Songs Baz to have a crack at

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

oliverj1999
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Songs Baz to have a crack at

Post by oliverj1999 »

What songs would you like to hear Baz sing to
Feel the stranglers these days need to do more rarities
Pin up
Second coming
96 Tears
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Songs Baz to have a crack at

Post by Greatkudu »

oliverj1999 wrote: 02 Jan 2023, 22:25 What songs would you like to hear Baz sing to
Feel the stranglers these days need to do more rarities
Pin up
Second coming
96 Tears
Oh please sorry his voice wouldn't be any good on these songs.Lt Kudu.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Baz doesn't have a bad voice,but he's more of a guitar player than singer,and he would admit that.Lt Kudu.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Baz is a good guitar player as it has already been said and he's also a better singer than people give him credit for in my opinion only... but each to their own.
There's songs that don't suit Baz and there are songs that certainly do i think.. as was the case for Paul too as the Hugh sung one's wern't good either to me and he had a bloody good voice on him.
To me whenever i listen to the DM acoustic session his voice along with his beautiful guitaring was and are both really nice ...i can't fault him there infact i often enjoy listening to those sessions where Baz is on top form no question there for me and he deserves credit and recognition for his input into this band for over 20 odd years i think.
If others think he can't sing it's their prerogative to that opinion and i respect that and everybody is entitled to how they hear his voice...we all differ there it's music so there will always be differences of opinion and i get that.
For me it's all about what suits your voice,tones and ranges not whether he can sing at all or he can't and to me to say he can't again i can't agree with,he has years of solo acoustic gigs under his belt where again his voice has been really nice.
To be fair to both Paul and Baz being in a band with their past history of hits from such a distinctive singer as Hugh was for 16 years is a near impossible position and situation to be in following him and for me that will always be the case........... even if your a singer as good as Paul was and is for me is living proof of the old MK1 songs being sung and how good they sound which isn't great tbh sorry in my opinion.
Away from any Hugh stuff and their own material you do then see just how good a singer they are in their own right and that has been the case for both singers post Hugh,sometimes an impossible position to be in so full credit from me anyway to both Paul and Baz for what they have done and achieved even if i haven't always like all what they have done.
I will soon say a few on here that Baz could crack as you've raised the question on your topic as there are plenty he could i feel...He's more than capable as a singer and guitarist too...to do a fine job on the right songs though not everything will suit him as did Paul too i agree there but he certainly in my opinion only is good enough to take on songs to have a crack at.
A good topic question i think from you.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Well he did a good JLNOE so maybe he could do a good version of LMIYTTF if he hasn't already i'm not sure.
Straighten out..School Mam..Shah....Dead Los Angeles..Ice Queen...is a few.
Now to me nothing will sound like the originals but this dosen't mean current line up can't still do a fine live job of songs that haven't been done for a long time or never for fans who do still want to go and hear and see them do such tracks who maybe haven't heard of some of them before that makes a good night out or even a later purchase and i say why not if gets old songs heard again in 2023 for the great songs they were also to play again and hear the fine works created by the late Jet & Dave i think is a really nice ongoing tribute to them both,even if the many think they are not as good as the original recordings it's still nice to hear such great works of material created by the original four from back in the day.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 03 Jan 2023, 20:43, edited 1 time in total.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

toilerinblack wrote: 03 Jan 2023, 19:46 Baz is a good guitar player as it has already been said and he's also a better singer than people give him credit for in my opinion only... but each to their own.
There's songs that don't suit Baz and there are songs that certainly do i think.. as was the case for Paul too as the Hugh sung one's wern't good either to me and he had a bloody good voice on him.
To me whenever i listen to the DM acoustic session his voice along with his beautiful guitaring was and are both really nice ...i can't fault him there infact i often enjoy listening to those sessions where Baz is on top form no question there for me and he deserves credit and recognition for his input into this band for over 20 odd years i think.
If others think he can't sing it's their prerogative to that opinion and i respect that and everybody is entitled to how they hear his voice...we all differ there it's music so there will always be differences of opinion and i get that.
For me it's all about what suits your voice,tones and ranges not whether he can sing at all or he can't and to me to say he can't again i can't agree with,he has years of solo acoustic gigs under his belt where again his voice has been really nice.
To be fair to both Paul and Baz being in a band with their past history of hits from such a distinctive singer as Hugh was for 16 years is a near impossible position and situation to be in following him and for me that will always be the case........... even if your a singer as good as Paul was and is for me is living proof of the old MK1 songs being sung and how good they sound which isn't great tbh sorry in my opinion.
Away from any Hugh stuff and their own material you do then see just how good a singer they are in their own right and that has been the case for both singers post Hugh,sometimes an impossible position to be in so full credit from me anyway to both Paul and Baz for what they have done and achieved even if i haven't always like all what they have done.
I will soon say a few on here that Baz could crack as you've raised the question on your topic as there are plenty he could i feel...He's more than capable as a singer and guitarist too...to do a fine job on the right songs though not everything will suit him as did Paul too i agree there but he certainly in my opinion only is good enough to take on songs to have a crack at.
The problem with Baz is he trys to hard,he just doesn't have the sinister edge that Hugh had, even now at 73 Hugh still has an edge to him,of course off stage he's a perfect Gent,Hugh has a way of singing that he doesn't have to try to hard,he knows how to get the best from his voice as obviously with age,it's not what it was,but it's still so distinctive,voices lose top end with age,I was discussing this with Kirk Brandon of Spear and TOH in 2018,he said he had lost an octave,but I actually prefer Kirks voice now,Hugh lost his voice last year for the first time as he over did it performing,but thank God it held up well with the huge tour,alot of Stranglers songs are quite hard to sing or do well sonically,so that's what made Hugh so good and still does,he can croon and also snarl when he needs to,so he was the perfect vocalist for the Stranglers,back on thread,that's the problem with whoever took over when he left,it was also the eccentricity in some of his vocal phrasing,so really I think Baz should just stick to what he does now,rather than kill a song like Pin Up or Second Coming,but please drop GB it just sounds terrible.Lt.Kudu.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 03 Jan 2023, 20:42
toilerinblack wrote: 03 Jan 2023, 19:46 Baz is a good guitar player as it has already been said and he's also a better singer than people give him credit for in my opinion only... but each to their own.
The problem with Baz is he trys to hard,he just doesn't have the sinister edge that Hugh had, even now at 73 Hugh still has an edge to him,of course off stage he's a perfect Gent,Hugh has a way of singing that he doesn't have to try to hard,he knows how to get the best from his voice as obviously with age,it's not what it was,but it's still so distinctive,voices lose top end with age,I was discussing this with Kirk Brandon of Spear and TOH in 2018,he said he had lost an octave,but I actually prefer Kirks voice now,Hugh lost his voice last year for the first time as he over did it performing,but thank God it held up well with the huge tour,alot of Stranglers songs are quite hard to sing or do well sonically,so that's what made Hugh so good and still does,he can croon and also snarl when he needs to,so he was the perfect vocalist for the Stranglers,back on thread,that's the problem with whoever took over when he left,it was also the eccentricity in some of his vocal phrasing,so really I think Baz should just stick to what he does now,rather than kill a song like Pin Up or Second Coming,but please drop GB it just sounds terrible.Lt.Kudu.
The thing is you cannot compare the two......they are completely different styled singers just the same when Paul was in the band..
They are all different no two musicians are or can be the same not that i think anybody is trying to be the same as someone else and they are just trying to do their best to great songs in only the way they can and basically that's it,so because one is not the same as another one does that mean that the band who has JJ who wrote too a lot of those songs and who is still in the band from the beginning should he and his band still not be entitled to play them still to their fans because the current vocalist doesn't sound the way Hugh did and does...Hugh is Hugh a one off and that's fact i think and he for me is like no other and i don't see the band anymore but fans who do still want to go should hear whatever the band want to play still and those who don't like it doesn't have to buy a ticket at all and those who do go and have a good night it's each to their own...and that's about it in a nutshell i think...again we all differ and repsect to each persons view.
But i know where your coming from and i understand as i'm the big MK1 Hugh fan too.
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

How’s about a song or two from Baz & Toby’s previous bands - Toy Dolls and Rialto?
I think any of their songs would slot nicely into a Stranglers set.
Shush this is serious
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Arthur Streeb-Greebling wrote: 03 Jan 2023, 21:09 How’s about a song or two from Baz & Toby’s previous bands - Toy Dolls and Rialto?
I think any of their songs would slot nicely into a Stranglers set.
Well at least it would make the set more interesting,as it's as dull as dishwater now.Lt Kudu
oliverj1999
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by oliverj1999 »

toilerinblack wrote: 03 Jan 2023, 20:34 Well he did a good JLNOE so maybe he could do a good version of LMIYTTF if he hasn't already i'm not sure.
Now to me nothing will sound like the originals but this dosen't mean current line up can't still do a fine live job of songs that haven't been done for a long time or never for fans who do still want to go and hear and see them do such tracks who maybe haven't heard of some of them before that makes a good night out or even a later purchase and i say why not if gets old songs heard again in 2023 for the great songs they were also to play again and hear the fine works created by the late Jet & Dave i think is a really nice ongoing tribute to them both,even if the many think they are not as good as the original recordings it's still nice to hear such great works of material created by the original four from back in the day.
Your gonna hate on me but I think Baz is better at straighten Out the hugh
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

oliverj1999 wrote: 03 Jan 2023, 22:12
toilerinblack wrote: 03 Jan 2023, 20:34 Well he did a good JLNOE so maybe he could do a good version of LMIYTTF if he hasn't already i'm not sure.
sir no hate,it would be sad if we couldn't disagree,to be fair Baz does that one really well.Lt Kudu.
Josh
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Josh »

Greatkudu wrote: 03 Jan 2023, 22:46
oliverj1999 wrote: 03 Jan 2023, 22:12
sir no hate,it would be sad if we couldn't disagree,to be fair Baz does that one really well.Lt Kudu.
Paul was better than either of them :wink:
Never say goodbye,
For we'll all be with you someday,
Fond adieus but never say goodbye