Dark Matters Vs Suite XVI

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Suite XVI or Dark Matters?

Poll ended at 03 Mar 2023, 17:25

Suite XVI
54%
Dark Matters
46%

Total votes: 56

Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Dark Matters Vs Suite XVI

Post by Greatkudu »

I have now changed my mind on this,I have listened to Both albums in last few days and I think they are good as each other, sonically I would say Dark Matters maybe edges it,and Breathe is a sublime song IMHO.Lt Kudu.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

Greatkudu wrote: 08 Oct 2022, 10:05 I have now changed my mind on this,I have listened to Both albums in last few days and I think they are good as each other, sonically I would say Dark Matters maybe edges it,and Breathe is a sublime song IMHO.Lt Kudu.
Breathe was the one of the songs I was disappointed with initially. It's grown on me but I'd only give it a 7 out of 10.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

jason wrote: 08 Oct 2022, 19:48
Greatkudu wrote: 08 Oct 2022, 10:05 I have now changed my mind on this,I have listened to Both albums in last few days and I think they are good as each other, sonically I would say Dark Matters maybe edges it,and Breathe is a sublime song IMHO.Lt Kudu.
Breathe was the one of the songs I was disappointed with initially. It's grown on me but I'd only give it a 7 out of 10.

The more you listen to it the more it grows,some great Dave keyboard work to.Lt Kudu.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 08 Oct 2022, 20:44
jason wrote: 08 Oct 2022, 19:48

The more you listen to it the more it grows,some great Dave keyboard work to.Lt Kudu.
Agreed as i've always been a fan of Breathe myself from the off on release day,this song certainly shows off Baz's & Jim's skills on the later part of the song.Breathe is certainly a song grower for those who keep going back to it,as for the whole DM v Suite debate it's each to their own on that one but for me it does keep swinging from one to the other but i'd have to say suite has the test of time behind it with tracks that are brilliant but then again i'm a massive DM fan like your self,but post Hugh they are both behind the best ever Stranglers album being NC which i still play so much and behind them all would be Giants being last on my list.
DM has been a fantastic last album from Dave and full credit to the whole band and Louie too.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

I really didn't like most of the songs on DM when I heard them live etc for the first time but I certainly like all of the album now. Whereas I instantly liked Suite XVI.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

jason wrote: 09 Oct 2022, 08:33 I really didn't like most of the songs on DM when I heard them live etc for the first time but I certainly like all of the album now. Whereas I instantly liked Suite XVI.
I played DMs for first time for a long time a few days ago and I think it's a great album IMHO,if somethings gonna kill me is my fave at the moment.Of course others disagree which is great.Lt Kudu.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 09 Oct 2022, 15:20
jason wrote: 09 Oct 2022, 08:33 I really didn't like most of the songs on DM when I heard them live etc for the first time but I certainly like all of the album now. Whereas I instantly liked Suite XVI.
I played DMs for first time for a long time a few days ago and I think it's a great album IMHO,if somethings gonna kill me is my fave at the moment.Of course others disagree which is great.Lt Kudu.
Yes and ISGKM on the acoustic set was just amazing too i think some of the DM acoustic sessions have been Baz vocally at his best as a Strangler for me and the DM songs have to me sounded very good live but you would have more of an honest opinion live nowday's than me on DMs tracks.
Doing White Stallion with all it's production to it's name has been a brave song to do live that seems to have paid off and gone down well and now a favourite with the fans who are there from what i can tell without actually being there live these days myself.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 09 Oct 2022, 16:00, edited 6 times in total.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 09 Oct 2022, 15:20
I thin both Suites and Dark Matters songs have both sounded great live when done.
Fredib
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Fredib »

Suite XVI by far ! Except "Edmond" track which is a filler (JJ talks about this track in his book : track included because short of songs : Desert Soul should have been included instead but Paul demised...). Never been a fan of D.M. I consider Giants a far superior album but its my opinion. "Breathe" is soooo weak & "Stallion" is overproduced
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

Desert Soul should have been included
Hear hear 👍🙏
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

Fredib wrote: 21 Oct 2022, 12:17 Suite XVI by far ! Except "Edmond" track which is a filler (JJ talks about this track in his book : track included because short of songs : Desert Soul should have been included instead but Paul demised...). Never been a fan of D.M. I consider Giants a far superior album but its my opinion. "Breathe" is soooo weak & "Stallion" is overproduced
Haven't heard or seen the comments on Edmond , don't think that book is available in English . I like the whole of Suite , its got a brilliant track in Relentless and the very good Spectre plus a lot of good tracks , nothing that I wouldn't listen to. DM is good , but I wouldn't go beyond that , there is nothing to me that could rate among the very best Stranglers tracks , taking nothing away from them but to me they don't reach that level.....and you have the likes of Breathe , Down , Lines and Dave which I just don't like very much and If Something which I don't find particularly great .Suite is by far a more solid and consistent album , by a country mile imo . Not even close .
All quiet ..........
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Yep i get that ...I think that maybe DM is a slower grower than the first great impact of Suite's songs ...agreed,but never the less DM does have some very nice songs to it's credit.