Christine McVie RIP

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Manc In Black
Ugly
Ugly

Re: Christine McVie RIP

Post by Manc In Black »

theraven1979 wrote: 06 Dec 2022, 10:51 Tango In the Night was massive when it came out. I remember that much. Their 70s stuff to me just sounds like typical U.S MoR stuff. Of course the songwriting etc is great but not my cuppa tea.
Jim
Try it with a cuppa 99
on on on on
Established 11 September 1974
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

I was a bit sad to hear the news of McVie passing, she didn't seem to be the type to suffer fools gladly and seemed to be a bit of a no-nonsense personality while at the same time writing these beautifully crafted pop songs. I'm quite partial to bit of 1975-1987 era Mac, especially Tusk which has some bizarre coke-wired Lindsey Buckingham moments on it. I was never much into the Peter Green incarnation of Fleetwood Mac, outside of some fine singles it was mostly stock blues noodling to me. The Bob Welch era is underrated though, I feel - especially Future Games and Bare Trees. McVie was part of the band during that period too.

(also I'm not a fan of Meat Loaf and Jim Steinman wrote some fucking horrific songs later on for others, but the Bat Out of Hell album deserved to sell a shit ton of copies - it's Sprlngsteen blown up to Wagnerian proportions, and therefore genius)
shane
Down In The Sewer

Post by shane »

StanInBlack wrote: 08 Dec 2022, 15:54 I was a bit sad to hear the news of McVie passing, she didn't seem to be the type to suffer fools gladly and seemed to be a bit of a no-nonsense personality while at the same time writing these beautifully crafted pop songs. I'm quite partial to bit of 1975-1987 era Mac, especially Tusk which has some bizarre coke-wired Lindsey Buckingham moments on it. I was never much into the Peter Green incarnation of Fleetwood Mac, outside of some fine singles it was mostly stock blues noodling to me. The Bob Welch era is underrated though, I feel - especially Future Games and Bare Trees. McVie was part of the band during that period too.

(also I'm not a fan of Meat Loaf and Jim Steinman wrote some fucking horrific songs later on for others, but the Bat Out of Hell album deserved to sell a shit ton of copies - it's Sprlngsteen blown up to Wagnerian proportions, and therefore genius)
Bat Out of Hell was , also, produced by Todd Rundgren. A very talented man indeed.
sdg
shane
Down In The Sewer

Post by shane »

Getting back on topic after my Todd Rundgren comment. I quite like the post Peter Green stuff up to and including Tusk. I think Christine McVie wrote some very good songs and was saddened by this news.
sdg