Your most Favourite JJ sung songs..

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Your most Favourite JJ sung songs..

Post by Greatkudu »

toilerinblack wrote: 05 Jan 2023, 19:05
Greatkudu wrote: 05 Jan 2023, 19:01
toilerinblack wrote: 05 Jan 2023, 18:59
Yes i agree..i'd go along with that description of Hugh a vocal stylist...that's a very good description and yes he's not the best singer and a distinvtive stylist one that really suited the Stranglers style and music with his snarl that's pretty much spot on.
Again you describe JJ right to whose still a unique stylist to shouting and breathy vocals like you say which is why MK1 were as successful as they were,
Firstly as Hugh has always said himself the band wrote bloody good songs that must of peed them off over the years for not getting their full recognition for their quality music and songs,so ..
1) They played great music
2) they had two unique stylist singers who sounded very different making their songs sound so different which was a bonus to their singles.
3)They had a keyboard player that gave the melody's such a recognisable lift that stuck in the brain.
4) Catchy basic bass lines like never before.
You put it all together and that had the band on top of their game and charts and sales for 16 years.
And a fantastic drummer Sir who played for the song.Lt Kudu.
Yep...you know what i was thinking just that one hour ago in my car listening to La Folie and it was Jet's drums that made every single song stand out the sound of his drums on that album is one of my favourites from him apart from The Raven obviously..
So yes sorry i should of said Jet's drums and you have said it in one.. he not only played in the song....He played for the song!
Well said.
Yes the drums are fantastic on La Folie, Family has a great groove almost Dance music, quite tricky to play on Drums,you need to have a light touch on Hi Hats and that's key to alot of Jets playing, having that light touch,Jet was a very powerful man Physically back in the day but had that light touch as we know from his Jazz background.Lt Kudu.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 05 Jan 2023, 19:09
toilerinblack wrote: 05 Jan 2023, 19:05
Greatkudu wrote: 05 Jan 2023, 19:01

And a fantastic drummer Sir who played for the song.Lt Kudu.
Yep...you know what i was thinking just that one hour ago in my car listening to La Folie and it was Jet's drums that made every single song stand out the sound of his drums on that album is one of my favourites from him apart from The Raven obviously..
So yes sorry i should of said Jet's drums and you have said it in one.. he not only played in the song....He played for the song!
Well said.
Yes the drums are fantastic on La Folie, Family has a great groove almost Dance music, quite tricky to play on Drums,you need to have a light touch on Hi Hats and that's key to alot of Jets playing, having that light touch,Jet was a very powerful man Physically back in the day but had that light touch as we know from his Jazz background.Lt Kudu.
Yes again well said when you think about it the big man was so powerful and yet he could play such softly subtle touches when it was appropiate for the song like you say....he played for the song!
I love Jet's drum stick start to Non Stop...love it!
So many of the songs started so well with Jet's drum....such a shame he's no longer here to be able to just watch and admire the genius at work.
strangledinAuch
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by strangledinAuch »

Bitching probably
So many
Good question
See You At The Bar
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

strangledinAuch wrote: 05 Jan 2023, 20:04 Bitching probably
So many
Good question
Good early jj number at his best type of song.....from back in the day.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

I'm just thinking all that shouting in the early days must have taken a toll on the voice? Hugh still snarls a bit in the Stranglers part of his set,but If he did it to much he would end up losing his voice again,and we can't have that,Kirk Brandon of Spear my second favourite band lost his voice on tour in November, luckily it came back in few days,it was the first time Hugh had ever lost his voice on tour,but thank fuck it held up well for his huge tour last year,and I hear it was his most successful tour since leaving the Stranglers,so pleased for him.Lt Keys.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

Greatkudu wrote: 05 Jan 2023, 23:03 I'm just thinking all that shouting in the early days must have taken a toll on the voice? Hugh still snarls a bit in the Stranglers part of his set,but If he did it to much he would end up losing his voice again,and we can't have that,Kirk Brandon of Spear my second favourite band lost his voice on tour in November, luckily it came back in few days,it was the first time Hugh had ever lost his voice on tour,but thank fuck it held up well for his huge tour last year,and I hear it was his most successful tour since leaving the Stranglers,so pleased for him.Lt Keys.
That's good to hear for Hugh.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

it was a Hugh tour to remember for sure.... and this album for me which is probably one of his best post'90 and i can't believe i'm saying that but still after hearing it for some time now since release day i think there's about 4-5 exceptional songs that i think he's never recorded anything quite like it before...
I thought Guilty couldn't be touched and this album is right up there side by side in a very different way they are two different type of albums but for sure his last two are have been quite incredible to release two like that back to back and if this is his last and i'm praying it's not because if we can have a hatrick of albums in a roll like the last two then it's unthinkable but for sure if this is his last then it is the most perfect last one for sure to go out on...but let's hope not.
Back to great JJ songs on topic.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

toilerinblack wrote: 06 Jan 2023, 00:24 it was a Hugh tour to remember for sure.... and this album for me which is probably one of his best post'90 and i can't believe i'm saying that but still after hearing it for some time now since release day i think there's about 4-5 exceptional songs that i think he's never recorded anything quite like it before...
I thought Guilty couldn't be touched and this album is right up there side by side in a very different way they are two different type of albums but for sure his last two are have been quite incredible to release two like that back to back and if this is his last and i'm praying it's not because if we can have a hatrick of albums in a roll like the last two then it's unthinkable but for sure if this is his last then it is the most perfect last one for sure to go out on...but let's hope not.
Sir yes get back on topic, joking of course,I forgot European Female,one of the greatest Stranglers songs IMHO, just sublime vocals by JJ and great backing from Jet,Dave and Hugh, should of been number 1,a song I told someone a few months ago was a Stranglers song and they said,I don't believe you,as they thought they just did aggressive music,Oh dear.Lt Keys Kudu.
Halifax Linda
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Halifax Linda »

So many
Good question
Love Bitching
A local band I see sometimes cover it.
Also Kudu
Just listening to Spears new album
Like it a lot
Specially Shine
And Neolithic by design
But all growing on me
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Halifax Linda wrote: 06 Jan 2023, 16:27
So many
Good question
Love Bitching
A local band I see sometimes cover it.
Also Kudu
Just listening to Spears new album
Like it a lot
Specially Shine
And Neolithic by design
But all growing on me
Hi Linda a good album,but deff a grower.Lt Kudu.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 06 Jan 2023, 12:23
toilerinblack wrote: 06 Jan 2023, 00:24 it was a Hugh tour to remember for sure.... and this album for me which is probably one of his best post'90 and i can't believe i'm saying that but still after hearing it for some time now since release day i think there's about 4-5 exceptional songs that i think he's never recorded anything quite like it before...
Sir yes get back on topic, joking of course,I forgot European Female,one of the greatest Stranglers songs IMHO, just sublime vocals by JJ and great backing from Jet,Dave and Hugh, should of been number 1,a song I told someone a few months ago was a Stranglers song and they said,I don't believe you,as they thought they just did aggressive music,Oh dear.Lt Keys Kudu.
Yes it was a great song and single it sure made people stand up and think hang about this band doesn't just do New Wave sounding songs and as fans of the the band we've always known for years the other side to them for there's.... the Stranglers the singles band... and the Stranglers the album band and for me it's always been about the Stranglers the album band by far,so the fans already knew years before the general public the other more softer side to them than the hard rocking No More Heroes that the most outside of the hardcore realm didn't know about until they heard such singles like European Female,Golden Brown,Strange Little Girl..the list goes on and on that certainly like you have said opened a few eyes and raised eyebrows to their more widen scoped music in the UK and around the globe... realising that this band wasn't just an aggressive punk or new wave band from around with the pistols era but a very talented one who could all play their instruments and could also write bloody good songs too to their name.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 06 Jan 2023, 19:43, edited 4 times in total.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

toilerinblack wrote: 06 Jan 2023, 18:17
Greatkudu wrote: 06 Jan 2023, 12:23
At least JJ is still there from that magical time ....who can still write a dam good song and songs like Water that still reminds me of a typical Mk1JJ written song .