50th Anniversary Setlist?

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Re: 50th Anniversary Setlist?

Post by theraven1979 »

Blimey are we all in agreement here? :smt008

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
airflamesred
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by airflamesred »

theraven1979 wrote: 14 Mar 2024, 17:10 Blimey are we all in agreement here? :smt008

Jim
Don't tempt fate Jim, Stan's on his way.
BankMan
Down In The Sewer

Post by BankMan »

StanInBlack wrote: 14 Mar 2024, 15:05
Yanders wrote: 14 Mar 2024, 10:06 Stan just hits a nerve.

We could critise the band in other ways, like how bad 10 is or how brass section was a mistake, without anyone claiming its insulting the stranglers or a sign of not being a real fan.

The curent tour or album is always sacred. Like they are the lady di of the stranglers history.
It's like people have conveniently forgotten about the amount of relentless shit Paul Roberts got flung his way over the years on here and elsewhere. John Ellis to a lesser degree. People slagging off Hugh is perhaps the most bizarre of all, though. If not for Hugh, none of us would be posting here.
Depends what you’re “slagging” Hugh off for
No one is above having a negative opinion thrown at them for something if someone feels strongly about it
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

At the end of the day it's JJ and the rest of the band having the last laugh,as the money is flowing in for this tour.Major Kudu.
kenl
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by kenl »

StanInBlack wrote: 14 Mar 2024, 13:59
kenl wrote: 14 Mar 2024, 07:24
StanInBlack wrote: 14 Mar 2024, 00:49 I'd be well up for JJ doing something weird and arty as a solo project, maybe another concept piece like Euroman Cometh or The Gospel According to the Meninblack (even though The Gospel was Hugh's concept, it says so on the sleeve)
You don't know much about the Stranglers do you?

The concept was only about the sleeve for the album!
It's Hugh's meditation on the possible links between religious events and alien visitations, inspired by bible stories and conspiracy theories. Hugh blended all of these ideas together and created the concept. The sleeve is a reflection of this concept.
That's guff, but why change the habit of a lifetime.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Hugh came up with the MIB concept,but Jet was huge inspiration for the MIB album with his interest in UFOs which the rest of the band became interested in,Hugh and Jet even travelled to Somerset to try and conjure up a UFO by thinking about them,I'm sure they must have been taken rather Strong Coffee back then.Major Kudu.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Hugh came up with the MIB concept,but Jet was huge inspiration for the MIB album with his interest in UFOs which the rest of the band became interested in,Hugh and Jet even travelled to Somerset to try and conjure up a UFO by thinking about them,I'm sure they must have been taken rather Strong Coffee back then.Major Kudu.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

I think Hugh came up with it. He was reading the Bible when he was in Pentonville and that sparked the connection. I imagine Jet would've assisted and encouraged it mind with his UFO interest

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

theraven1979 wrote: 14 Mar 2024, 18:50 I think Hugh came up with it. He was reading the Bible when he was in Pentonville and that sparked the connection. I imagine Jet would've assisted and encouraged it mind with his UFO interest

Jim

Yes he would but it's possibly the Stranglers greatest album creatively speaking with the way it was recorded.Major Kudu.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 14 Mar 2024, 18:54
theraven1979 wrote: 14 Mar 2024, 18:50 I think Hugh came up with it. He was reading the Bible when he was in Pentonville and that sparked the connection. I imagine Jet would've assisted and encouraged it mind with his UFO interest

Jim

Yes he would but it's possibly the Stranglers greatest album creatively speaking with the way it was recorded.Major Kudu.
Best creative and experimental album possibly yes for me but not their best album for song quality... there would be several infront on quality versus creativity for me The Raven springs straight to the front along with Dreamtime and la Folie and obviously Rattue is on it's own too.
But yes I get what your saying with creativity and I would have to agree with the experimental masterpiece it is like no other album of their's before or after.
The time they released the gospel it was so far in front of it's time....by years if not decades.
To start the gig the way they did and with what they did I was so happy and thought their choice was perfect.
Best Creative album by far from me too.
Palais23
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Palais23 »

toilerinblack wrote: 14 Mar 2024, 20:08
Greatkudu wrote: 14 Mar 2024, 18:54

Jim

Best creative and experimental album possibly yes for me but not their best album for song quality... there would be several infront on quality versus creativity for me The Raven springs straight to the front along with Dreamtime and la Folie and obviously Rattue is on it's own too.
But yes I get what your saying with creativity and I would have to agree with the experimental masterpiece it is like no other album of their's before or after.
The time they released the gospel it was so far in front of it's time....by years if not decades.
To start the gig the way they did and with what they did I was so happy and thought their choice was perfect.
Best Creative album by far from me too.
Baffling at the time of release and, my memory is a bit hazy, an article or 2 in Strangled explaining the theory? I thought, what's happened to my favourite band. Mind you, paranoia was rife at the time.
Homer
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Homer »

StanInBlack wrote: 14 Mar 2024, 00:49 so it'd be great if he could work with a guitarist that's willing to experiment and not fall back on blues cliches.
Jon Ellis is the type of guitarist for that, but tat would never happen lol, but I've recently been listening to an album called 'Sons of Shiva' and the guitarist from that album would be perfect for that. He was given the poems and created the guitar to suit. ;-)