ABBA or something (in addition to a short-lived Stranglers tribute in the early 90s).
He played Keyboards and sang for Mungo Jerry.
He did but unless I dreamt it, I'm thinking of someone else.
In my post I only put "tribute act" but i am sure when JJ put out a warm up announcement he actually said "a Stranglers tribute act" which is why i linked it to the obvious Toby YouTube tribute to Dave Greenfield that he did. So i am certain that's what he was referring to.
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

ThinkTank wrote: 14 Jul 2023, 20:55
Cells&Plasma wrote: 14 Jul 2023, 18:02

He played Keyboards and sang for Mungo Jerry.
In my post I only put "tribute act" but i am sure when JJ put out a warm up announcement he actually said "a Stranglers tribute act" which is why i linked it to the obvious Toby YouTube tribute to Dave Greenfield that he did. So i am certain that's what he was referring to.
Yes he was in a Stranglers tribute act in the 90s for a handful of gigs.
Let's Boogie
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

markorbit wrote: 14 Jul 2023, 21:02
ThinkTank wrote: 14 Jul 2023, 20:55

Yes he was in a Stranglers tribute act in the 90s for a handful of gigs.
Well i never it seems that he will fit in well on the album then as being in a tribute act seem to be his speciality :grin:
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

ThinkTank wrote: 14 Jul 2023, 21:16 Well i never it seems that he will fit in well on the album then as being a tribute acts seem to be his speciality :grin:
Benny Andersson and The Stranglers sounds good to me! But then I have always unashamedly loved ABBA. Modern-day Mozart and all that.
Let's Boogie
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

markorbit wrote: 14 Jul 2023, 21:25
ThinkTank wrote: 14 Jul 2023, 21:16 Well i never it seems that he will fit in well on the album then as being a tribute acts seem to be his speciality :grin:
Benny Andersson and The Stranglers sounds good to me! But then I have always unashamedly loved ABBA. Modern-day Mozart and all that.
Yeah definitely at the end of the day a good song is a good song and Abba have written enough of those. I am a bit partial to classical as well.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

ThinkTank wrote: 14 Jul 2023, 21:39
Yeah definitely at the end of the day a good song is a good song and Abba have written enough of those. I am a bit partial to classical as well.
Absolutely can't beat bit of ABBA,people always refer to the partnership of the beatles but those two from ABBA have an incredible record what with the band and all the stage and theatre Llloyd webber productions songs they done too,you only have to take your hat off to the pair of them who know just how to write a bloody great song...again and again.
Toby was great in his ABBA tribute act with his playing,singing and full on energy.
Toby is now a major key player if you pardon the pun lol to them moving forwards now and if any of Dave's old equipment can be revamped and reused again for either the album or gigs or both then that would be just an amazing tribute to the genius that will always be remembered,admired and sorely missed again with more of his equipment seeing the light of day again apart from what Toby is already using of Dave's then even more of his music will continue on to be heard by his devoted fans.
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

toilerinblack wrote: 14 Jul 2023, 23:18
ThinkTank wrote: 14 Jul 2023, 21:39

Absolutely can't beat bit of ABBA,people always refer to the partnership of the beatles but those two from ABBA have an incredible record what with the band and all the stage and theatre Llloyd webber productions songs they done too,you only have to take your hat off to the pair of them who know just how to write a bloody great song...again and again.
Toby was great in his ABBA tribute act with his playing,singing and full on energy.
Toby is now a major key player if you pardon the pun lol to them moving forwards now and if any of Dave's old equipment can be revamped and reused again for either the album or gigs or both then that would be just an amazing tribute to the genius that will always be remembered,admired and sorely missed again with more of his equipment seeing the light of day again apart from what Toby is already using of Dave's then even more of his music will continue on to be heard by his devoted fans.
This forum has a lot to answer for i have Abba on now lol but its all a good listen and very enjoyable.

I was just going to do an opinion of what i think the band should do and realised i really don't care what they do for new material and removed it as its not going to be very good at all and i will stick to Hugh Cornwell as he never disappoints me.

But from what you are saying Toiler it does all sound very encouraging and hopeful.
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

Eagle from Abba is one of the most beautiful popsongs ever made. Fact
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

evonx wrote: 15 Jul 2023, 16:36 Eagle from Abba is one of the most beautiful popsongs ever made. Fact
A good song,but there are better songs IMHO,a very underated Abba song, maybe we need an Abba thread? Or maybe not.Back on thread I really don't think the Stranglers as they are can write very good albums anymore,just play the Hits chaps.Major Kudu.
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

Back on thread I really don't think the Stranglers as they are can write very good albums anymore,just play the Hits chaps
Yes and no, on every album, even the last three, there's always a couple of tracks I really like. Having said that, never again did they reach the level of their 1977-1983 output.
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

ThinkTank wrote: 14 Jul 2023, 12:55

If JJ already knows Toby as an engineer for Daves Keyboards of 30 odd years it kinda smacks of continuing bullshit again especially with the coincidence of the youtube posts. I often think with this band unless you are there seeing it for yourself you cant really be certain of anything said from anyone in that camp
Yep,there's numerous examples of exaggerations,embellishments and contradictions.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

evonx wrote: 15 Jul 2023, 18:15
Back on thread I really don't think the Stranglers as they are can write very good albums anymore,just play the Hits chaps
Yes and no, on every album, even the last three, there's always a couple of tracks I really like. Having said that, never again did they reach the level of their 1977-1983 output.
Yes all albums after Hugh have good songs,and let's be honest Hugh did some rather poor albums until he found his feet with Guilty.Major Kudu.