Songs Baz to have a crack at

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Re: Songs Baz to have a crack at

Post by Ruby »

kenl wrote: 08 Jan 2023, 18:00

For me, Baz is a "better" singer for the Stranglers than Paul was. I stopped going to see them with Paul but was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed the gigs once he left.
Me too.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

evonx wrote: 08 Jan 2023, 18:19
Agreed, but then he is quite comfortably the most limited lead singer to have ever professionally performed Stranglers songs as a career.
Well I do think he does all right in the rawer rockier material. On the studio material one notices a lack of depth and warmth especially on the more melodic tracks. Live: classics like GB and ATS.... Ouch.
The truth is he will never be remove the Hugh Shadow,as Hugh was so distinctive in every way,but the band or JJ is obviously happy with him,to be fair I really like his vocals on Breathe,but I played a bit of the other tracks from DMs the other day and had to turn it off,it's just so forced trying to sound everard.Lt Kudu.
gjinblack
Ugly
Ugly

Post by gjinblack »

It's never going to be the same is it kids?!

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

euromanc-ometh
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

gjinblack wrote: 08 Jan 2023, 22:44 It's never going to be the same is it kids?!

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
Well the brutal fact is,it's never been as good after Hugh left,but that's history now,I don't know why people try to convince themselves otherwise.Lt Kudu.
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

Greatkudu wrote: 09 Jan 2023, 11:23
gjinblack wrote: 08 Jan 2023, 22:44 It's never going to be the same is it kids?!
Well the brutal fact is,it's never been as good after Hugh left,but that's history now,I don't know why people try to convince themselves otherwise.Lt Kudu.
Who is trying to convince themselves otherwise ? I'd wager that 99% of the audience at a Stranglers show know exactly what they are getting and whom they are watching.It isn't for me anymore,I returned my ticket after Dave passed away but if others are still up for it then it's no skin off my nose.Or anyone else's.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Ruby wrote: 09 Jan 2023, 13:48
Greatkudu wrote: 09 Jan 2023, 11:23
Who is trying to convince themselves otherwise ? I'd wager that 99% of the audience at a Stranglers show know exactly what they are getting and whom they are watching.It isn't for me anymore,I returned my ticket after Dave passed away but if others are still up for it then it's no skin off my nose.Or anyone else's.
Sir exactly,if people enjoy it and no one is getting hurt fine,I probably would see the band If they played a short distance away but nearest town is Sampton that's Southampton,they are still a very good live band and Baz does a great job,that's it really, but I would always rather see Hugh now,and he may not tour UK again? Who knows,and the Stranglers live are still alot better than most bands today? IMHO.Lt Keys.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

evonx wrote: 08 Jan 2023, 18:19
Agreed, but then he is quite comfortably the most limited lead singer to have ever professionally performed Stranglers songs as a career.
Well I do think he does all right in the rawer rockier material. On the studio material one notices a lack of depth and warmth especially on the more melodic tracks. Live: classics like GB and ATS.... Ouch.
Yeah, I agree that Baz's voice feels most "suitable" on the earlier shouting-in-tune stuff, but he just doesn't have the versatility to pull off some of the more off the wall stuff or the melodic stuff. That and I find him - as a singer - mostly unpleasant to listen to. As you say, there does feel like there's a lack of depth and warmth there.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Well i think he had real warmth and passion in the Dark Matters acoustic sessions and especially with...If something's gonna kill me..
I think that acoustic version was beautifully played and sung and for me it is some of his best live vocals i've heard him do as a Strangler that i think is a good non shouting example but we all differ in likes and dislikes.
For me he can sing the old shoutier ones and the more softer ballads too like ISGKM shows that i think does give him has versatility but that's only how i hear it.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

toilerinblack wrote: 10 Jan 2023, 20:42 Well i think he had real warmth and passion in the Dark Matters acoustic sessions and especially with...If something's gonna kill me..
I think that acoustic version was beautifully played and sung and for me it is some of his best live vocals i've heard him do as a Strangler that i think is a good non shouting example but we all differ in likes and dislikes.
For me he can sing the old shoutier ones and the more softer ballads too like ISGKM shows that i think does give him has versatility but that's only how i hear it.
Sir my problem is I heard Hughs MOM and just thought it was so much better than DMs but I will have to give DMs another chance? I liked it at first but Hughs album made me doubt the quality of DMs.Lt Keys.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 10 Jan 2023, 21:13
toilerinblack wrote: 10 Jan 2023, 20:42 Well i think he had real warmth and passion in the Dark Matters acoustic sessions and especially with...If something's gonna kill me..
Sir my problem is I heard Hughs MOM and just thought it was so much better than DMs but I will have to give DMs another chance? I liked it at first but Hughs album made me doubt the quality of DMs.Lt Keys.
Well i agree too
MOM is as good as it gets...it's the cream of the crop..i still love it so much and nothing for me either compares...agreed!
But DM is still a good album and they have done well with a good album and tour too and credit where it's due that's all i'm saying from me and i never like to compare band to a solo artist you can't but i've stopped playing DM but MOM is still going very strong for me,but yes for me too Hugh as done it again....quite something really...MOM is up there as some of his best work for me post being a Strangler for sure.