Toby songs

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Toby songs

Post by Greatkudu »

Yanders wrote: 10 Mar 2023, 22:42 The setlist is so formulaic - it only ever has room for a maximum of 6 tracks from after 1990. I find it difficult to imagine baz his happy for his contributions to be ignored year after year.

Its just a strange dynamic to be in a band for this long, everyone raves about his albums, but then dont play them because the crowd need to hear ats and wob. But maybe jj and baz prefer playing mk1 over anything else?

If rat chat reappears, im going to have to ask why they never play more the 6 baz songs a night, arent i?
Sir with all respect, when you think Baz had to borrow the train fayre for his audition and now he travels the world sort off staying in 4 star hotels and has a good income,I think he would be happy playing Hugh solo songs to be honest :smt005 he knows how lucky he is,to be doing what he loves IE playing music.Major Kudu.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Ok folks it's time for Kudus brutal honesty slot :smt005 with all respect after Hugh left the writing and the songs were never as good again IMHO,they were lost souls desperately trying to find a sound that worked,when Baz took over on vocals they felt comfortable in being the nearest they could be to the original lineup all be it without Hugh obviously,the album's were never as good again IMHO,in fact i would rather Listen to the Infamous 10 album than most of the post Hugh Stranglers albums,I even think NC is overrated,but thats another thread.Major Kudu.
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

ThinkTank wrote: 10 Mar 2023, 00:19 That list is much better than the ones i have seen for this year but anyway I hope JJ sings Never To Look Back with pride that night but i am only guessing that actually Baz probably sings that one now .
This was played the last time I saw them in 2017 and JJ sang it.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

For me only two things..
1) NC is not in my opinion overated or a bad album infact quite the opposite for me it's one of this bands finest without Hugh and for me maybe again one of Paul's best work as a Strangler,but above all else is that NC has great songs to it's credit for sure with an overall good sound production too.
2) I don't think for a minute that Baz would ever want to or need to do any Hugh solo songs he wouldn't need to because he's written and can write some great songs of his own and has done so.
Baz for me has worked really hard and especially even more since Paul's departure to make this band work and take them back to something like they once were before Paul came in,again it's only my view and fair play to everybody's view on music and members .
I think he's brought the best out of JJ again since Hugh' departure and they all get on as friends too which is rare and nice to be able to see just that in the music business today and up on stage too as we once saw in 1990 what the band looked liked when it wasn't good between them.
I think now the band needs to go in thir own right of a direction with songs from JJ,Baz and Toby if he can and does write or sing and away from any comparing of Hugh or Mk1 which DM for me has proved more than that to be the case it's nothing in the slightest like anything that was ever done with Hugh,infact you couldn't get any further away and different than Baz's lead solo work to Hugh's,the style and vocal delivery is totally different to the two frontmen singers and I think as well that DM is on the complete opposite side of the fence to anything did by Mk1 and fair play to the band in their own right and credit for that album because it's good and nothing like what was ever done with Hugh in it,the only thing you could say is some of the JJ written one's like Water is you typical sounding Stranglers song but apart from that the likes of Moon,Breathe and Stallion I can't hear any Hugh influences in those songs and they are great songs.
Again we all differ and rightly so it's peoples own likes and dislikes with songs.
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

Norfolk Coast was OK,nothing special.I like about half of it,same as S16.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Ruby wrote: 11 Mar 2023, 18:18 Norfolk Coast was OK,nothing special.I like about half of it,same as S16.
I think NC and especially Suite is their best two post Hugh albums and both are very good,we all differ but those two with two different post Hugh singers both have excellent songs and production to their names and in their own right.
Those two are as overall complete albums go their best two with DM and parts of WIR too which I might be in a minority with that one but it does have a few excellent songs to it's name as well.
Again it's only what I like and the good thing is we all like different albums which is what makes this band overall over the decades the band they are.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 12 Mar 2023, 00:59, edited 1 time in total.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Do you think Toby reads this bullshit?

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Yanders
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Yanders »

I don't think for a minute that Baz would ever want to or need to do any Hugh solo songs he wouldn't need to because he's written and can write some great songs of his own and has done so.
I dont think the comment was supposed to be taken literally.
Cells&Plasma
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Cells&Plasma »

20230311_142448.jpg
20230311_142448.jpg (599.97 KiB) Viewed 3217 times
theraven1979 wrote: 11 Mar 2023, 19:15 Do you think Toby reads this bullshit?

Jim

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Cells&Plasma wrote:
20230311_142448.jpg

Jim

He was watching the rugby apparently

Jim

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

Ruby wrote: 11 Mar 2023, 17:36
ThinkTank wrote: 10 Mar 2023, 00:19 That list is much better than the ones i have seen for this year but anyway I hope JJ sings Never To Look Back with pride that night but i am only guessing that actually Baz probably sings that one now .
This was played the last time I saw them in 2017 and JJ sang it.
Yes i was being facetious of course . I would imagine it was an A1 version as well as that song perfectly suits JJ vocals and possibly if that song should be listened to anyone it should be by me i could learn more from that song than anyone. But nothing will and can get anywhere close to that Hugh era so the best thing the band can do is - if you was in the band and you wanted to give a fantastic night out to your fans then choosing anything other than mark 1 material isn't going to do it.

But for me its just Baz's voice spoils the songs and especially the over emphasised emotional faces he pulls to make it seem like the song means more to him than i suspect that they do. But then again its not Baz's fault because for me no singer will ever successfully replace Hugh, bands like the original Stranglers only come around once in a millennium.

That pic that cells posted of Olympia says everything as well just depends which way you want to look at the argument.
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

theraven1979 wrote: 12 Mar 2023, 08:30
Cells&Plasma wrote:20230311_142448.jpg

Jim

He was watching the rugby apparently

Jim

A proper rock n roll answer. If he wasn't reading it yesterday i bet he is now :grin: