Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Baz's side project - WINGMEN

Post by Greatkudu »

theraven1979 wrote: 21 Jan 2023, 19:11 Swearing is ded hard though innit. It's what a "strangler" would do

Jim

Baz looks very hard in his Andy Cap outfit.Capt Kudu. :smt005
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Greatkudu wrote:
theraven1979 wrote: 21 Jan 2023, 19:11 Swearing is ded hard though innit. It's what a "strangler" would do

Jim

Baz looks very hard in his Andy Cap outfit.Capt Kudu. :smt005
Peaky Blinders. Quite the fashion....in 2019

Jim

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

Jake wrote: 20 Jan 2023, 19:51
theraven1979 wrote: 20 Jan 2023, 09:26 Yep - even though the songs are "a bit ranty" I can only agree with their sentiments

Jim
Jake wrote: 20 Jan 2023, 00:09 I totally agree with Baz the Brexit vote, not gonna lie, alright song actually
The NHS one is a blinder, too radical for the stranglers perhaps? I think it’s something even most Tory voters would find hard to argue.

I wonder why these songs are not presented to the stranglers? Perhaps going to alienate “some” fans, or doesn’t fit with the stranglers established images, or dare I say the ideology of Mr Burnel.

I came across Wingmen by chance on YouTube, quite liked what I heard and decided to steam the album, quite liked it. It felt a bit more natural than say Dark Matters, which I think kind of try’s to be something it’s not, and you said yourself I believe that Baz sounds more at ease. I agree, he does, I know I have not exactly been his number one fan in the capacity as frontman for the stranglers, I saw STH support the stranglers and thought they were poor, but this Wingmen album, it’s not bad actually, credit where it’s due.
Though I quite like DM , a few songs off Wingmen placed onto DM would probably have made DM a very good album rather than just good ......imo drop Breathe , Lines ,Down , Kill me and Dave ( all the acoustic trash ) and replace with 5 upbeat up tempo from Wingmen and you have a very good album .
All quiet ..........
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

Jon the Impaler wrote:
Jake wrote: 20 Jan 2023, 19:51
theraven1979 wrote: 20 Jan 2023, 09:26 Yep - even though the songs are "a bit ranty" I can only agree with their sentiments

Jim
The NHS one is a blinder, too radical for the stranglers perhaps? I think it’s something even most Tory voters would find hard to argue.

I wonder why these songs are not presented to the stranglers? Perhaps going to alienate “some” fans, or doesn’t fit with the stranglers established images, or dare I say the ideology of Mr Burnel.

I came across Wingmen by chance on YouTube, quite liked what I heard and decided to steam the album, quite liked it. It felt a bit more natural than say Dark Matters, which I think kind of try’s to be something it’s not, and you said yourself I believe that Baz sounds more at ease. I agree, he does, I know I have not exactly been his number one fan in the capacity as frontman for the stranglers, I saw STH support the stranglers and thought they were poor, but this Wingmen album, it’s not bad actually, credit where it’s due.
Though I quite like DM , a few songs off Wingmen placed onto DM would probably have made DM a very good album rather than just good ......imo drop Breathe , Lines ,Down , Kill me and Dave ( all the acoustic trash ) and replace with 5 upbeat up tempo from Wingmen and you have a very good album .
yeah kind of agree now. I get where the band were coming from with all these sensitive / acoustic things.
But I can't be doing with anymore like that now, not unless they're very high quality - say like NTLB - which they're never gonna be now...
I Hate You !
iain
Ugly
Ugly

Post by iain »

Good tunes. Shallow lyrics, as one comes to expect from Baz.
rotten thoughts
RetroRocket
Rats Rally

Post by RetroRocket »

I saw them last night, a very good show. Five incredibly talented musicians. I would recommend catching them if you can.

The venue was maybe too ambitious for them (800 capacity, maybe 200 in attendance), but they still gave it their all, and seemed to be really enjoying themselves.

Can't personally see any longevity in the project, but what the fuck do I know! I hope I'm wrong!
Boody
Ugly
Ugly
Location: Arse end of commuter land, always looking for an escape

Post by Boody »

A friend subscribes to some sort of cheap ticket website - she was offered tickets for last night for £4.95, so I was a bit concerned ticket sales were poor. Shame- regardless of what you think of the music, they all seen like decent people.
I can't help getting old. I just refuse to grow up.
Hugh in Black
Rats Rally

Post by Hugh in Black »

Interviewed Baz about Wingmen the other week (article coming soon) and saw them last night near Leeds. They were absolutely amazing.

A few covers in the set, including an excellent rendition of "Long Black Veil."
Hughie in Black
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

I see you can stream their Brighton gig! Have the Stranglers or Hugh ever done this? Sounds like quite a good idea.
Cells&Plasma
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Cells&Plasma »

jason wrote: 27 Jan 2023, 20:01 I see you can stream their Brighton gig! Have the Stranglers or Hugh ever done this? Sounds like quite a good idea.
Wasn't the L’Olympia Paris in 2014 Live Streamed??

Cannes in January 2000 was....
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jetblacksdad »

Anyone else finding the spoken lyrics a bit of a chore?
The album is OK but lacking any real bite of me.

It's a bit pipe n slippers - pleasant enough but lacking the WOW factor that a debut should hve.
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+