Spear of Destiny Winchester 03/05/23

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Spear of Destiny Winchester 03/05/23

Post by Greatkudu »

Friend couldn't go as something came up so I had to drive myself,I hate driving especially at night,but faultless journey apart from slight mistake coming back.

On to gig,Spear came on at 21.06 and started with Rainmaker from the one eyed jacks album,other classics followed including Grapes of Wrath,World Service etc but also some songs not played for a while,I last saw Spear in 2018,so was wondering how Kirk's voice would be? It's dropped an octave over the years as Kirk told me a few years ago,but the pipes are still in great shape and Kirk has one of the most distinctive voices in music IMHO and I was blown away by how good his voice still is,just fucking amazing,a tiny venue packed full of Giants,I'm around 6 2 tall but was dwarfed by tall bastards over 6 3 :smt005,but back to the music,if you haven't seen Spear before,I suggest you check them out,songs of passion, great melody and tighter than a Scotsmans Sporrin :smt005 They also played a few songs from the last album Ghost Population which I have to be honest is a slow burner,but will give it more time,by 22.30 it was all over but for £20.00 no one felt short changed,a brilliant backing Band to as always,I was quite happy with the length of gig as it was so hot and cramped next to the Giants and as usual some bastard did a silent but deadly Fart :smt013 great :smt005 but to sum up,Spear IMHO are one of the great bands,so many great albums and I have never seen a bad gig,sound balance perfect to,Kirk's voice crystal clear,at the end Kirk came out to the bar and spoke to fans at length,I had a brief chat,as always a perfect Gent and genuine bloke,got home late and had 3 hours sleep, before continuing prep for OP Java Pt 2,I really urge you to see Spear if you can.Major Kudu over and out Jambo. :smt005
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Re: Spear of Destiny Winchester 03/05/23

Post by toilerinblack »

Yeah I'm familiar with this band over the years with their three guitarists,sax player and a chelloist too if I remember correctly from I'm guessing early eighties or around that time so they've been going now a long time and fair play to them for still going even though I wouldn't have a clue in any band members changes or line up or any originals left but I do remember a lot of their stuff through the eighties.
I remember Do You Believe In The West World with it's great drumming and Never Take Me Alive and a few others,yeah good band sound their material isn't really my cup of tea or would pay to see them but saying that some of their songs are good radio airplay to listen to for me for sure and I'm glad you enjoyed seeing them live and they are a proper guitar orientated and brass sounding band and seem a good live act too if you like their sort of material ...and I'm always all for proper musicians giving a good night out and fans enjoying their favourite bands...glad you enjoyed them.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

toilerinblack wrote: 04 May 2023, 18:24 Yeah I'm familiar with this band over the years with their three guitarists,sax player and a chelloist too if I remember correctly from I'm guessing early eighties or around that time so they've been going now a long time and fair play to them for still going even though I wouldn't have a clue in any band members changes or line up or any originals left but I do remember a lot of their stuff through the eighties.
I remember Do You Believe In The West World with it's great drumming and Never Take Me Alive and a few others,yeah good band sound their material isn't really my cup of tea or would pay to see them but saying that some of their songs are good radio airplay to listen to for me for sure and I'm glad you enjoyed seeing them live and they are a proper guitar orientated and brass sounding band and seem a good live act too if you like their sort of material ...and I'm always all for proper musicians giving a good night out and fans enjoying their favourite bands...glad you enjoyed them.
Sir,Do you believe in the Westworld was Kirk's second band Theatre of Hate,Kirk is the only original member of Spear And rights all the songs,they are my second favourite band and Kirk reformed Theatre of Hate a few years ago,I think TOHs first album Westworld is one of the greatest ever albums,Kirk appreciates the fans and always claps the audience at the end of gigs,a nice touch,I just love Kirk's voice and the set was so inventive,not the obvious.They produce albums regularly,a great catalogue of work.Major Kudu.
Halifax Linda
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Halifax Linda »

Good to hear you enjoyed
I’m seeing Spear next Thursday in Huddersfield
gizzard
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by gizzard »

Greatkudu wrote: 04 May 2023, 16:04 Friend couldn't go as something came up so I had to drive myself,I hate driving especially at night,but faultless journey apart from slight mistake coming back.

On to gig,Spear came on at 21.06 and started with Rainmaker from the one eyed jacks album,other classics followed including Grapes of Wrath,World Service etc but also some songs not played for a while,I last saw Spear in 2018,so was wondering how Kirk's voice would be? It's dropped an octave over the years as Kirk told me a few years ago,but the pipes are still in great shape and Kirk has one of the most distinctive voices in music IMHO and I was blown away by how good his voice still is,just fucking amazing,a tiny venue packed full of Giants,I'm around 6 2 tall but was dwarfed by tall bastards over 6 3 :smt005,but back to the music,if you haven't seen Spear before,I suggest you check them out,songs of passion, great melody and tighter than a Scotsmans Sporrin :smt005 They also played a few songs from the last album Ghost Population which I have to be honest is a slow burner,but will give it more time,by 22.30 it was all over but for £20.00 no one felt short changed,a brilliant backing Band to as always,I was quite happy with the length of gig as it was so hot and cramped next to the Giants and as usual some bastard did a silent but deadly Fart :smt013 great :smt005 but to sum up,Spear IMHO are one of the great bands,so many great albums and I have never seen a bad gig,sound balance perfect to,Kirk's voice crystal clear,at the end Kirk came out to the bar and spoke to fans at length,I had a brief chat,as always a perfect Gent and genuine bloke,got home late and had 3 hours sleep, before continuing prep for OP Java Pt 2,I really urge you to see Spear if you can.Major Kudu over and out Jambo. :smt005

Nice one fella, I'm seeing them twice later this month, one with Big Country in Frome and their own gig at Rough Trade Bristol, I was there last night for the Damned Q&A/Signing and that was pretty packed and very warm, can't see how they will fit a six piece band on that tiny stage though....
''I THINK THE STRANGLERS ARE CRIMINALLY VULGAR, VIOLENT AND VORACIOUS, AND I OFTEN WONDER HOW THEY GET AWAY WITH IT.''
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

gizzard wrote: 05 May 2023, 12:35
Greatkudu wrote: 04 May 2023, 16:04 Friend couldn't go as something came up so I had to drive myself,I hate driving especially at night,but faultless journey apart from slight mistake coming back.

Nice one fella, I'm seeing them twice later this month, one with Big Country in Frome and their own gig at Rough Trade Bristol, I was there last night for the Damned Q&A/Signing and that was pretty packed and very warm, can't see how they will fit a six piece band on that tiny stage though....
Hi Sir that's great,sadly im away for both those dates, Cheese and Grain Frome so easy to get to from Salisbury,but I will be away on Op Java Pt 2, hopefully this time,I won't need a wheelchair to take me off the Plane.Major Kudu. :smt010
Halifax Linda
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Halifax Linda »

Safe travels Kudu.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Halifax Linda wrote: 05 May 2023, 19:37 Safe travels Kudu.
Thanks not going Just yet,15 th May but East Africa needs planning with Op Java Pt 2, have to keep an eye out for El Shabab.Major Kudu. :oops:
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Spear one of the great bands along with TOH,of course KB is the main man but his bands are all top class,and his voice is still amazing, even though it has dropped an octave.Major Kudu.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 04 May 2023, 19:49
toilerinblack wrote: 04 May 2023, 18:24 Yeah I'm familiar with this band over the years with their three guitarists,sax player and a chelloist too if I remember correctly from I'm guessing early eighties or around that time so they've been going now a long time and fair play to them for still going even though I wouldn't have a clue in any band members changes or line up or any originals left but I do remember a lot of their stuff through the eighties.
Sir,Do you believe in the Westworld was Kirk's second band Theatre of Hate,Kirk is the only original member of Spear And rights all the songs,they are my second favourite band and Kirk reformed Theatre of Hate a few years ago,I think TOHs first album Westworld is one of the greatest ever albums,Kirk appreciates the fans and always claps the audience at the end of gigs,a nice touch,I just love Kirk's voice and the set was so inventive,not the obvious.They produce albums regularly,a great catalogue of work.Major Kudu.
Oh right OK....like I say I'm not to familiar with them tbh got a few bits wrong and mixed up there,might take a listen to a bit of their material though I always like listening to material that's new on me.