The most 80s sounding album

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

kenl
The Man They Love To Hate

Re: The most 80s sounding album

Post by kenl »

Palais23 wrote: 14 Sep 2023, 21:38 The decade (from the mid 80s) of the Yamaha DX7 and ridiculous sounding snare drum. Some albums were spoilt with the production.
What, like Feline? The "drums" on Feline prevent it from being better than it should be.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

So much great albums from proper rock bands to mention...
Pink Floyd,Dire Straits,Jam the '80s was a great time but also in a time of crap production too.
The '80s saw for me great albums from my most favourite guitarist ever.....Rory Gallagher!
And of course the Stranglers with Feline,La Folie ,Dreamtime obviously that goes without saying.
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

kenl wrote: 15 Sep 2023, 17:06
Palais23 wrote: 14 Sep 2023, 21:38 The decade (from the mid 80s) of the Yamaha DX7 and ridiculous sounding snare drum. Some albums were spoilt with the production.
What, like Feline? The "drums" on Feline prevent it from being better than it should be.
I totally agree

That was always a huge bug bear for me there is no excuse really for any rock drummer to prefer to use a machine over proper drums. I know Jet says everyone was doing it back then it was the thing to do but its not true if you are Rick Astley or any Stock Aitken and Waterman or any dance band then maybe so but no Rock bands or any bands like the Stranglers were using them.

I think 4 very brilliant albums were blemished at the end due to the drum machine.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

ThinkTank wrote: 15 Sep 2023, 19:13
kenl wrote: 15 Sep 2023, 17:06
I totally agree

That was always a huge bug bear for me there is no excuse really for any rock drummer to prefer to use a machine over proper drums. I know Jet says everyone was doing it back then it was the thing to do but its not true if you are Rick Astley or any Stock Aitken and Waterman or any dance band then maybe so but no Rock bands or any bands like the Stranglers were using them.

I think 4 very brilliant albums were blemished at the end due to the drum machine.
The drum machine decade that finished proper music off lol...don't remind me
I liked so much music from that decade,proper music was from '40s-'80s that was proper good and varied music there was something there for everybody's taste especially the late 70's to mid '80s then..... it all went downhill for me with music in general obviously excluding the Stranglers that for me never really recovered again in my opinion ......but we all differ when it come to music.
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

Remember the drum track on Feline is Jet playing a Simmons kit and not a drum machine. He is actually playing those parts in the studio.
Took a long while for me to warm up to but I wouldn't have it any other way now, it's very distinctive and striking.
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
Josh
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Josh »

parasiteinblack wrote: 15 Sep 2023, 22:55 Remember the drum track on Feline is Jet playing a Simmons kit and not a drum machine. He is actually playing those parts in the studio.
Took a long while for me to warm up to but I wouldn't have it any other way now, it's very distinctive and striking.
Agreed, it works well
Never say goodbye,
For we'll all be with you someday,
Fond adieus but never say goodbye