The Brits

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: The Brits

Post by jason »

jonimac wrote: 12 Feb 2023, 15:55 I recommend “Angelica “ as an example of what they do.
Definitely my favourite song of last year
Yes that sounds better than their hit.
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jetblacksdad »

Wet Leg album is , indeed, very good. Not sure I will be listening in a year but great band for now.
Also, Coach Party in the same vein

And great to see Fontaines DC getting recognised!
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

I liked Wet Leg when they first emerged (we were discussing them about a year ago on here https://www.themeninblack.co.uk/forums/ ... eg#p487132) but thought the album was a bit of a disappointment. Particularly the song where she goes "Would you like to hear my loudest scream?" and then just screams :roll: - They remind me a bit of Kaiser Chiefs - seemed a bit edgy at the time but soon became mainstream and boring.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
jonimac
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by jonimac »

You’re referring to ‘Ur Mum’.
That scream is one of the highlights of the gig, very much fan participation time :grin:

I’m not sure about the mainstream and boring bit. All the songs and videos were done long before any success.
I think that’s just because they’ve been getting more and more notice, since they went straight in at No 1 when the album came out.
And I can completely understand people watching Chez Longue and thinking wtf is that all about.
But to my ears there is plenty of substance on the album, and as I said earlier they seem a bit bewildered by the attention.

And any band that finished their acceptance speech at the Brits with “ **ck the tories” surely isn’t totally mainstream?
From Glasgow, the centre of Stranglermania (copyright Strangled 1982)
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Well there is that I suppose.

Jim
jonimac wrote: 13 Feb 2023, 10:21 You’re referring to ‘Ur Mum’.
That scream is one of the highlights of the gig, very much fan participation time :grin:

I’m not sure about the mainstream and boring bit. All the songs and videos were done long before any success.
I think that’s just because they’ve been getting more and more notice, since they went straight in at No 1 when the album came out.
And I can completely understand people watching Chez Longue and thinking wtf is that all about.
But to my ears there is plenty of substance on the album, and as I said earlier they seem a bit bewildered by the attention.

And any band that finished their acceptance speech at the Brits with “ **ck the tories” surely isn’t totally mainstream?
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Not as good as my Hero Sam Smith,he put me on the Guestlist for his tour but I was polishing my sword at the time.Major Kudu. :smt005
jonimac
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by jonimac »

He?
You’re well out of date :grin:
From Glasgow, the centre of Stranglermania (copyright Strangled 1982)
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

jason wrote: 12 Feb 2023, 10:50 What's everyones thought on Wet Leg?
They're wank.
airflamesred wrote: 12 Feb 2023, 21:23 Wet leg?
They had their best dresses on and yet both grimacing as though Lizzo had nicked both their seats.
Oh look, someone commenting on Lizzo's weight - how classy :roll:
Greatkudu wrote: 12 Feb 2023, 13:27 it makes me appreciate the fantastic bands that are still going and making music like Hugh, Spear etc
"Back in my day, we had REAL music made by REAL people on REAL instruments, and I was young enough at the time to connect with it, not like all those old farts who couldn't... god forbid I ever turn into one of those, of course!" :roll:
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

theraven1979 wrote: 12 Feb 2023, 13:39 I was surprised to see this crop up on here. Something slightly disturbing about 50+ year old bloke watching The Brits. Why bother?! Like Parasite I haven't bothered with it for 20+ years. If you wanna check out new music then Spotify, Radio etc is the answer, not watching some TV ceremony bullshit.
Indeed. It's been longer that I'd care to remember since I last paid any real attention to the BRIT Awards, and it makes little sense for me to start watching it again now because the whole musical landscape has changed in terms of how things work. In the streaming era, there are more new releases than ever and people don't rely on the old methods to discover new music anymore. Music taste has become less tribal and more atomised and personal. There's less consensus than there's ever been as to what the best releases are in any given year.

20 to 30 years ago, it was easy: You'd pay attention to what was getting the critical raves in the magazines, you'd see what tracks were getting pushed on MTV, maybe certain things would gain traction leading to increased radio airplay, TV appearances, commercial success from physical copies and then you'd have a decent idea of WHO might be winning what at the BRIT Awards.

Now, with streaming and the changes in how people consume and discover music, the BRIT Awards don't really have much of a clue as to what's truly going on anymore, as where once upon a time a lot of people would get behind one band or artist (pretty much the "band of the moment"), the same amount of people will now spread their interest out around a whole bunch of smaller bands which potentially will never get big enough to compete with yer Ed Sheeran's, Lewis Capaldi's, Adele's and all of those artists that are getting big industry push (because the industry has to make money SOMEHOW). So, in order to NOT rock the industry boat or have people sitting at home going "who!?", the BRIT Awards end up playing it very safe. Now, it could be argued that the BRIT Awards have always played it safe and this is business as usual, and this is true, but when the BRIT Awards stay the same while not taking into account how things have changed, all it does it lead to them coming across as being out of touch and increasingly it just becomes light entertainment fodder and the sort of thing I couldn't imagine any serious music fan taking seriously.

Fact: I have discovered more music through streaming, word-of-mouth and internet algorithms over the last 13 years than I have through TV, radio, magazines or award ceremonies.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

StanInBlack wrote: 15 Feb 2023, 15:40
jason wrote: 12 Feb 2023, 10:50 What's everyones thought on Wet Leg?
They're wank.
airflamesred wrote: 12 Feb 2023, 21:23 Wet leg?
They had their best dresses on and yet both grimacing as though Lizzo had nicked both their seats.
Oh look, someone commenting on Lizzo's weight - how classy :roll:
Greatkudu wrote: 12 Feb 2023, 13:27 it makes me appreciate the fantastic bands that are still going and making music like Hugh, Spear etc
"Back in my day, we had REAL music made by REAL people on REAL instruments, and I was young enough at the time to connect with it, not like all those old farts who couldn't... god forbid I ever turn into one of those, of course!" :roll:
Wow that was witty. :smt005
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Yes Im so fucking old I remember when they used to have drummers and so fucking old I remember the invention of the wheel.Major Kudu. :smt005
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

StanInBlack wrote:
theraven1979 wrote: 12 Feb 2023, 13:39 I was surprised to see this crop up on here. Something slightly disturbing about 50+ year old bloke watching The Brits. Why bother?! Like Parasite I haven't bothered with it for 20+ years. If you wanna check out new music then Spotify, Radio etc is the answer, not watching some TV ceremony bullshit.
Indeed. It's been longer that I'd care to remember since I last paid any real attention to the BRIT Awards, and it makes little sense for me to start watching it again now because the whole musical landscape has changed in terms of how things work. In the streaming era, there are more new releases than ever and people don't rely on the old methods to discover new music anymore. Music taste has become less tribal and more atomised and personal. There's less consensus than there's ever been as to what the best releases are in any given year.

20 to 30 years ago, it was easy: You'd pay attention to what was getting the critical raves in the magazines, you'd see what tracks were getting pushed on MTV, maybe certain things would gain traction leading to increased radio airplay, TV appearances, commercial success from physical copies and then you'd have a decent idea of WHO might be winning what at the BRIT Awards.

Now, with streaming and the changes in how people consume and discover music, the BRIT Awards don't really have much of a clue as to what's truly going on anymore, as where once upon a time a lot of people would get behind one band or artist (pretty much the "band of the moment"), the same amount of people will now spread their interest out around a whole bunch of smaller bands which potentially will never get big enough to compete with yer Ed Sheeran's, Lewis Capaldi's, Adele's and all of those artists that are getting big industry push (because the industry has to make money SOMEHOW). So, in order to NOT rock the industry boat or have people sitting at home going "who!?", the BRIT Awards end up playing it very safe. Now, it could be argued that the BRIT Awards have always played it safe and this is business as usual, and this is true, but when the BRIT Awards stay the same while not taking into account how things have changed, all it does it lead to them coming across as being out of touch and increasingly it just becomes light entertainment fodder and the sort of thing I couldn't imagine any serious music fan taking seriously.

Fact: I have discovered more music through streaming, word-of-mouth and internet algorithms over the last 13 years than I have through TV, radio, magazines or award ceremonies.
Yeah it's very easy to find decent new music these days.

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk