Acoustic album

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

oliverj1999
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Acoustic album

Post by oliverj1999 »

So i know this isn't MKV stuff but what is everyone's thoughts on Laid Black if they we're to look back now and take a listen?
Feel like this album is forgotten about, whether that's a good or bad thing I don't know.
Do you think the MKV line up would release an all acoustic album again, throwing in some classics?
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Re: Acoustic album

Post by jetblacksdad »

Never really worked for me TBH.

Found it a bit self-indulgent.

Happy not to have another!
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

I enjoyed some of the acoustic stuff they put out in the run-up to the release of Dark Matters. I think it could work, but it would really need to have the right choice of songs from S16, Giants and Dark Matters. I think I'd rather they just did some more of those videos rather than a full album, maybe if they're feeling like going back into the studio they could work on new stuff.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

I really enjoyed Laid Black at the time. Also really enjoyed some of the acoustic gigs they did at the time (at SBE and at the 2001 convention). The acoustic tours they did here in NL and Belgium with Neil Sparkes as extra percussionist and the In Brugge CD is a great memory of those days. No need to do that what the current line up though, doesn't add much I suppose.
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

oliverj1999 wrote: 19 Dec 2022, 10:16 So i know this isn't MKV stuff but what is everyone's thoughts on Laid Black if they we're to look back now and take a listen?
Feel like this album is forgotten about, whether that's a good or bad thing I don't know.
Do you think the MKV line up would release an all acoustic album again, throwing in some classics?
Well i'm probably one of the biggest acoustic fans going..
So for me i liked Laid Black but talking about acoustic albums or gigs i thought Paul was at his best live on the on screen acoustic one in 2005 i think off my head not sure, anyway bloody good sound and his vocals were dynamite but this was Paul at last finally laying down his stamp in the band i feel around that time and obviously with NC too.
Again not Laid Black but how good was it to start any acoustic gig with Instead of this that was amazing!
So yes i like looking back to Laid Black like you say and it was good but............they got got so much better moving forwards with the whole acoustic thing where Laid in Black was in 2001 on screen in 2005 was better and the DM session tracks were of a very high class too,so for me Laid Black is good but they've followed that up after with far better versions i think,i mean i don't go anymore to see them live since Dave but back in the day i would pay anyday of the week to see them with an acoustic gig many wouldn't but i would,also in the other camp Hugh's top dog at acoustic studio and live albums and his now forever lasting one man band gigs too over the decades have been empty sounding but quality i love his busker style gigs....so they are both very good at it at the end of the day...but back on track Laid Black is good but they got so much better and perfecting their tight acoustic sound after that album in 2001.
So you bringing up the whole Laid Black acoustic make's me think it's time they released one for starters it would be so good to hear some of suite's and DM tracks on an acoustic one like the live sessions i'd love to hear another one a Laid Black 2 would be good.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

I wouldn't mind another acoustic album if it was done well like the Something's going to kill me acoustic track and the right kind of tracks were played.
oliverj1999
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by oliverj1999 »

toilerinblack wrote: 19 Dec 2022, 19:15
oliverj1999 wrote: 19 Dec 2022, 10:16 So i know this isn't MKV stuff but what is everyone's thoughts on Laid Black if they we're to look back now and take a listen?
So for me i liked Laid Black but talking about acoustic albums or gigs i thought Paul was at his best live on the on screen acoustic one in 2005 i think off my head not sure, anyway bloody good sound and his vocals were dynamite but this was Paul at last finally laying down his stamp in the band i feel around that time and obviously with NC too.
Again not Laid Black but how good was it to start any acoustic gig with Instead of this that was amazing!
So yes i like looking back to Laid Black like you say and it was good but............they got got so much better moving forwards with the whole acoustic thing where Laid in Black was in 2001 on screen in 2005 was better and the DM session tracks were of a very high class too,so for me Laid Black is good but they've followed that up after with far better versions i think,i mean i don't go anymore to see them live since Dave but back in the day i would pay anyday of the week to see them with an acoustic gig many wouldn't but i would,also in the other camp Hugh's top dog at acoustic studio and live albums and his now forever lasting one man band gigs too over the decades have been empty sounding but quality i love his busker style gigs....so they are both very good at it at the end of the day...but back on track Laid Black is good but they got so much better and perfecting their tight acoustic sound after that album in 2001.
So you bringing up the whole Laid Black acoustic make's me think it's time they released one for starters it would be so good to hear some of suite's and DM tracks on an acoustic one like the live sessions i'd love to hear another one a Laid Black 2 would be good.
Agree, spectre of love would sound interesting and some old classics like North Winds
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

Agree, spectre of love would sound interesting and some old classics like North Winds
well, they would sound like this:

Spectre https://open.spotify.com/track/3k80uLW3 ... 66b44c4ce8

North Winds https://open.spotify.com/track/3U6LE4be ... d46ac5423b
--eric--
and there i came
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

oliverj1999 wrote: 19 Dec 2022, 21:56
yep agreed about Spectre and some of Suite's songs as an acoustic session album.....this topic has me thinking further what present day acoustic session album if they was to release one would it consist of for you let's say post Hugh to present say 10 or 12 tracks....1990-2022 mine would be something like this...
1) Time to die
2) Here
3 )Norfolk Coast
4 )Freedom
5) Moon
6) Relentless
7) Heaven Or Hell
8) Tuckers Grave
9) She's Slipping Away
10) Spectre
11) Into The Fire
12) In Heaven She Walks

Now that would be an acoustic album i would buy.. what would your acoustic album post Hugh to present consist of?
oliverj1999
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by oliverj1999 »

toilerinblack wrote: 19 Dec 2022, 22:25

yep agreed about Spectre and some of Suite's songs as an acoustic session album.....this topic has me thinking further what present day acoustic session album if they was to release one would it consist of for you let's say post Hugh to present say 10 or 12 tracks....1990-2022 mine would be something like this...
1) Time to die
2) Here
3 )Norfolk Coast
4 )Freedom
5) Moon
6) Relentless
7) Heaven Or Hell
8) Tuckers Grave
9) She's Slipping Away
10) Spectre
11) Into The Fire
12) In Heaven She Walks

Now that would be an acoustic album i would buy.. what would your acoustic album post Hugh to present consist of?
Can't see into the fire being done maybe mine all mine or a whole new song
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

oliverj1999 wrote: 19 Dec 2022, 23:09
toilerinblack wrote: 19 Dec 2022, 22:25

1) Time to die
2) Here
3 )Norfolk Coast
4 )Freedom
5) Moon
6) Relentless
7) Heaven Or Hell
8) Tuckers Grave
9) She's Slipping Away
10) Spectre
11) Into The Fire
12) In Heaven She Walks

Can't see into the fire being done maybe mine all mine or a whole new song
Yes you are right on reflection i think it's in there because i love it rather than it making a good acoustic song so yes your right but the other's could be done.
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

They did Mine All Mine at the acoustic gig latest convention (2011) ... was pretty poor, Baz admitted he couldn't reach the notes our Paul can.
Time to die
A modern day Shadows/ Ventures new wave track acoustic? Can't see that work well.
--eric--
and there i came