Baz's side project - WINGMEN

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Re: Baz's side project - WINGMEN

Post by theraven1979 »

Yep - even though the songs are "a bit ranty" I can only agree with their sentiments

Jim
Jake wrote: 20 Jan 2023, 00:09 I totally agree with Baz the Brexit vote, not gonna lie, alright song actually
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
RetroRocket
Rats Rally

Post by RetroRocket »

I'm seeing them in London tomorrow. Still enjoying the album!

Also seen the setlist, some interesting covers, not at all what you might expect... looks to be a good night!
Cells&Plasma
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Cells&Plasma »

RetroRocket wrote: 20 Jan 2023, 09:58 I'm seeing them in London tomorrow. Still enjoying the album!

Also seen the setlist, some interesting covers, not at all what you might expect... looks to be a good night!
Can you post a Link to the Setlist please?
RetroRocket
Rats Rally

Post by RetroRocket »

Cells&Plasma wrote: 20 Jan 2023, 13:59
RetroRocket wrote: 20 Jan 2023, 09:58 I'm seeing them in London tomorrow. Still enjoying the album!

It's posted on a facebook page following the band, so not sure if you can see this without joining?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/6931701 ... 176978725/
Cells&Plasma
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Cells&Plasma »

RetroRocket wrote: 20 Jan 2023, 14:52
Cells&Plasma wrote: 20 Jan 2023, 13:59

It's posted on a facebook page following the band, so not sure if you can see this without joining?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/6931701 ... 176978725/
Thanks I can see that. 👍🏻🤟🏻
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

theraven1979 wrote: 20 Jan 2023, 09:26 Yep - even though the songs are "a bit ranty" I can only agree with their sentiments

Jim
Jake wrote: 20 Jan 2023, 00:09 I totally agree with Baz the Brexit vote, not gonna lie, alright song actually
The NHS one is a blinder, too radical for the stranglers perhaps? I think it’s something even most Tory voters would find hard to argue.

I wonder why these songs are not presented to the stranglers? Perhaps going to alienate “some” fans, or doesn’t fit with the stranglers established images, or dare I say the ideology of Mr Burnel.

I came across Wingmen by chance on YouTube, quite liked what I heard and decided to steam the album, quite liked it. It felt a bit more natural than say Dark Matters, which I think kind of try’s to be something it’s not, and you said yourself I believe that Baz sounds more at ease. I agree, he does, I know I have not exactly been his number one fan in the capacity as frontman for the stranglers, I saw STH support the stranglers and thought they were poor, but this Wingmen album, it’s not bad actually, credit where it’s due.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Jake wrote: 20 Jan 2023, 19:51
theraven1979 wrote: 20 Jan 2023, 09:26 Yep - even though the songs are "a bit ranty" I can only agree with their sentiments

Jim
The NHS one is a blinder, too radical for the stranglers perhaps? I think it’s something even most Tory voters would find hard to argue.

I wonder why these songs are not presented to the stranglers? Perhaps going to alienate “some” fans, or doesn’t fit with the stranglers established images, or dare I say the ideology of Mr Burnel.

I came across Wingmen by chance on YouTube, quite liked what I heard and decided to steam the album, quite liked it. It felt a bit more natural than say Dark Matters, which I think kind of try’s to be something it’s not, and you said yourself I believe that Baz sounds more at ease. I agree, he does, I know I have not exactly been his number one fan in the capacity as frontman for the stranglers, I saw STH support the stranglers and thought they were poor, but this Wingmen album, it’s not bad actually, credit where it’s due.
Sir I admit when I'm wrong,I may have to buy the album,and i would see them live but to far for me,I saw some footage and it looked good,Baz had his Andy Cap hat on and brown leather jacket,such great musicians in the band,it shows Baz could have a career outside of the Stranglers,he seemed more natural in the live clips I saw.Capt Kudu.
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

Greatkudu wrote: 20 Jan 2023, 20:59

Sir I admit when I'm wrong,I may have to buy the album,and i would see them live but to far for me,I saw some footage and it looked good,Baz had his Andy Cap hat on and brown leather jacket,such great musicians in the band,it shows Baz could have a career outside of the Stranglers,he seemed more natural in the live clips I saw.Capt Kudu.
STH, I just want to clarify Small Town Heroes, I saw them support the stranglers at the Kentish Town Forum in December 1995, and thought they were incredibly dull, who knows if I would think better of them now. I can’t remember I don’t think Baz was the frontman, I just remember thinking this is dull. Baz will always have not necessarily too big, but very different shoes to fill when it comes to fronting the stranglers. I don’t like his style of banter with the stranglers, but here in this band, his banter is alright. I found the album quite humorous even, not something I think he pulls off in the stranglers. There’s such a kind of sacred legacy to the stranglers it’s hard for anyone besides the original to do it justice. I don’t know much about the other musicians, one of them has been a bass player in The Damned, one from Ruts DC, none of this seems to matter, it’s the type of thing I would probably like. Not every song was great on that album, but I probably shock horror kind of prefer it over the latest stranglers and Hugh offerings.

I don’t know if Baz penned the lyrics, I assume he did, his wife is an NHS Doctor after all, that NHS number is very welcomed. I am also impressed a bloke from Sunderland, a staunchly Leave voting area, is willing to stick his neck out and launch a fierce but humorous critique on Brexit, good on ya Baz, I think it’s amongst his best work really 8)
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

I really like this album now.
manticore
Ugly
Ugly

Post by manticore »

Jake wrote: 20 Jan 2023, 22:14
Greatkudu wrote: 20 Jan 2023, 20:59

STH, I just want to clarify Small Town Heroes, I saw them support the stranglers at the Kentish Town Forum in December 1995, and thought they were incredibly dull, who knows if I would think better of them now. I can’t remember I don’t think Baz was the frontman, I just remember thinking this is dull. Baz will always have not necessarily too big, but very different shoes to fill when it comes to fronting the stranglers. I don’t like his style of banter with the stranglers, but here in this band, his banter is alright. I found the album quite humorous even, not something I think he pulls off in the stranglers. There’s such a kind of sacred legacy to the stranglers it’s hard for anyone besides the original to do it justice. I don’t know much about the other musicians, one of them has been a bass player in The Damned, one from Ruts DC, none of this seems to matter, it’s the type of thing I would probably like. Not every song was great on that album, but I probably shock horror kind of prefer it over the latest stranglers and Hugh offerings.

I don’t know if Baz penned the lyrics, I assume he did, his wife is an NHS Doctor after all, that NHS number is very welcomed. I am also impressed a bloke from Sunderland, a staunchly Leave voting area, is willing to stick his neck out and launch a fierce but humorous critique on Brexit, good on ya Baz, I think it’s amongst his best work really 8)
Baz's brother was small town heroes frontman.
dont get your trossachs caught in your sporran
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

I went to see Wingmen last night in MK. Very good, with some interesting surprises which were very well done, as well as the album obviously.
Good to see a great bunch of musicians from the different bands playing together. They're all great players for me.
If you don't like "Baz swearing" don't go! Otherwise recommended!
I Hate You !
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

aldinblack wrote: 21 Jan 2023, 13:33 I went to see Wingmen last night in MK. Very good, with some interesting surprises which were very well done, as well as the album obviously.
Good to see a great bunch of musicians from the different bands playing together. They're all great players for me.
If you don't like "Baz swearing" don't go! Otherwise recommended!
Baz swore? Shocking.Capt Kudu :smt005