Your most favourite sleeve artworks.

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Your most favourite sleeve artworks.

Post by Greatkudu »

Certainly the Album covers were better in the Hugh days, maybe it's because Hugh knows a bit about Art.Major Kudu.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 06 Feb 2023, 20:00 Certainly the Album covers were better in the Hugh days, maybe it's because Hugh knows a bit about Art.Major Kudu.
Yes maybe your right as we know Hugh does like his art but how much his one influence had on an overall MK1 cover choice i wouldn't know i would of thought it would of been a band effort and management level too maybe as to ideas for covers who knows i wouldn't, the band without him have had a good few covers of their own to be fair i think,DM,NC and Coup are all good covers to be fair post Hugh but like it has been said before on here and that's there's no point in great artwork if the material itself isn't up to scratch and as for Coup musically fro me the albums tracks wasn't as good as the cover was and none post Hugh are your Gospel quality for sure,but i do like DM & NC covers.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 06 Feb 2023, 20:35, edited 1 time in total.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

toilerinblack wrote: 06 Feb 2023, 20:16
Greatkudu wrote: 06 Feb 2023, 20:00 Certainly the Album covers were better in the Hugh days, maybe it's because Hugh knows a bit about Art.Major Kudu.
Yes maybe your right as we know Hugh does like his art but how much his one influence had on an MK1 cover i don't know i would of thought it was a band effort and management level as to ideas for covers who knows, the band without him have had a good few covers of their own to be fair i think,Coup,DM,NC are all good covers to be fair post Hugh for sure but like it's been said before point in great artwork if the music isn't up to scratch and Coup for me musically wasn't as good as the cover was and none post Hugh are your Gospel quality for sure,but i like DM & NC very much great covers.
Yes a combination of Band and Management? The last great cover they has was 10,so funny,of course it wouldn't be allowed now,as some band members are blacked up etc,but they were just playing the Characters.Off thread why the fuck did Sitting on Top of the World not get on to the 10 album,it's a fantastic song,I'm just mystified by its omission.Sorry to go off thread,yes DMs is a great cover as is Giants IMHO And NC,worst cover has to be WIR,truly awful.Major of Arms Kudu.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 06 Feb 2023, 20:28
toilerinblack wrote: 06 Feb 2023, 20:16
Yes maybe your right as we know Hugh does like his art but how much his one influence had on an MK1 cover i don't know i would of thought it was a band effort and management level as to ideas for covers who knows, the band without him have had a good few covers of their own to be fair i think,Coup,DM,NC are all good covers to be fair post Hugh for sure but like it's been said before point in great artwork if the music isn't up to scratch and Coup for me musically wasn't as good as the cover was and none post Hugh are your Gospel quality for sure,but i like DM & NC very much great covers.
Yes a combination of Band and Management? The last great cover they has was 10,so funny,of course it wouldn't be allowed now,as some band members are blacked up etc,but they were just playing the Characters.Off thread why the fuck did Sitting on Top of the World not get on to the 10 album,it's a fantastic song,I'm just mystified by its omission.Sorry to go off thread,yes DMs is a great cover as is Giants IMHO And NC,worst cover has to be WIR,truly awful.Major of Arms Kudu.
Well there you go you see a lot of people knock the final "10" sudio album but i've always said that there were so mnay good tracks that should of made 10 but were left off and if they were on it i think people could be saying that is was a great album.
For example three songs straight away even though off thread i do want to address a good point you have raised..
1) Sitting on top of the world
2) Instead of this
3) poisonality.
All three great tracks should of been on "10" but for some odd reason never made the final studio album then some might of said 10 was a great album.I would of dropped straight away for me only maybe two weak tracks "In this Place" and " where i live" do others think those two tracks were as good as the three left off?...each to their own.
Sorry back on thread again but i do feel strong about 10 should of been so much better with so many other good tracks that were left off and it always gets slammed as a weak album and i don't think it should of been at all with the full material they had to choose from overall... as one fans opinion only.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Sir I think Sitting on Top of the world is the one that got away,it was only recorded as a demo,I am mystified why they didnt record it,it's as good a song as anything they have released IMHO,I may ask Hugh one day? But he's probably forgotten all about it and has moved on,last off thread another is Mumble Jumble that didn't get on the Stranglers in the Night album,Jet loved it but was out voted, again only demo version.Last off going off thread.Major Kudu.
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

Greatkudu wrote: 06 Feb 2023, 20:48 Sir I think Sitting on Top of the world is the one that got away,it was only recorded as a demo,I am mystified why they didnt record it,it's as good a song as anything they have released IMHO
Just took a listen on youtube. Can't say I agree. It sounds just like the rest of the material on '10' which I think is tepid and weak... and I don't blame the producer for that.
Let's Boogie
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

Yeah it's not a great song at all, the one that got away was Things Are Getting Better. I'd love to hear a high quality version of that one.
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
Cells&Plasma
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Cells&Plasma »

parasiteinblack wrote: 07 Feb 2023, 00:00 Yeah it's not a great song at all, the one that got away was Things Are Getting Better. I'd love to hear a high quality version of that one.
Yeah that's the Track that should have made the LP instead of 96 Tears. Sitting etc is an awful Song and Hugh sounds bored singing it.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Ok so pushing the 10 conversation this way for a sec https://www.themeninblack.co.uk/forums/ ... p?p=462540

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
strangledinAuch
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by strangledinAuch »

indeed,what was the name of that art programme Hugh appeared on as a critic/pundit?
See You At The Bar
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

strangledinAuch wrote: 09 Feb 2023, 20:24
indeed,what was the name of that art programme Hugh appeared on as a critic/pundit?
Can't remember,it was Ch 4 with George Melly.
Cells&Plasma
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Cells&Plasma »

Greatkudu wrote: 09 Feb 2023, 20:57
strangledinAuch wrote: 09 Feb 2023, 20:24
Can't remember,it was Ch 4 with George Melly.
Gallery....it was an Art Quiz Show I believe.