Cheering for the Wood Block on Always The Sun

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Cheering for the Wood Block on Always The Sun

Post by jason »

Or some empty Cadbury's Heroes tubs for No More Heroes! :grin:
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

jetblacksdad wrote: 14 Oct 2022, 15:46
Greatkudu wrote: 11 Oct 2022, 23:58 Always found the woodblock cheering particularly narff but each to their own.Lt Kudu.
Remember the throwing red socks onto the stage during Brainbox?

Sad fuckers

Thank God no-one lobbed a turd during Peasant!
Yes I remember the Red Socks oh dear.Lt Kudu
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

I could ask the band if they want me to hit the woodblock in ATS ? It would bring back my infant school days,no more infantile than cheering the woodblock.Lt Kudu.
Last edited by Greatkudu on 15 Oct 2022, 11:32, edited 1 time in total.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

R0ssMc wrote: 11 Oct 2022, 02:15 I recently saw The Stranglers in Dublin
How recent? Only asking because they haven't been The Stranglers for a while.
R0ssMc
SHAKESPEARO

Post by R0ssMc »

They are more Stranglers now than they were with Roberts as the lead. God that finger snapping used to drive me insane.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

R0ssMc wrote: 15 Oct 2022, 00:00 They are more Stranglers now than they were with Roberts as the lead. God that finger snapping used to drive me insane.
:lol: :lol:

I hate to point out the obvious, but they are quite literally not.
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jetblacksdad »

StanInBlack wrote: 14 Oct 2022, 23:07
R0ssMc wrote: 11 Oct 2022, 02:15 I recently saw The Stranglers in Dublin
How recent? Only asking because they haven't been The Stranglers for a while.

Oh-oh!! Nurse! He's doin' it again!!! :grin:
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

R0ssMc wrote: 15 Oct 2022, 00:00 They are more Stranglers now than they were with Roberts as the lead. God that finger snapping used to drive me insane.
They have returned more as the Stranglers now with Baz on lead vocals and musically too than when PR was in it i agree and that's not knocking Paul for he was very good with the band in their own material right and what they did and stood for away from MK1 for sure ie NC and WIR who sung with some brilliant vocals too, but since his departure we have returned more to what was once before from back in the day for my one fans worth too.
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

toilerinblack wrote: 16 Oct 2022, 16:51
They have returned more as the Stranglers now with Baz on lead vocals and musically too than when PR was in it i agree and that's not knocking Paul for he was very good with the band in their own material right and what they did and stood for away from MK1 for sure ie NC and WIR who sung with some brilliant vocals too, but since his departure we have returned more to what was once before from back in the day for my one fans worth too.
We really haven't, there's no Jet, no Dave, no Hugh, no Paul, no John, no Hans. By any measure that's LESS Stranglers.

Let's look at the Norfolk Coast era by way of comparison so Baz gets some recognition:
2004 tour - 5 Stranglers (including 75% of the most famous lineup)
2022 tour - 4 Stranglers (including 25% of the most famous lineup)

Plus: The 2022 lineup only contains 40% of that 2004 lineup.

By any measure apart from "old blokes didn't like Paul clicking his fingers n stuff" what we have these days is LESS Stranglers.

I'm reserving judgement on how I feel about the current lineup until they've done something creative. I enjoyed the gig I saw this year but it felt very weird and I really did miss Dave. The MKIII lineup were easily the best lineup I ever saw perform live.
I wish all Stranglers past and present the best though of course.
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

parasiteinblack wrote: 16 Oct 2022, 17:33We really haven't, there's no Jet, no Dave, no Hugh, no Paul, no John, no Hans. By any measure that's LESS Stranglers.
parasiteinblack wrote: 16 Oct 2022, 17:33By any measure apart from "old blokes didn't like Paul clicking his fingers n stuff" what we have these days is LESS Stranglers.
Yup, nail on head!
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jetblacksdad »

parasiteinblack wrote: 16 Oct 2022, 17:33
I'm reserving judgement on how I feel about the current lineup until they've done something creative. I enjoyed the gig I saw this year but it felt very weird and I really did miss Dave. The MKIII lineup were easily the best lineup I ever saw perform live.
I think Dark Matters count's strongly as a Stranglers album because Dave was there for a big chunk of the writing and recording. Nevermind how long others have been in the band, that album has 50% of the original line up in and also had spiritual input from our lad Jet!

Of course the tour was different and of course I think we all went with tear in the eye for dear old Dave and , if I judge the board rightly, the overall impression was it was very good. Toby impressed and the energy was there.

But I think you are spot on by saying it makes sense to reserve judgement until we hear something new. Let's see. once the euphoria has died down, we might end up with a load of old tosh!
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

jetblacksdad wrote: 17 Oct 2022, 09:19
parasiteinblack wrote: 16 Oct 2022, 17:33
I think Dark Matters count's strongly as a Stranglers album because Dave was there for a big chunk of the writing and recording. Nevermind how long others have been in the band, that album has 50% of the original line up in and also had spiritual input from our lad Jet!

Of course the tour was different and of course I think we all went with tear in the eye for dear old Dave and , if I judge the board rightly, the overall impression was it was very good. Toby impressed and the energy was there.

But I think you are spot on by saying it makes sense to reserve judgement until we hear something new. Let's see. once the euphoria has died down, we might end up with a load of old tosh!
Well they can't wait 9 fucking years as JJ would be 79, approaching old age.Lt Kudu :smt013