Best song seen live?

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Re: Best song seen live?

Post by ThinkTank »

droopsnoot wrote: 17 Nov 2023, 19:11
ThinkTank wrote: 17 Nov 2023, 13:46 i don't know if you was at that gig but i was and i remember thinking wtf is that why is JJ whispering Something better change !!!
I wasn't, much too far south for me to venture. As for why, hadn't he just been beaten up on the way through France to get to the gig? Maybe his ribs were hurting so he couldn't sing loudly.
I do remember a story about him being beaten up when travelling but its so long ago now that i cant remember when and how that relates in time. But if that is at the same time frame that quite possibly could explain it so that's a good shout.
When i listen to the recording now i do think its not too bad and can enjoy it for its differing version but i was very disappointed at the gig lol
Waffle waitress
Rats Rally

Post by Waffle waitress »

Best live album ? The live Hope n Anchor takes some beating, l would love to have been there 8)
(all that's missing is the choker)

Liberez les Stranglers!
Waffle waitress
Rats Rally

Post by Waffle waitress »

Waffle waitress wrote: 17 Nov 2023, 22:42 Best live album ? The live Hope n Anchor takes some beating, l would love to have been there 8)
As for gigs l was at and were recorded and released? Apollo Revisited takes some beating 💓
(all that's missing is the choker)

Liberez les Stranglers!
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

ThinkTank wrote: 17 Oct 2023, 08:45
toilerinblack wrote: 28 Jul 2023, 18:23
jason wrote: 28 Jul 2023, 16:37 Some of tracks played at the Albert Hall were quite enjoyable with the string section. It doesn't come across so well though on the DVV though. Valley of the birds for example.
For me of what it was and where it was with them suited and with the strings it made the whole experience special.....the ocassion rather than how good the gig was is what stands out best for me being at the Royal Albert Halll.
I just wasn't a fan of some of the vocals to some of the songs and especially some of the mk1 ones like Skin Deep and Sewer and many more wasn't for me.
Paul looked great and gave it his all but it's the old thing again for me unfortunately it's just a shame it wasn't Hugh up there with them with the orchestra now that would of been something worth seeing for me....but putting that to one side it was a massive occasion for the entity as a whole in their history that's set in stone forever and so will next year when they return there again but i've a feeling this will be bigger and better than before except very sadly without Jet and Dave.
I have seen a few bands and acts at the Royal Albert Hall in my time and the one thing that always struck me was how difficult it was for vocalists to sound good there. Its the very high ceiling and the round shape of the venue it makes a vocalist get lost in that mass of area. The only person i have seen that sounded excellent there was Siouxsie and the Banshees as she has a sort of pseudo gothic operatic voices and it really benefitted her in that echoey type place.

Lots of artists do add the orchestra when performing in there due to that's what its really designed for as well as opera singers but also bands realise they need to fill that place with such a high rounded building with more sound to sound better.

I honestly don't think Hugh would have sounded that great in the Royal Albert Hall either.
Well he certainly would of sung the classics a lot better tas they were once written and sounded to be like but I get what your saying about the sound and the high ceiling there too,I've also been there a few times and on my first occasion I was only about 12 where I went with my dad to a last night of the proms because he loved classical music not that I did but I went with him for the night out and especially at that age I was just in total awe of the place.
MK11 went to town to put on a good show and they did to an extent for me but again it's the old Hugh ones that just didn't work at all for me and a bit OTT on the vocals.....trying to much.
I think Hugh's vocals can sound good at any venue but I get what your saying and it's a very good valid point about that building.