Best song seen live?

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Re: Best song seen live?

Post by toilerinblack »

jason wrote: 28 Jul 2023, 16:37 Some of tracks played at the Albert Hall were quite enjoyable with the string section. It doesn't come across so well though on the DVV though. Valley of the birds for example.
For me of what it was and where it was with them suited and with the strings it made the whole experience special.....the ocassion rather than how good the gig was is what stands out best for me being at the Royal Albert Halll.
I just wasn't a fan of some of the vocals to some of the songs and especially some of the mk1 ones like Skin Deep and Sewer and many more wasn't for me.
Paul looked great and gave it his all but it's the old thing again for me unfortunately it's just a shame it wasn't Hugh up there with them with the orchestra now that would of been something worth seeing for me....but putting that to one side it was a massive occasion for the entity as a whole in their history that's set in stone forever and so will next year when they return there again but i've a feeling this will be bigger and better than before except very sadly without Jet and Dave.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

toilerinblack wrote: 28 Jul 2023, 18:23
jason wrote: 28 Jul 2023, 16:37 Some of tracks played at the Albert Hall were quite enjoyable with the string section. It doesn't come across so well though on the DVV though. Valley of the birds for example.
For me of what it was and where it was with them suited and with the strings it made the whole experience special.....the ocassion rather than how good the gig was is what stands out best for me being at the Royal Albert Halll.
I just wasn't a fan of some of the vocals to some of the songs and especially some of the mk1 ones like Skin Deep and Sewer and many more wasn't for me.
Paul looked great and gave it his all but it's the old thing again for me unfortunately it's just a shame it wasn't Hugh up there with them with the orchestra now that would of been something worth seeing for me....but putting that to one side it was a massive occasion for the entity as a whole in their history that's set in stone forever and so will next year when they return there again but i've a feeling this will be bigger and better than before except very sadly without Jet and Dave.
Yes Paul had a great voice but it didn't always suit the Hugh tracks.
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

One that always is one of my favourites live will always be Curfew. Never bores me.
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

evonx wrote: 29 Jul 2023, 21:02 One that always is one of my favourites live will always be Curfew. Never bores me.
Yep I have to agree there and when I think of it they've never done a bad version of it .
It's a song that was just an excellent album track in the first place from an overall great historic album.
Curfew is one of those songs that just sounds even better when done live.
Whenever I want to hear this song done at it's best I simply watch Battersea Park....Unbelievable!
So yes I agree with you mentioning Curfew.....good choice.
Waffle waitress
Rats Rally

Post by Waffle waitress »

toilerinblack wrote: 03 Aug 2023, 19:02
evonx wrote: 29 Jul 2023, 21:02 One that always is one of my favourites live will always be Curfew. Never bores me.
Yep I have to agree there and when I think of it they've never done a bad version of it .
It's a song that was just an excellent album track in the first place from an overall great historic album.
Curfew is one of those songs that just sounds even better when done live.
Whenever I want to hear this song done at it's best I simply watch Battersea Park....Unbelievable!
So yes I agree with you mentioning Curfew.....good choice.
The Revolver version is great too 👍
(all that's missing is the choker)

Liberez les Stranglers!
stuartinblack
Rats Rally

Post by stuartinblack »

Glasgow Apollo 1981 The Man you love to hate
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

stuartinblack wrote: 16 Aug 2023, 20:41 Glasgow Apollo 1981 The Man you love to hate
Good choice of a song by you...
Every La Folie song I've ever seen them perform live was always good and the Hammersmiths Man they love to hate i'll always remember JJs awesome bass in that song was just echoing bass around the building just amazing acoustics to his bass on that night.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 17 Aug 2023, 19:07, edited 4 times in total.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

I've just had a listen to your gig very quickly and the man they loved to hate sounded great, our gigs were just days apart as I saw them on that tour at the Palais on November 17th and your apollo gig was on the 23 rd.
Flicking again very quickly it was similar jn setlist but a few changes at your gig they started with a brilliant Non Stop that was a great version and Threatened too and Who Wants The World all very good versions,there's a good clear full gigs worth of the Glasgow Apollo '81 on youtube audio only.
Again...a great song choice by you I think.
kenl
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by kenl »

Curfew on the live x-cert album is exceptional.
jonimac
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by jonimac »

Glasgow Apollo 1980, The Raven, with huge Raven backdrop and a white beam coming out of it’s eye.
Completely blew my mind.

Special shout out to Aural Sculpture tour, again at the Apollo, when they had portable mouth mics.
Peaches stopped due JJ going to sort out a bouncer, lots of chat from three of them on the mics, followed by a “right, where were we” and back into it. The glory days indeed.
From Glasgow, the centre of Stranglermania (copyright Strangled 1982)
adeinblack
Rats Rally

Post by adeinblack »

I saw Golden Brown when it was first played, thought it was great (fed up of it now) they also played Pin Up which did not stay long that night, but hearing Genitix, Raven, Toiler and Sewer were all big highlights of the MK1 times.

Ugly, Non Stop, Sha Sha, Peasant were all personal highlights. Remember in those MK1 days from the first success, Grip, 5 Minutes and Walk on By were very rarely played, the band ignored their hits pretty much and moved on to the newer stuff, it was only The Raven stuff that pretty much was continuous.

After Hugh left. Norfolk Coast, Lowlands, This Song.
Summer Dreamer
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Summer Dreamer »

jason wrote: 28 Jul 2023, 16:37 Some of tracks played at the Albert Hall were quite enjoyable with the string section. It doesn't come across so well though on the DVD though. Valley of the birds for example.
Agreed, I thought Sewer at RAH was really good (although what followed wasn't quite so good...)
'Scaffolding pays good bread'