Not sure whether this has been posted ...

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Not sure whether this has been posted ...

Post by jason »

I wouldn't have a problem with Baz, Toby , Jim and a new bass player continuing as a band but they should definitely change the band name.
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

Can't believe this is even a conversation nevermind a possibility.But then again if the Stranglers continued without Hugh,Jet and Dave then I suppose continuing without JJ isn't beyond the realms of possibility.It's up to people if they still want to go and see such a farce but they'll be watching in quarter full venues.
Last edited by Ruby on 18 Feb 2023, 11:58, edited 1 time in total.
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

StanInBlack wrote: 18 Feb 2023, 00:17
ThinkTank wrote: 17 Feb 2023, 22:29 As each metamorphosis the band has taken the fans just never seem to be bothered or concerned by it and just don't seem to care. They have supported it fully.
The band and their management became very adept at spinning the situation in an attempt to convince the more reluctant fans, hence the whole nonsense about Jet mentoring Jim, for example, which many of us believed was bullshit and it eventually became clear that it was. That's just one example, and no doubt if JJ can't do The Stranglers anymore there'll be the usual spin about how Baz has been a member of the band for umpteen amount of years, which is technically true even if for most of that time he's played cover versions and creatively contributed next to nothing to what the band is known and loved for.

I believe I put my thoughts best regarding a "Baz Warne's The Stranglers" in this post here.
Thanks for the link and an Interesting thread i will read more of it today

To be fair JJ has always been able to change the story to fit the situation at the time. I saw right through all that spin and i have so many examples of my own as well. I think JJ could have enjoyed a career in politics

If the fans still want it i think it will happen and i also think more fans than we could imagine would be ok with it and not to mention new interested fans that wont care who is in the band at all. It will all be about the historic songs only and a night to jump around and say they have seen The Stranglers ,even if, only in name.
Yanders
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Yanders »

JJ wont retire, even if live shows become sporadic. So the opportunity for baz to continue alone will, hopefully , be years in the future. But i cant see it not happening, baz has every right to perform songs he's written in the stranglers as the stranglers.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Yanders wrote: 18 Feb 2023, 13:41 JJ wont retire, even if live shows become sporadic. So the opportunity for baz to continue alone will, hopefully , be years in the future. But i cant see it not happening, baz has every right to perform songs he's written in the stranglers as the stranglers.
Really? I agree to disagree Sir.I Don't agree.Major Kudu
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Please oh Please when JJ decides to call it a day,let the the Stranglers brand finish,If that what it's come to now,Baz will carry on In music or Production,they have had their day and then some,but people still want to see them,a great live band still,but I'm sure Baz wouldn't Carry on with the name,they can't carry on much longer? Major Kudu.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

Would calling themselves something like From the Stranglers be acceptable?
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

jason wrote:Would calling themselves something like From the Stranglers be acceptable?
how about "From the not proper Stranglers" ?

Sent from my moto g62 5G using Tapatalk

I Hate You !
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

aldinblack wrote: 19 Feb 2023, 00:04
jason wrote:Would calling themselves something like From the Stranglers be acceptable?
how about "From the not proper Stranglers" ?

Sent from my moto g62 5G using Tapatalk
I like it! :lol:
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

What about if they call themselves The bloke from the Toy Dolls and Stranglers Mark 3 onwards, the ex Rialto keyboard player/ Dave Greenfield disciple and Jet Black's understudy Band! It doesn't really roll off the tongue well though does it! :grin:
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

When you look at other bands away from whatever the current stranglers line up people now wants to call them other than the ever lasting entity that they are rightly named as you could look at other bands that are still happily packing some of the worlds biggest stadiums and venues like the Stones who as the originals had
Brian Jones,Bill Wyman and Chrlie Watts who all are no longer in the band and you could say it's the Mick and Keith tribute band but they keep on,The Jam has no Paul Weller whose a great solo artist still just like Hugh's situation and take UB40 it goes on.
With the Stranglers the brand name sells tickets like any other band but once left and say for example JJ went solo or it became a duo act with Baz how many tickets would they sell?
I can't imagine JJ ever wanting not to play to some sort of a live audience format, after all he's a true musician whose still clearly loving his craft so much and the whole general buzz of an audience who loves to play to a crowd his ever lasting little and clever solo lead parts.
I can't imagine him wanting to retire and the Stranglers whatever people think of the current line up Sells tickets and puts bums on seats earning them a good crust each that wouldn't happen in any other format than the Stranglers, so i can get why they are keeping it going at least until the big year in 2024 of 50 that could be a good formation earner too that i think would be a nice time to reach and peak their long career then look at doing something different after maybe, but it's their lives and careers and not mine and JJ willl call time when he sees fit to and not before.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 19 Feb 2023, 12:04, edited 1 time in total.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

toilerinblack wrote: 19 Feb 2023, 11:28 The bands continuation is their choice and it's up to each person if they still want to see them or not and rightly so i think nobody has to like the current line up and be happy and i can understand and get that, but on the other side of the coin it's still good for those who do still want to go along for a good day or night out that goes with it all that's all great i think for those who do still want to.Long term obviously it's what the whole band wants to do about how long they carry on but for me it has to be and rightly so down to JJ i hope they can just see out a nice remaining time that's left with hopefully a big finale of the big 50 and i think that for all that they've given to music and entertainment over the countless many decades they do deserve a good send off and ending when it does arrive.... but hopefully not for a long time yet in just my opinion only but many may differ with that which is only right for each person.