50th anniversary

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Re: 50th anniversary

Post by aldinblack »

I'm sure the band will come up with something to mark the 50 years. It'll probably take some head scratching given the situation now.
Convention? No I don't think so.. In 2011 we had Jet and Dave, but now I can't see it, even if Hugh got on board (which isn't gonna happen) it would just feel silly after all this time.
Perhaps a shorter tour with a setlist that spans the whole 50 years (a bit like the Ruby) could work, with some kind of tribute to Dave and Jet built into it.
I Hate You !
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

I'd like a convention with a reunion featuring all still living stranglers and a very varied set list.
Not counting on it.
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 23 Jan 2023, 23:39
Yanders wrote: 23 Jan 2023, 23:14
markorbit wrote: 23 Jan 2023, 19:01 I can't see what the current line up could do that would come close to celebrating 50 years. Maybe a convention would be better than a couple of rare old songs added to the setlist.

No, what should happen really is an invitation to Hugh, Paul and John to let bygones be bygones and get onboard for one special night with three shorter sets highlighting each era.

The current line up would finish the night (and would also dip into the Hugh years just to be clear).

I think the familyinblack would be welcoming to all concerned.
It would be bonkers to get hugh there and not end with him on stage. Anything else would be an anticlimax.
We have to just forget about Hugh having any part of the 50th,why would he want to get involved? He's not on speaking terms with JJ,has never met Baz,it's pointless now,we just have to accept the way things are,Hugh does his thing and JJ carrying on with the Stranglers.Capt Kudu.
yes i think your right why would he take part there's nothing really for him to add that's new or he hasn't already said about his time in the band over 32 years ago and who doesn't really have anything to do with them since his departure, but i'm not him and who knows what he may think about any 50th contribution but i'm not holding out for much hope tbh,in an ideal world i'd love a reunion and see him again if only once with JJ but you can't really have an original reunion as there are now only two left so i just can''t imagine JJ & Hugh coming together for any contribution.
So the 50th i would imagine is very much how it is with the current line up only and very much business as usual but hopefully giving a very special tour to remember in 2024 well i'd like to think so,i'm just wondering is the 50th the aim to reach for the ever lasting entity and then afterwards that might well be it.
I'd love another album before they call time... but 2024 would be a real high to go out on after 50 years if that is their intention who knows they just seem to keep on going..quite remarkable for both camps i think.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 24 Jan 2023, 19:32, edited 3 times in total.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Would they book the Albert hall out again for the 50th?
Somewhere different and special to remember.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 24 Jan 2023, 19:24, edited 1 time in total.
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

We have to just forget about Hugh having any part of the 50th,why would he want to get involved? He's not on speaking terms with JJ,has never met Baz,it's pointless now,we just have to accept the way things are,Hugh does his thing and JJ carrying on with the Stranglers.
I doubt anyone is serious about that actually happening.
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

Ruby wrote: 24 Jan 2023, 19:06
We have to just forget about Hugh having any part of the 50th,why would he want to get involved? He's not on speaking terms with JJ,has never met Baz,it's pointless now,we just have to accept the way things are,Hugh does his thing and JJ carrying on with the Stranglers.
I doubt anyone is serious about that actually happening.
It was a serious suggestion bearing in mind the significance of the occasion.

Basically the last chance to bury hatchets and mark the 50th that everybody contributed to - because we're all going to be dead soon.

If anyone's ego is bigger than that they can do one. (There could be other reasons.)
Let's Boogie
Yanders
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Yanders »

It would be great if hugh, paul and john did take part. But even if they would, the dynamics of the band make it difficult.

Paul coming on to sing BTC or something would work, and maybe a mk2 track with john.

But if hugh came on to do toiler, say. Isnt everyone going to be asking why we have to listen to baz play and sing the other mk1 stuff? Or if hugh play all mk1, is baz era stuff really strong enough to finish with? Or do they finish with hugh and baz takes over woodblock duties?
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Yanders wrote: 24 Jan 2023, 22:36 It would be great if hugh, paul and john did take part. But even if they would, the dynamics of the band make it difficult.

Paul coming on to sing BTC or something would work, and maybe a mk2 track with john.

But if hugh came on to do toiler, say. Isnt everyone going to be asking why we have to listen to baz play and sing the other mk1 stuff? Or if hugh play all mk1, is baz era stuff really strong enough to finish with? Or do they finish with hugh and baz takes over woodblock duties?
It'll never happen or work and even if it did it could with say JE and PR returning for say a one off 50th event where Hugh is concerned it just never could work or happen in my view not that i could ever imagine him wanting to share the same stage again with any of them,again only in my opinion i can't say that any of them wouldn't take part.
I could never imagine Paul or John being asked back for a 50th this line up now has moved on from the past and JJ and Baz are very close who write and play together and i could never see that ever happening even for a special 50th with them returning backwards in their history with any previous members even for a 50th..even though as a fan i'd love too see them together again sharing the same stage but in reality...it ain't gonna happen .
The 50th however they do it will now i'm guessing would be just be the four of them as they currently are with a line up built after all the other previous members what with Jim and Toby and i cannot see any going back and in a way it wouldn't be good for the four of them as the happy unit they are together.
So i don't see any returns for anybody previous to the current line up....again just my view.
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

Yanders wrote: 24 Jan 2023, 22:36 But if hugh came on to do toiler, say. Isnt everyone going to be asking why we have to listen to baz play and sing the other mk1 stuff? Or if hugh play all mk1, is baz era stuff really strong enough to finish with? Or do they finish with hugh and baz takes over woodblock duties?
In my head it would be three sets in chronological order. It's not about who is the supports act or not. There isn't one.

Whether Hugh contributed to the last set I haven't even thought about but yes it all finishes with the current line up.

Alternatively, Hugh brings his band and does his thing, John and Paul do something together before the current Stranglers. Hypothetically of course.
Let's Boogie
Yanders
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Yanders »

No i didnt mean support acts, either.

But if hugh gets on stage with JJ anytime in the set, isnt everyone going to say 'why did we have to listen to baz play mk1, when we have the real thing to listen to?'

If hugh plays all mk1 with jj, whats baz doing? Waiting to wow the crowd with the best of giants?

Realistically, baz era stuff is going to be an anticlimax after mk1 with hugh. Mk1 material with baz when hugh is in the building is a wasted opportunity and everyone knows it.
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

18.00-19.00 :: JJ, Paul, John, Toby, Jim
19.30-20.30 :: JJ, Baz, Toby, Jim
Popcorn & booze
21.15-22.30 :: JJ, Hugh, Toby, Jim
23.00-00.00 :: JJ & Hugh
Fin
Shush this is serious
marky
Ugly
Ugly

Post by marky »

It’s not going to happen Hugh left fucking years ago Paul and John are long gone from the band unfortunately we have lost dear Dave and Jet concerts will surely be what we will get but anybody that thinks we are going to get a stranglers band reunion need to get over themselves it’s not going to happen and nor should it anyway