Your most favourite sleeve artworks.

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Re: Your most favourite sleeve artworks.

Post by Bear Cage »

I find it really hard to separate the sleeve artwork from the content.
I don't think I’d like great artwork such as The Raven, VU&Nico, Unknown Pleasures if the album inside was crap.
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Bear Cage wrote: 04 Feb 2023, 20:18 I find it really hard to separate the sleeve artwork from the content.
I don't think I’d like great artwork such as The Raven, VU&Nico, Unknown Pleasures if the album inside was crap.
Yep agreed it's no good having one of the best artworks if the main thing you are purchasing is crap agreed.
With all the MK1 front covers for me which ever one is peoples sleeve pic favourite i think they never disappointed with any of them with their music at all for me as one fans opinion only...all good on the eastern front from at least the MK1 years for me anyway.
Many may not see the great cover to DM as a great musical piece to a great artworked cover,but again i can only speak for myself who still does like what the current line up are still doing and i do like both DM cover and music but also i do get and the many who think not,but yes you are very right in what you have said and that goes for any band or musical artist if what your buying has a great cover but the main thing is crap then that's no good at all as i'd rather a blinding piece of music with no picture on it's front cover at all....agreed good point from you though.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 04 Feb 2023, 23:09, edited 1 time in total.
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

Modern times Suite I find a very good cover , DM isn't too bad either .I find Giants something trying to copy the early days but failing .Of the old M1 covers , Rattus.......actually probably all the first 4 are brilliant covers , MIB is startlingly imaginative .Too many singles to go into really .
All quiet ..........
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

Jon the Impaler wrote: 04 Feb 2023, 20:48 .I find Giants something trying to copy the early days but failing .
Giants would've worked better with just the nooses showing.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Ruby wrote: 04 Feb 2023, 20:51
Jon the Impaler wrote: 04 Feb 2023, 20:48 .I find Giants something trying to copy the early days but failing .
Giants would've worked better with just the nooses showing.
Yes your right i think good point.
giants
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by giants »

Soon as I saw the artwork for dark matters in May I had it put on to a t-shirt. Thats a big fav of mine. Also like x (certs) Uk and japan edition to. Also loved the artwork for' I don't see the world like you do' Raven 3D Would be up there as well. Bizzare ones jap compilations Great lost stranglers and Famous numbers.
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

giants wrote: 06 Feb 2023, 02:34 Bizzare ones jap compilations Great lost stranglers and Famous numbers.
They were interesting in that they had absolutely no relation to the content. One of my favourites has to be Feline.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jetblacksdad »

StanInBlack wrote: 04 Feb 2023, 12:03

After Hugh left and the band split up and then reformed as a different entity that also called itself The Stranglers but wasn't really, the album sleeves got noticeably worse overnight.
I love the fact that, as admin, you manage to, in effect, troll yourself on a regular basis.
Don't change!!! :smile:

Anyway.

Gospel is the best for me.

I got rather tired of some of the JLE sleeves later in the Hugh period and some of the self release stuff is awful.

I do like the NC sleeve of the later period.

About Time was so lazy!! and the CDG sleeve just confuses!
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

So you agree that the post-1990 (MKII+) album artwork is mostly terrible? :smile:
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jetblacksdad »

I do! Giants was silly. Childlike shock tactics from grown men.
How does it even relate to the album title?

When you look at the first 10 albums you can see why they did what they did - Maybe La Folie is the most oblique but still a great cover but not much really works post Hugh.

NC was moody as was DM but the rest looked a bit, well, cheap.
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

jetblacksdad wrote: 06 Feb 2023, 15:49 I do! Giants was silly. Childlike shock tactics from grown men.
How does it even relate to the album title?

When you look at the first 10 albums you can see why they did what they did - Maybe La Folie is the most oblique but still a great cover but not much really works post Hugh.

NC was moody as was DM but the rest looked a bit, well, cheap.
THe Stranglers never really known for subtly so really unless it's very clever Giants cover has little to do with the title 🤔. DM is a good cover , it's a bit CDG but with .....more ! It works for me , shame some of the songs don't though ( acoustic ) .
All quiet ..........
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

giants wrote: 06 Feb 2023, 02:34 Soon as I saw the artwork for dark matters in May I had it put on to a t-shirt. Thats a big fav of mine. Also like x (certs) Uk and japan edition to. Also loved the artwork for' I don't see the world like you do' Raven 3D Would be up there as well. Bizzare ones jap compilations Great lost stranglers and Famous numbers.
Agreed for me too that the minute i saw DM sleeve cover i thought WOW! how good is that with the Easter Island statues one of their best since i don't know how long for me and yes it makes a great t shirt too.