So!..who is going where on the 2024 mini tour?

Leave messages for other fans here

Moderator: StanInBlack

ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Re: So!..who is going where on the 2024 mini tour?

Post by ThinkTank »

aldinblack wrote: 16 May 2023, 13:20
StanInBlack wrote:The alternative would be to just play as JJ & Friends and forget about all the ceremonial nonsense, and advertise it as such.

theraven1979 wrote: 16 May 2023, 12:20 What's the alternative then? "34 years of JJ and Friends"? Kinda kills the ceremony and moment though right?

Jim

Come on give it a rest FFS !
JJ & freinds my arse !

50 years since The Stranglers were established. There has never been another band like it and there never will be.

Dave & Jet are smiling down, so..

Let's Celebrate !
(should be in the set, although I don't actually like the song very much..)

I hope Hugh can find a way to feature in this monumental event..

Sent from my moto g62 5G using Tapatalk
Hugh wont have anything to do with that , he never says anything and wishes them well but i am sure he can also see how ridiculous its all become. I think Hugh will be sitting pleasantly happy that they are doing a tour as it means he will be getting more cheques in the post and sees the funny side that hes quite possibly receives more money than each of the 3 other members for those tours. The 3 other members are just relieved and grateful that they get to play in a successful band even if its not their own music because i doubt they could amount to anything on their own merits. The only lucrative winner in that band is JJ and he knows it.

The alternative is to be honest to themselves and present themselves in the correct way but they know if they did that those tours would not sell out.
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

No Leeds gig? ffs, oh well may do Manchester. Prefer a Convention tbh with Hugh as support.

2 sets? I hope to fuck the first set is not some kinda unplugged Jazz with Baz on bongos type scenario.
Last edited by Arthur Streeb-Greebling on 16 May 2023, 15:21, edited 2 times in total.
Shush this is serious
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

aldinblack wrote: 16 May 2023, 13:20 JJ & freinds my arse !
I mean, that IS what it is. JJ Burnel, who was involved in establishing the reputation of the The Stranglers, and three others that weren't.
aldinblack wrote: 16 May 2023, 13:20 There has never been another band like it and there never will be.
Yes. Nothing has thrown this into sharper relief than this Burnel/Hounsham/Macaulay/Warne excursion.
aldinblack wrote: 16 May 2023, 13:20 I hope Hugh can find a way to feature in this monumental event..
Why not? He seemed awfully interested in all of the other anniversaries... :roll:
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

ThinkTank wrote:
aldinblack wrote: 16 May 2023, 13:20
StanInBlack wrote:The alternative would be to just play as JJ & Friends and forget about all the ceremonial nonsense, and advertise it as such.

Come on give it a rest FFS !
JJ & freinds my arse !

50 years since The Stranglers were established. There has never been another band like it and there never will be.

Let's Celebrate !

Hugh wont have anything to do with that , he never says anything and wishes them well but i am sure he can also see how ridiculous its all become. I think Hugh will be sitting pleasantly happy that they are doing a tour as it means he will be getting more cheques in the post and sees the funny side that hes quite possibly receives more money than each of the 3 other members for those tours. The 3 other members are just relieved and grateful that they get to play in a successful band even if its not their own music because i doubt they could amount to anything on their own merits. The only lucrative winner in that band is JJ and he knows it.

The alternative is to be honest to themselves and present themselves in the correct way but they know if they did that those tours would not sell out.
Hugh won't have anything to do with it I'm sure you're right about that.

But I don't believe Hugh is that shallow person who's sitting there rubbing his hands together thinking yeah great more money for me !

The real reason is that he and JJ just don't have that relationship. It's been so long and so much has happened and how awkward would it be now anyway?
And as for the others, well they are some of the things that have happened, but they deserve due credit.

I don't believe Hugh has ever fully accepted a "Stranglers" without him, and I think that's fair enough, actually in that situation I would probably feel the same as Hugh did, at least for a while..

although in recent years he has softened his stance somewhat, which gives hope that they can at least reconcile in some way.

I Hate You !
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

I think Hugh rather likes the payday that he gets every time JJ and the other three play them on tour, why wouldn't he? I wouldn't be surprised, however, if he felt like any credibility or integrity that he had worked hard at for years to earn when building the reputation of The Stranglers was being pissed down the drain by whatever passes for the remains of the brand in 2023, although I suppose it hasn't affected Hugh's credibility or artistic integrity at all.
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

StanInBlack wrote: 16 May 2023, 18:59 I think Hugh rather likes the payday that he gets every time JJ and the other three play them on tour, why wouldn't he?
How much does he get ? Is it thousands or hundreds ?Just curious.You seem to know.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Ruby wrote:
StanInBlack wrote: 16 May 2023, 18:59 I think Hugh rather likes the payday that he gets every time JJ and the other three play them on tour, why wouldn't he?
How much does he get ? Is it thousands or hundreds ?Just curious.You seem to know.
You don't have to be a rocket scientist to know Hugh benefits from "the stranglers" rolling out his era songs

Also both JJ and Hugh have mentioned it in interviews as well

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Frederik
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Frederik »

aldinblack wrote: 16 May 2023, 13:20 I hope Hugh can find a way to feature in this monumental event..
He's coming round with ice creams in the interval.
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

aldinblack wrote: 16 May 2023, 18:15
ThinkTank wrote:
aldinblack wrote: 16 May 2023, 13:20 Come on give it a rest FFS !
JJ & freinds my arse !

Let's Celebrate !

Hugh won't have anything to do with it I'm sure you're right about that.

But I don't believe Hugh is that shallow person who's sitting there rubbing his hands together thinking yeah great more money for me !

The real reason is that he and JJ just don't have that relationship. It's been so long and so much has happened and how awkward would it be now anyway?
And as for the others, well they are some of the things that have happened, but they deserve due credit.

I don't believe Hugh has ever fully accepted a "Stranglers" without him, and I think that's fair enough, actually in that situation I would probably feel the same as Hugh did, at least for a while..

although in recent years he has softened his stance somewhat, which gives hope that they can at least reconcile in some way.

There is nothing shallow about receiving payment for his genius work and something he has worked very hard for and that's how the industry works and rightly so. i can tell you now Hugh deserves every penny. The word shallow could be used more appropriately for other members of that night in my opinion.
I think Hugh has a great sense of humour he will definitely smile at the prospect of more payments coming his way and nothing wrong with that at all hes proved his worth ten fold. So much so he will have no need to rub his hands together he will be too busy planning hes 2024 tour where his audience will respect his song writing abilities and where he will be appreciated for all the right reasons and no need to hide behind a brand name.
Last edited by ThinkTank on 16 May 2023, 20:59, edited 1 time in total.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Frederik wrote:
He's coming round with ice creams in the interval.
He'd probably be more up for that than being onstage tbh

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Josh
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Josh »

Very much looking forward to this. Not sure what Hugh has to do with it, he's not been part of the band for 33 years...
Never say goodbye,
For we'll all be with you someday,
Fond adieus but never say goodbye
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

Probably Glasgow
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came