Your most Favourite JJ sung songs..

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Your most Favourite JJ sung songs..

Post by StanInBlack »

I have a soft spot for "In the End" which to my mind is one of the finest songs that JJ has ever written and would have made for an excellent track on a JJ solo album. It's as good as any track he wrote on any of the classic Stranglers albums. It's tempting to imagine an alternative timeline where The Stranglers got back together in the late '90s and songs like "Leave Me Alone" and "In the End" shared space, but unfortunately JJ wasn't hitting the bullseye anywhere near as often as Hugh was songwriting-wise so perhaps it's best that that didn't happen in a way.
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

I have a soft spot for "In the End" which to my mind is one of the finest songs that JJ has ever written and would have made for an excellent track on a JJ solo album.
It's beautiful yes - Coup is more or less a JJ solo album anyway
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

Whilst on the subject of In The End - here's JJ singing it for World Aids Day at the now defunct Dr Martens shop at Covent Garden, London in 2000 or 1999 (not sure)

https://soundcloud.com/vonx-1/in-the-end
--eric--
and there i came
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 08 Jan 2023, 04:38 I have a soft spot for "In the End" which to my mind is one of the finest songs that JJ has ever written and would have made for an excellent track on a JJ solo album. It's as good as any track he wrote on any of the classic Stranglers albums. It's tempting to imagine an alternative timeline where The Stranglers got back together in the late '90s and songs like "Leave Me Alone" and "In the End" shared space, but unfortunately JJ wasn't hitting the bullseye anywhere near as often as Hugh was songwriting-wise so perhaps it's best that that didn't happen in a way.
I agree Stan with "Leave me alone" just a fine Hugh song i think would of made a great MK1 song.
"In the End" agreed is a beautiful written JJ song and he's written some great one's over the years for sure i just feel that such a song like "In The End" would of raised a bar even more to it's strengths had it been sung by say Paul or even Baz,never the less h'es more than shown over time he's a fine songwriter on his own merit away from the band and like you say could of made a great solo album track for him for sure and Coup was more of a solo jj written type album i think than a right Stranglers band sounding one,it does say a JJ solo album written all over it.
I think after albums like WIR and some where he didn't have so much imput into their material between PR and JE it was time for him to have a major say in the material again and at the most Coup would of been a fine JJ solo album for those who like that sort of material from him and not so much of a Stranglers one for me..... from one the finest bass players .
kenl
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by kenl »

So, he does mention his wife but is In the End a song about Hugh?
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

I think In the End is mostly about growing older
--eric--
and there i came
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

It is a beautifully written song by JJ.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Bear Cage wrote: 04 Jan 2023, 22:52
Greatkudu wrote: 04 Jan 2023, 10:39 Totally agree,but you mean what made them so good,as they are a shadow of what they were now.Lt Kudu.
I’d disagree, they may not be hitting the quality of their peak (B&W, Raven, Rattus, MIB), but I rate the Baz albums as up there with, and better than quite a lot of, the rest
Really that's surprising,but we all hear things differently thank fuck,if not we would all be Lewis Capaldi fans,and off thread thats one twunt that can't sing, people must have cloth ears.Lt Keys
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Well i rate the Baz albums too but for me nothing can touch any MK1 album end of,but i'm glad some think Baz has done some nice work because he has
and credit where it's due.
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

If i needed to choose a JJ song for someone new, to introduce to the band and show off JJ's contribution i would have to choose The Raven, For personal favourite i think it would be Bitching as that really does resonate with me. I have said this before and i really like Where i live as its JJ just writing a song straight from the heart without over thinking if it sounds cool enough. I really think Where I lIve is JJ writing and sounding like his early days of his song writing only without the aggressive approach.
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

ThinkTank wrote: 11 Jun 2023, 16:21 I really think Where I lIve is JJ writing and sounding like his early days of his song writing only without the aggressive approach.
To add a little clarity to that comment i think Where i live reminds me of the tunefulness and open sound that Dagenham Dave has JJ can do a great delivery when he wants to. Dagenham Dave is great as well its this area of JJ writing that i think he excels at where as his European songs and vladimir episodes as an example with Pavarotti and whispering techniques just dont do it for me as much and it became more frequent in later years.When JJ sings out properly he sounds great.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

ThinkTank wrote: 11 Jun 2023, 17:33
ThinkTank wrote: 11 Jun 2023, 16:21 I really think Where I lIve is JJ writing and sounding like his early days of his song writing only without the aggressive approach.
To add a little clarity to that comment i think Where i live reminds me of the tunefulness and open sound that Dagenham Dave has JJ can do a great delivery when he wants to. Dagenham Dave is great as well its this area of JJ writing that i think he excels at where as his European songs and vladimir episodes as an example with Pavarotti and whispering techniques just dont do it for me as much and it became more frequent in later years.When JJ sings out properly he sounds great.
Nice read and points from your perception of the JJ sung songs....
I too would have to agree with BItching and obviously such classics like the Raven that you have said too.
Where I live I personally can't along with sorry it does nothing for me from a great Hugh sung album.
With the JJ sung songs for me it's either great like only he can or on others it just doesn't so well for me.
JJ is so good on those oldies like Bitching,gbg,ugly,threatened,Curfew...his fantastic song list goes on and on but for me it's songs like Down that just doesn't do it for me with this vocal stlye and deliverance. But for sure tracks like Time to die ,the Raven,Instead of this are all good example of songs that does work and sound so good like only he can do.
He for me has been vital over the years staying with the band to still give them their owned distinctive sound that on hearing such songs you simply know it's the Stranglers your hearing along with those magical basslines of his....
He really has been a one off for the band for 50 years now and thank god Hugh did stop to pick up that hitch hiker all those years ago because the band for sure wouldn't of been the band they are or have been without his owned technical unique brilliance and image that has simply been the heart of this great pub rock and new wave bands overall sound.