Dark Matters Vs Suite XVI

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Suite XVI or Dark Matters?

Poll ended at 03 Mar 2023, 17:25

Suite XVI
54%
Dark Matters
46%

Total votes: 56

Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Re: Dark Matters Vs Suite XVI

Post by Jon the Impaler »

the taxman wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 18:13 might have been top 20 if released with bonus disc of Paul Roberts vocals that are unreleased gathering dust in a cupboard somewhere
Cutting , noses and faces springs to mind 😀, had what you said been the case , I would have jumped at this , as it is why get what I already have 🤔
All quiet ..........
Yanders
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Yanders »

jason wrote: 25 Sep 2022, 18:52 I think it's hard to dislike Relentless isn't? For me it's a classic. 8)
I'd cope if I never heard it again.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

I think the DM v Suite comparison's been exhausted with each to their own on it all but my last summary on this topic would be that they are both very good albums in their own different right but my last comparison from the both would be which track would stand the test of time as your favourite from the two albums combined? and without thinking for me it would have be...... Relentless by a mile but the two albums do both have many countless high quality tracks to their name i think overall.
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

toilerinblack wrote: 30 Sep 2022, 15:48 I think the DM v Suite comparison's been exhausted with each to their own on it all but my last summary on this topic would be that they are both very good albums in their own different right but my last comparison from the both would be which track would stand the test of time as your favourite from the two albums combined? and without thinking for me it would have be...... Relentless by a mile but the two albums do both have many countless high quality tracks to their name i think overall.
Agree, it is the exceptional brilliance of Relentless that shaded it for me between these two excellent albums, which are both crammed with quality individual tracks that play together excellently as albums
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

There isn't anything on Suite that I would skip and the addition of Relentless and Spectre make it a very good quality album imo.....there are 5 tracks on DM I don't listen to , the acoustic stuff basically and that's the difference to me , the whole of Suite is worthy of listening.....Breathe , Down , Lines, Dave and......another one ....yes the Love one ..... don't bother listening to but the rest is good .
All quiet ..........
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Jon the Impaler wrote: 01 Oct 2022, 16:31 There isn't anything on Suite that I would skip and the addition of Relentless and Spectre make it a very good quality album imo.....there are 5 tracks on DM I don't listen to , the acoustic stuff basically and that's the difference to me , the whole of Suite is worthy of listening.....Breathe , Down , Lines, Dave and......another one ....yes the Love one ..... don't bother listening to but the rest is good .
I thought i'd finish on this topic but after reading your post i have to agree with a lot of what you have said...i too would'nt skip a track on Suite as they are all good tracks to listen to and i would one by one without any track skipping where as there are tracks on DM that i would and firstly it would be of Down too like your self which is a nice JJ written song for sure but unfortunately his vocals singing that lovely styled song just dosen't work for me.
The lines i'd skip too so that's two DM tracks i would and none that i would on Suite,but where i do differ with you is that i like Breathe and the Dave song and i for one love their acoustic sung songs always have done with this band it works so very well even back to the Paul days, so it's swings and roundabouts on the two albums again for me and Suite has the better overall track too from the both combined so overall Suite just noses it.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 02 Oct 2022, 10:32, edited 1 time in total.
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

toilerinblack wrote: 01 Oct 2022, 22:23
Jon the Impaler wrote: 01 Oct 2022, 16:31 There isn't anything on Suite that I would skip and the addition of Relentless and Spectre make it a very good quality album imo.....there are 5 tracks on DM I don't listen to , the acoustic stuff basically and that's the difference to me , the whole of Suite is worthy of listening.....Breathe , Down , Lines, Dave and......another one ....yes the Love one ..... don't bother listening to but the rest is good .
I thought i'd finish on this topic but after reading your post i have to agree with a lot of what you have said...i too would'nt skip a track on Suite as they are all good tracks to listen to and i would one by one without any track skipping where as there are tracks on DM that i would and firstly it would be of Down too like your self which is a nice JJ written song for sure but unfortunately his vocals singing that lovely styled song just dosen't work for me and i which could of worked better for me if Baz had sung it maybe.
The lines i'd skip too so that's two DM tracks i would and none that i would on Suite,but where i do differ with you is that i like Breathe and the Dave song and i for one love their acoustic sung songs always have done with this band it works so very well even back to the Paul days, so it's swings and roundabouts on the two albums again for me and Suite has the better overall track too from the both combined so overall Suite just noses it.
Well , that's just me , I don't like acoustic material , just a matter of taste .Breathe for me is too long and I don't particularly rate it much ......I know a lot do and my dislike is nowhere near that of a certain other song from a previous album 😁, it's just something I don't like much , like the jazz stuff which luckily there was none on DM , but they replaced it with 5, yes ........5 pretty much acoustic tracks . I just don't listen to acoustic .I do think overall DM is good , Suite however has passed the test of time now....I think it's nearly 20 years old , DM is a baby. While Suite isn't perfect ....it's as good as you can get from the band these days , and I am quite happy with that . Guess there isn't much else to say .
All quiet ..........
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

I think Dark Matters is as good as it could be with the limitations of recording having to finish it off remotely,there is a lack of cohesion as a whole but it's as good as it could be at the time,all the Dark Matters tracks sounded better live IMHO,but the test is what will it sound like in 5 years time,the way Putin is threating we may not find out.Lt Kudu. :smt013
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

I think there's probably more skippable tracks on Suite with Summat, See me coming and Hate you. I don't really skip any anything on DM.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

So for me overall apart from maybe Giants all the bands post Hugh albums starting from NC have been very good where they have been overall quite consistent.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 02 Oct 2022, 11:27, edited 1 time in total.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Jon the Impaler wrote: 02 Oct 2022, 09:37
I thought i'd finish on this topic but after reading your post i have to agree with a lot of what you have said...i too would'nt skip a track on Suite as they are all good tracks to listen to and i would one by one without any track skipping where as there are tracks on DM that i would and firstly it would be of Down too like your self which is a nice JJ written song for sure but unfortunately his vocals singing that lovely styled song just dosen't work for me and i which could of worked better for me if Baz had sung it maybe.
Well , that's just me , I don't like acoustic material , just a matter of taste .Breathe for me is too long and I don't particularly rate it much ......I know a lot do and my dislike is nowhere near that of a certain other song from a previous album 😁, it's just something I don't like much , like the jazz stuff which luckily there was none on DM , but they replaced it with 5, yes ........5 pretty much acoustic tracks . I just don't listen to acoustic .I do think overall DM is good , Suite however has passed the test of time now....I think it's nearly 20 years old , DM is a baby. While Suite isn't perfect ....it's as good as you can get from the band these days , and I am quite happy with that . Guess there isn't much else to say .
I understand your views with me i just differ maybe because i play acoustic guitar mainly nowday's is why i enjoy listening to their acoustic songs and sets.
The great point to this band for me is over their years where they've been more commercially best known for their earlier electric hard edged new wave songs and not punk as most of the media would categorise them in but over the decades and again especially with the DM tracks for me have very professional on their more subtle and emptier sounding acoustic sets i'd say certainly since the Paul's on screen set days of 2005 where the bands songs had been perfected and so tight to sound as good as they did and still do and again nowday's still with just the two of them with DMs songs i feel as just fans opinion only but we all differ on that front and i can understand the most preferring their electric sets and songs for what they've really been best known and liked for.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 02 Oct 2022, 11:34, edited 4 times in total.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

toilerinblack wrote: 02 Oct 2022, 10:43
Jon the Impaler wrote: 02 Oct 2022, 09:37

I understand your views with me i just differ maybe because i play acoustic guitar mainly nowday's is why i enjoy listening and appreciate the sound along with their playing on the acoustic songs and sets.
The great point to this band for me maybe only is over their years where they've been commercially best known for their more earlier electric hard edged new wave songs and not the few punk ones that most would categorise them in were fantastic as we all know that but over the decades was the other side of the band running alongside their electric set again too with the DM tracks was a great acoustic band that made those hard edged songs still sounding so good with it's more subtle and emptier sound to them that was perfected around the Paul's on screen sets of 2005 for me that is still continuing on to nowday's with just only the two of them and the DM songs but again we all differ on that front which i can understand the most probably preferring their distinctive sound of the electric songs in the set which is what their been best known and liked for.