12 years too late for the Forum members' covers album - Baroque Bordello and The Raven

4 More Heroes, No More Heroes, The Meninblack etc etc in ere

Moderator: StanInBlack

KevinH
SHAKESPEARO

Re: 12 years too late for the Forum members' covers album - Baroque Bordello

Post by KevinH »

Fantastic!
jonimac
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by jonimac »

Superb. Very authentic to the original.
Take a bow!
From Glasgow, the centre of Stranglermania (copyright Strangled 1982)
Bubba
Rats Rally

Post by Bubba »

gjinblack wrote: 31 May 2023, 17:46 Wow! Fantastic.
Ta very much. :)
KevinH wrote: 02 Jun 2023, 00:28Fantastic!
Cheers, Kevin :smt003

jonimac wrote: 04 Jun 2023, 10:08 Superb. Very authentic to the original.
Take a bow!
Thanks, jonimac. It could be said that doing something too close to the original is a bit of a pointless exercise, but it's just something I wanted to do.
Black, Burnel, Cornwell, Greenfield
jonimac
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by jonimac »

Not at all. It’s a real challenge to get it to sound like the original.
I think in many areas you achieved that!
From Glasgow, the centre of Stranglermania (copyright Strangled 1982)
Waffle waitress
Rats Rally

Post by Waffle waitress »

Smashing version, the instrumentation could have been a Raven mix. Spot on!
Great song from when their lyrics were so cool.
(all that's missing is the choker)

Liberez les Stranglers!
Bubba
Rats Rally

Post by Bubba »

Waffle waitress wrote: 05 Jun 2023, 16:47 Smashing version, the instrumentation could have been a Raven mix. Spot on!
Great song from when their lyrics were so cool.
Ha! I knew I'd ruined it with vocals. :smt044

But thanks for the compliments. :smt003
Bubba
Rats Rally

Post by Bubba »

Just a little bump for this, and to report that "The Raven" is well on the way. Drums, bass and guitars all complete, and about 25% of the keyboards. And I'm already up to about 5 tracks on those! :shock:
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

Bubba wrote: 13 Jun 2023, 22:24 Just a little bump for this, and to report that "The Raven" is well on the way. Drums, bass and guitars all complete, and about 25% of the keyboards. And I'm already up to about 5 tracks on those! :shock:
Great stuff!
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

Bubba wrote: 13 Jun 2023, 22:24 Just a little bump for this, and to report that "The Raven" is well on the way. Drums, bass and guitars all complete, and about 25% of the keyboards. And I'm already up to about 5 tracks on those! :shock:
That would be really good to hear. I didn't think your vocals was as bad as you think and there is no one that can sing like Hugh so its a task that would be very hard to replicate and anyway there is no better position than to have your own original vocals. I did think it would be really good if you was to have an attempt at the Raven when you first posted so i will wait in anticipation to hear this

Great stuff
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

ThinkTank wrote: 14 Jun 2023, 08:58
That would be really good to hear. I didn't think your vocals was as bad as you think and there is no one that can sing like Hugh so its a task that would be very hard to replicate and anyway there is no better position than to have your own original vocals. I did think it would be really good if you was to have an attempt at the Raven when you first posted so i will wait in anticipation to hear this

Great stuff
Yeah I second that too....I'm all for hearing anybody having a go at their interpretation or improvised way at this bands material,I'm a musician myself and love hearing others work.
It's not about getting it exactly to sound like how it is on the tin so to speak of the musicians work your covering because that ain't gonna happen to everybody's satisfaction and many don't realise just how hard it is no matter how good you are,so I say do it your own way because you love the music your covering so much you want to have a go at it yourself...so that's great and different can often be better.
I love the Moons version of The Raven and vocally he's very different to JJs but this band have covered musically the song their own way of doing it and boy it's bloody good...
Different but bloody good have a listen it's on youtube.
So yes do the Raven your way and enjoy doing it however you want to interpret it to be like just because you love it and want to.
In my band decades ago we did all my own material with a few covers thrown in and they were extremely hard to get it right it was good covers but vocally bloody hard.
I always wanted to stay away from covers because it's hard I found to keep everybody happy with your version but I enjoyed doing it and that's the main thing with music I think once you don't enjoy your music it's time to stop is my conclusion of my time and experiences in bands many years ago but it's different for every individual, so i say enjoy whatever you want to play it's there to be enjoyed and that is the main point to it all i think and with me only i liked my own material to get heard than doing other people's at that point in time for me only many decades ago,music is different for every individual and that's how it should be I think a personal likeness everytime....there's no rules in music making.
Any music is great to play and whoever is playing it should just enjoy themselves for what it is their playing and as long as you yourself like it then that's all that matters i think at the end of the day.
So good luck to anyone who ants to have a go....and enjoy it.
gjinblack
Ugly
Ugly

Post by gjinblack »

jason wrote:
Great stuff!
Bring it on.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

euromanc-ometh
Bubba
Rats Rally

Post by Bubba »

gjinblack wrote: 15 Jun 2023, 23:11
jason wrote:
Great stuff!
Bring it on.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk
I posted it in the Stranglers MK 1 forum :grin: