Toby songs

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Re: Toby songs

Post by ThinkTank »

jason wrote: 09 Mar 2023, 23:52 That's a pretty good setlist imo.
Its an awesome setlist . But you see my point that Hugh hasn't been In the band for over 30 years and the set list doesn't show a very active representation of the period after Hugh. That list is much better than the ones i have seen for this year but anyway I hope JJ sings Never To Look Back with pride that night but i am only guessing that actually Baz probably sings that one now .

I do admit though if you enjoy Baz singing with a set list like that you will have a great time.
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

Cells&Plasma wrote: 10 Mar 2023, 00:03
There's a massive 31 Year Gap where no Songs are represented from Marks 2 3 4 and 5.
oops i didnt see that you had already picked up on my thinking i was too quick to answer the comment
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jetblacksdad »

There's a massive 31 Year Gap where no Songs are represented from Marks 2 3 4 and 5.
Cos alot of it just does not stand up does it?
They know it, we know it!

Can't see them whacking in Daddy's riding the range for example! :smile:
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

That's a tad tragic though innit? Kinda says anything they've recorded/written since Hugh has left is pointless and they have no confidence in it.

Jim
jetblacksdad wrote: 10 Mar 2023, 10:32

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

theraven1979 wrote: 10 Mar 2023, 10:51 That's a tad tragic though innit? Kinda says anything they've recorded/written since Hugh has left is pointless and they have no confidence in it.

Jim

Don't forget that the Hugh era was so fkcing brilliant and fantastic that no band could ever match what they did between 77-90. I always believed that JJ has created the poison chalice because what he produced with Hugh can and wont ever be matched ever again. He should of started a new band when Paul joined so their new songs are not compared or shown up when played against the Hugh era of songs . Hugh's voice was far too important to that band i think that point has always been underestimated or ignored to its peril.

Now there is no Jet or Dave wtf are they thinking
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jetblacksdad »

theraven1979 wrote: 10 Mar 2023, 10:51 That's a tad tragic though innit? Kinda says anything they've recorded/written since Hugh has left is pointless and they have no confidence in it.

Jim

It is!

and I think that JJ certainly has little confidence in anything they put out post Hugh and pre NC. The only thing I can think of is Time to Die that has had any exposure
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

A lot of stuff they've done since Hugh left doesn't stand up, that much is true.

But a lot does, especially stuff from the last 3 or 4 albums. Take Relentless or Norfolk Coast as an example. Both these album tracks hold their own live right up against the MK1 greats, and both have featured regularly in the set over the last 15 years or so.
I'm not saying they're exactly as good as the very best of MK1. But they are good and there's certainly no lack of confidence playing them live alongside.
I'm not gonna list all the others. Even Giants has Freedom, where again the above has applied.

Personally I don't get all this "everything after Hugh left is crap" sentiment.
It's just not true.
Not as good as MK1 yes, but then what is ?

Sent from my moto g62 5G using Tapatalk

I Hate You !
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

Im guessing that Dave in the encore is "If you should see Dave" and not "Dagenham Dave" ?
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Tell that to the band!

Jim
aldinblack wrote: 10 Mar 2023, 13:15
Personally I don't get all this "everything after Hugh left is crap" sentiment.
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

To be fair set list is pretty good if you haven't seen them for a long time,but it's obvious that JJ doesn't rate much of the Post Hugh output,so that says it all to me.Major kudu.
Yanders
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Yanders »

A hunch but i think its more contractual. They have to play so many mk1 songs to get support from the promoters. They are the ones who think if they play too many newer tracks no one will come next time.
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

jetblacksdad wrote: 10 Mar 2023, 10:32 Cos alot of it just does not stand up does it?
In a nutshell. It would be far worse if they didn't realise it or they stubbornly built the set around it. It could still be represented by four tracks or so during a set if they chose.
Let's Boogie