The Brits

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

The Brits

Post by jason »

Fingers crossed tonight for Hugh getting best album for Moments of Madness! :grin:
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: The Brits

Post by Greatkudu »

jason wrote: 11 Feb 2023, 22:04 Fingers crossed tonight for Hugh getting best album for Moments of Madness! :grin:
Sir I was just going to start a thread on the Brits,ive just wasted 2hrs 15mins torturing myself watching this abomination of music,God help us.Major Styles. :smt013
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

What's everyones thought on Wet Leg? That Chaise lounge song is a bit annoying if you ask me!
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

jason wrote: 12 Feb 2023, 10:50 What's everyones thought on Wet Leg? That Chaise lounge song is a bit annoying if you ask me!
Sir it's catchy for a second, watching the Brits was painful and depressing,we seem to have gone backwards,Rock is Dead if you watched the Brits,I ask myself do people really want to listen to Harry Styles? It was just a horrid corporate charade of greed and mediocrity,full of talentless suited freeloaders,it makes me appreciate the fantastic bands that are still going and making music like Hugh, Spear etc,of course compared to world events music is not important,but music is important in all cultures, surely people deserve more than Harry Fucking Styles and Lewis i can't sing Capaldi,oh dear,I'm going to have to read the Bible to calm down.Major Lizzo Styles.
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

The Brits have been like that for at least the last 20 years, maybe longer.
I haven't bothered watching it for a long time.
Great music is still being made but it's not part of this corporate love-in and it's not in the singles charts.
The Brits is just an irrelevance to modern music.
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

I was surprised to see this crop up on here. Something slightly disturbing about 50+ year old bloke watching The Brits. Why bother?! Like Parasite I haven't bothered with it for 20+ years. If you wanna check out new music then Spotify, Radio etc is the answer, not watching some TV ceremony bullshit.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

theraven1979 wrote: 12 Feb 2023, 13:39 I was surprised to see this crop up on here. Something slightly disturbing about 50+ year old bloke watching The Brits. Why bother?! Like Parasite I haven't bothered with it for 20+ years. If you wanna check out new music then Spotify, Radio etc is the answer, not watching some TV ceremony bullshit.

Jim
True i just wanted to educate myself and I regreted it,never again.Major Kudu. PS I'm actually 21 :smt005
jonimac
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by jonimac »

jason wrote: 12 Feb 2023, 10:50 What's everyones thought on Wet Leg? That Chaise lounge song is a bit annoying if you ask me!
That’s the song that got them noticed, but I’d recommend hearing the album, which has far superior songs.
It has been a joy to see their rise over the last year, and their bewilderment at how popular they have become.
Some great footage on YouTube of their small live gigs, the fun they have, and the genuine look of astonishment as the crowd sing back the lyrics to all their songs.
The words are great, the sound is great modern indie rock, but what makes them different for me is the little musical touches they add to the songs. In particular, the lead singer Rhian actually has an incredible voice, strong and a great range.

I cannot see any way that they can follow up that first album but I’m just enjoying how good the first one is.
From Glasgow, the centre of Stranglermania (copyright Strangled 1982)
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

jonimac wrote: 12 Feb 2023, 15:43
That’s the song that got them noticed, but I’d recommend hearing the album, which has far superior songs.
It has been a joy to see their rise over the last year, and their bewilderment at how popular they have become.
Some great footage on YouTube of their small live gigs, the fun they have, and the genuine look of astonishment as the crowd sing back the lyrics to all their songs.
The words are great, the sound is great modern indie rock, but what makes them different for me is the little musical touches they add to the songs. In particular, the lead singer Rhian actually has an incredible voice, strong and a great range.

I cannot see any way that they can follow up that first album but I’m just enjoying how good the first one is.
I'll give their album a listen. :wink:
jonimac

Post by jonimac »

I recommend “Angelica “ as an example of what they do.
Definitely my favourite song of last year
From Glasgow, the centre of Stranglermania (copyright Strangled 1982)
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

Every time I go into Tesco, it sounds as if it's the vocalist from Wet Leg saying "Please prepare to push the trolley off the end of the conveyor." It could almost be a lyric from that song.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
airflamesred

Post by airflamesred »

Good lord, what have we become?
Wet leg?
They had their best dresses on and yet both grimacing as though Lizzo had nicked both their seats.

Absolute disgrace, no mention of Bacharach I suppose.