Songs you'd like to hear return

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Cells&Plasma
The Raven
The Raven

Re: Songs you'd like to hear return

Post by Cells&Plasma »

strangledinAuch wrote: 25 Dec 2022, 22:45
Ruby wrote: 25 Dec 2022, 21:50
strangledinAuch wrote: 25 Dec 2022, 19:16 School Mam
That was ace during the 10 tour of 1990.Nobody but Hugh can do it.
Funny enough I listened to a gig off that tour on YouTube this week

I was at the Crawley gig for that tour

Little did I know it would be the last time I saw mk1
I was at Creepy Crawley too. Probably the worst sound of any Venue I have ever been in.
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

kenl wrote: 26 Dec 2022, 22:20
I was at the last tour with Hugh, Edinburgh Playhouse I think.

Very strange seeing the Stranglers with an extra guitarist on stage.
I found it bizarre.Never added anything,not to my ears anyway.With the brass section it made a total of eight on stage.Too much going on.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Ruby wrote: 27 Dec 2022, 19:08

I found it bizarre.Never added anything,not to my ears anyway.With the brass section it made a total of eight on stage.Too much going on.
Yes to an extent i agree too the extra guitarist i never quite got or was ever needed true...
JE guitar work wasn't needed and was to much that drowned some of the songs over Hugh's guitar work,at times i could hardly hear Hugh's guitaring with constant lead chipping in bits from JE that i never thought needed it and to an extent din't go or fit in with the song and it's whole tempo that for me maybe only did ruin some of the songs.
The brass i loved some never did but i thought it was great but with JE as well it was a bit to much and over powering.
But saying that for me the 10 tour and certainly Hugh's last he was on fine form and his vocals sounding sharp and in prime he gave it his all i remember thinking that at the time and still do but that's me i know many didn't really rate the 10 tour but i did.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Wasn't John brought in specifically to help on the new songs on 10 with the thousands of layers of guitars? They probably just thought "hey you could add a bit to Toiler" etc. Good or bad you decide.

Jim

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

They only played a handful anyway,from the album.Sweet smell,96 tears,where I live and teardrops.JE was surplus for the other 85% of the setlist.As for the brass,I thought it worked well and complimented some of the Aural Sculpture songs on that tour.But they dragged it out for a further five years.
kenl
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by kenl »

Some of the older songs were ruined live by the brass.
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

toilerinblack wrote: 28 Dec 2022, 17:18
But saying that for me the 10 tour and certainly Hugh's last he was on fine form and his vocals sounding sharp and in prime he gave it his all i remember thinking that at the time and still do but that's me i know many didn't really rate the 10 tour but i did.
I too enjoyed the show I saw at Manchester on the 10 tour.Others have said they picked up on bad vibes from Hugh and that something was amiss but I never.It was the same old Hugh to me,playing and singing well and bantering with the crowd.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

theraven1979 wrote: 28 Dec 2022, 17:28 Wasn't John brought in specifically to help on the new songs on 10 with the thousands of layers of guitars? They probably just thought "hey you could add a bit to Toiler" etc. Good or bad you decide.

Jim

Well Joihn's a fine guitarist and i'm not disputing that and it could be just what jim pointed out that he was brought in for the layers of guitars on the album so maybe they thought why not do the same on the tour too i've never looked at it quite like that Jim so maybe your right there who knows.
But for me is was all a bit strange,over worked and not needed i can't get my head around why it was though he was needed and that it was good for the bands overall sound live it never worked for me with the five on stage plus brass it was far to much even though i'm a fan of the brass,the only good thing for the remaining band after Hugh suddenly went is that they already had a guitarist in the wings who had already played with them on stage knowing a lot of the songs so they didn't have to look very far at all he was already with them so to speak,but as a replacement for me he wasn't ever right for the band he was suddenly now full time in...sorry but for me he wasn't but never the less a bloody good guitarist that's never in question there for me.. but his style of play for me felt like he was in the wrong band.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 28 Dec 2022, 19:27, edited 1 time in total.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Ruby wrote: 28 Dec 2022, 18:42
toilerinblack wrote: 28 Dec 2022, 17:18
I too enjoyed the show I saw at Manchester on the 10 tour.Others have said they picked up on bad vibes from Hugh and that something was amiss but I never.It was the same old Hugh to me,playing and singing well and bantering with the crowd.
For me it stood out a mile at the Ally there he was all the time close to JE on the far right corner a lot and dancing round in circles with him whilst they both played their guitars close together whilst JJ was right over the other side on the left on his own where all night i can't recall Hugh and JJ interacting much at all... which i did think was a bit odd at the time....apart from JJ singing" Something better change" where he says.."take it Hugh"
so apart from that name calling i remember nothing between them all night or very little anyway.
iain
Ugly
Ugly

Post by iain »

Just drop ten, any ten, undroppable songs from the setlist.
Play ten different songs, any ten.

Just freshen it up.
Its putting me off going to Australia thinking I could write the setlist here right now.
rotten thoughts
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Wasted,Charly Boy,Tie a Yellow Ribbon.Lt kudu.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

Princess of the Streets