Steve Wright

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

jeanjacketburnel
Rats Rally

Steve Wright

Post by jeanjacketburnel »

Bit sad that Steve Wright has done his last afternoon show.
Didn't play the stranglers much but listened to him from factory radio 1 days in mid 80s and then he followed me to radio 2.
I know he's still broadcasting occasionally but it seems like we've lost another national treasure.
STEVE
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Steve Wright

Post by jason »

I used to enjoy his show on Radio 1 back in the eighties with some of his characters like Mr Angry. I remember they played Souls and Punch & Judy once when Aural Sculpture came out too!
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Every time I switched his show on he was playing Propaganda's Duel

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
kjblack
Rats Rally

Post by kjblack »

He's been doin' some serious eatin' (no g) by the look of him these days.

"The Strangliers" :grin:
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Was never a fan but talented chap,the BBC seem to be having a policy of getting rid of established presenters on TV and Radio and replacing them with younger Trendy ones,i think BBC 1 seems to be the Alex Scott show,she seems to be on everything,I'm sure she was a talented football player in her day? I wouldn't know,but shes now doing a quiz programme and seems to have trouble with her Grammar,now she is a rather attractive Lady,the question is,if she was 30 stone and had a beard would she get so much work on BBC? I doubt it.BBC need to stop trying to compete with ITV and go back to quality programming I resent contributing to Zoe Ball and Gary Linnekers millions.Lt Kudu.
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

I don't think it's a policy as such, just that time passes.
Steve Wright's been on the BBC in one form or another for 40+ years, how many wartime presenters were still going in the 1980s?
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

parasiteinblack wrote:I don't think it's a policy as such, just that time passes.
Steve Wright's been on the BBC in one form or another for 40+ years, how many wartime presenters were still going in the 1980s?
Yeah I thought he pulled the rip cord on this

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

I used to enjoy his show back in the eighties on Radio 1, but on the odd occasion I've been in someone else's car and had to listen to it, I've just found him a bit annoying. On that last time, he did play "Always the Sun" and manage not to call them "The Strangliers" for a change.

I'll be listening to Scott Mills for a week or two, to see what he's like without his sidekick and without the usual features that I've quite enjoyed on his Radio 1 show. In the interim I've been listening to 6Music in the afternoon, but I'd say a lot of the music is as far away from what I like to listen to as current Radio 1 music is. But if the change from R1 to R2 means SM isn't as listenable, then I can put up with 6Music if I need to.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jetblacksdad »

His was a tired old format and he knew he number was up and got out.
In the 80's he was funny but I guess he was the DJ version of Jim Davison and just didn't move on.

He's done his bit and made a mint so I am sure he'll be happy. Good luck to him!
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

Well he's certainly lived the good life by the look of him! :grin:
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

I think Alex Scott should take over,In fact she should read the news, Question Time,Gardeners World,Newsround,Breakfast TV,in fact just have her on every fucking programme.Lt Kudu.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

Greatkudu wrote: 03 Oct 2022, 16:15 I think Alex Scott should take over,In fact she should read the news, Question Time,Gardeners World,Newsround,Breakfast TV,in fact just have her on every fucking programme.Lt Kudu.
Yes her and Jermaine Jenas would be good!