50th Anniversary Setlist?

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Re: 50th Anniversary Setlist?

Post by ThinkTank »

kenl wrote: 14 Mar 2024, 07:20
ozymandias wrote: 13 Mar 2024, 23:56
StanInBlack wrote: 13 Mar 2024, 18:20 I understand the definition of "trolling" perfectly well. Hint: it's not supposed to mean someone expressing an opinion that's counter to yours.
I like how you disingenuously quote-mined that little bit. I'll repeat the rest for context:
ozymandias wrote: That’s a mischaracterisation. I’d didn’t say I’d ban him [for trolling] because I disagree with him – that would be ridiculous. I’d ban him from *this board* for trolling *this board*, which he clearly is.
ozymandias wrote: 13 Mar 2024, 16:09This idea that it’s somehow “JJ and Friends” is just blatant nonsense.
StanInBlack wrote: Is it?
Yes, yes it is.
ozymandias wrote: 13 Mar 2024, 16:09You’re drawing a false equivalence between The Stranglers and The Jam; they’re very different bands.
StanInBlack wrote: Different bands, same situation. One original member (in both cases, a bassist who occasionally wrote and sang) and several other members that are simply there to make up the numbers. From the Jam had the sense to not call it The Jam. JJ Burnel & Friends insist on calling what they do The Stranglers. To my mind, and many others, it isn't. What it is, is a competent band playing Stranglers music, but to call that The Stranglers is a huge stretch.
I'm sorry, but I think you just inadvertently compared JJ's contribution to The Stranglers with Bruce Foxton's to The Jam (I can think of four songs he sings, two of which he wrote, and one of which is London Traffic. Which is terrible, although not as execrable as Slow Boat to Trowbridge. (See, we can all shoehorn in digs at our favourite anti-hero.) I think the fact that you label JJ as "a bassist who occasionally wrote and sang" is revealing.

Anyway, enough. Objectively, you troll this board. Fuck knows why you do it, but you bring a nasty toxicity which I (and others) can do without - there's enough shit in the world without having to wade through your incontinent slurry when all I want is a five minute break from the bleakness of life to check up on the band.

Jim is unwilling or unable to curb this - it's his site and he can do what he wants. It's a shame - The Stranglers deserve better than this.
👏👏👏
Quote mining lol i love that phrase nice one.

To be fair everyone does quote mining here it was one of the biggest things that struck me when i first came here was people cherry picking and pulling out half statements out of context and not showing the full intent of the original quote to back up their reply. It really shocked me at the time but i am used to it now

But i have to say i don't think Stan is trolling but he has a very good knack at pin pointing the problem and pointing out what is wrong with the current line up. I see what Stan says as very factful it really is down to the person to accept what the band is now or not. If you genuinely see what the band are doing as fine then you shouldn't really care what anyone else thinks although i have to say i think Stan is 100% right.
I only see Stan comment if someone suggests that the band are something that they are not which i have to admit i do enjoy hearing Stans clever observations and stan does get right to the point and i think you will find there is quite possibly a silent majority that probably agrees with stan.

If people were to be banned for just having an opinion that differed to others it would be a very one-sided view website that would after a time get very boring for everyone. And who is to say what is right and what is wrong, everyone has the chance here to post their comments and put what they think is right forward which is what makes this site so good.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Yep - I think his point still stands though. I'd settle for a JJ Euro pop album. The follow up to Un Jour Parfait. Something to accompany those Spring/Summer Euro trips :grin:

Jim
kenl wrote: 14 Mar 2024, 07:24
StanInBlack wrote: 14 Mar 2024, 00:49 I'd be well up for JJ doing something weird and arty as a solo project, maybe another concept piece like Euroman Cometh or The Gospel According to the Meninblack (even though The Gospel was Hugh's concept, it says so on the sleeve)
You don't know much about the Stranglers do you?

The concept was only about the sleeve for the album!
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Yanders
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Yanders »

Stan just hits a nerve.

We could critise the band in other ways, like how bad 10 is or how brass section was a mistake, without anyone claiming its insulting the stranglers or a sign of not being a real fan.

The curent tour or album is always sacred. Like they are the lady di of the stranglers history.
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jetblacksdad »

Yeah. Baz doesn't write any songs does he? FFS
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jetblacksdad »

Yanders wrote: 14 Mar 2024, 10:06 Stan just hits a nerve.

We could critise the band in other ways, like how bad 10 is or how brass section was a mistake, without anyone claiming its insulting the stranglers or a sign of not being a real fan.

The curent tour or album is always sacred. Like they are the lady di of the stranglers history.
This new line up isn't sacred, I think people were behind DM and out of respect are enjoying 50 years.

IF they make any more music, it might be crap. Who knows? GDG and Giants were crap and GDG was very much what people would respect as a Stranglers line up.

For now, it's a bit of fun but I do resent the constant denial of Baz's input. Jim also deserves credit and Toby is doing a great job in respecting Dave.
Of course its not the same, not at all, but it's hardly what some make it out to be.
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+
marky
Ugly
Ugly

Post by marky »

Nothing is sacred this line up is playing well some old stuff and some new for my money I wish that they didn’t play certain songs bit you can’t please everybody RIP Dave and Jet and Hugh is never coming back we can only accept the band as they are now go see them or don’t buy their music or don’t as long as the money is coming in the band will plough on for a while anybody else on here think that JJ looks a bit frail? I look forward to seeing them in Portsmouth I will think about Dave and Jet.
Yanders

Post by Yanders »

I must be imagining posters wanting stan off the board because he's critical of this line up, DM and this tour.

Crack on stan, eveyone welcomes your opinion.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

kenl wrote: 14 Mar 2024, 07:24
StanInBlack wrote: 14 Mar 2024, 00:49 I'd be well up for JJ doing something weird and arty as a solo project, maybe another concept piece like Euroman Cometh or The Gospel According to the Meninblack (even though The Gospel was Hugh's concept, it says so on the sleeve)
You don't know much about the Stranglers do you?

The concept was only about the sleeve for the album!
It's Hugh's meditation on the possible links between religious events and alien visitations, inspired by bible stories and conspiracy theories. Hugh blended all of these ideas together and created the concept. The sleeve is a reflection of this concept.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Yanders wrote: 14 Mar 2024, 10:06 Stan just hits a nerve.

It's like people have conveniently forgotten about the amount of relentless shit Paul Roberts got flung his way over the years on here and elsewhere. John Ellis to a lesser degree. People slagging off Hugh is perhaps the most bizarre of all, though. If not for Hugh, none of us would be posting here.
airflamesred

Post by airflamesred »

StanInBlack wrote: 14 Mar 2024, 15:05 People slagging off Hugh is perhaps the most bizarre of all, though. If not for Hugh, none of us would be posting here.
Or Jet's logistics, or Dave's vital musical output.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

airflamesred wrote: 14 Mar 2024, 15:15
StanInBlack wrote: 14 Mar 2024, 15:05 People slagging off Hugh is perhaps the most bizarre of all, though. If not for Hugh, none of us would be posting here.
Nobody ever slagged off Jet's logistics. Nobody ever slagged off Dave's keyboard playing either. Until towards the end when he was obviously starting to struggle, perhaps.
gizzard
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by gizzard »

StanInBlack wrote: 14 Mar 2024, 15:33
airflamesred wrote: 14 Mar 2024, 15:15
Nobody ever slagged off Jet's logistics. Nobody ever slaggsd off Dave's keyboard playing either. Until towards the end when he was obviously starting to struggle, perhaps.
If not for Jet actually as he started the band. 8)
''I THINK THE STRANGLERS ARE CRIMINALLY VULGAR, VIOLENT AND VORACIOUS, AND I OFTEN WONDER HOW THEY GET AWAY WITH IT.''