Baz's side project - WINGMEN

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

iain
Ugly
Ugly

Re: Baz's side project - WINGMEN

Post by iain »

Well, the streamed show was a pretty good 90 minutes with a decent pub band.
If Baz wants to sneer about halfwits voting to leave the EU, that's his call of course. Doesn't sit well with me though. I want a night out and a laugh, not that.
If he brings it to Stranglers gigs, I'm out...
rotten thoughts
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jetblacksdad »

I like that aspect as politics should always be in music!
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

iain wrote: 30 Jan 2023, 11:20 If Baz wants to sneer about halfwits voting to leave the EU, that's his call of course. Doesn't sit well with me though. I want a night out and a laugh, not that.
I was going to go and see them in Liverpool but ended up not bothering, and this was part of it. I don't want to hear politics, just like I don't want to hear someone banging on about football in the middle of a gig, and probably loads of other stuff. Too tempting to shout "get on with it!"
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Some of the Stranglers back catalogue as quite a hard political edge. Nuclear Device for example.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jetblacksdad »

I think it's how the message is delivered that counts
The Wingmen anti_Brexit "voice" is very sneering and lacks subtlety (though I am a staunch remainer).

JJ's pro European work was done in a more nuanced and philosophical manner.

Politics/religion/race/environment etc should all be part of a narrative for songs - as should the good old love/hate.

To not see a band because a song doesn't sit with you politically seems to miss the point in my opinion.

Baz has made really good points about how Brexit makes doing EU gigs more difficult what with export carnets etc. A real pain in the arse thanks to Brexit and if that sparks a lyric, then that's all good in my book. But the sneering tone doesn't do much to demonstrate the intellect of the messenger!
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

I think that's just Baz's way.
Doesn't always come across as the most subtle of people !
Whether it's politics, football,or whatever, he sometimes has his way of making his point!
Perhaps he just gets a bit 'fired up" at times, it's good to see the energy though...but I can see why some of his "banter" could be off putting for some.
(doesn't bother me at all btw)

Sent from my moto g62 5G using Tapatalk

I Hate You !
Yanders
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Yanders »

The brexit stance is not exactly a fresh take or against a typical middle class opinion. I'd be more impressed if he had something new to say about the subject.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

I don't have a problem with his Brexit stance but its the Football thing that bores me,I don't give a fuck about Football,but that said I enjoyed the World Cup while in Mombasa, watching with our German Friends.Major Kudu.
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

jetblacksdad wrote: 30 Jan 2023, 13:09 To not see a band because a song doesn't sit with you politically seems to miss the point in my opinion.
I perhaps should clarify that I wasn't agreeing or disagreeing with his opinion, just that I don't want it rammed down my throat when I just want to be entertained. It's a good point that earlier songs dealt with political subjects, but in a much more subtle manner. Also, songs like "Nuclear Device", while dealing with politics, dealt with politics in a different country, and probably most of the audience had no real idea about the subject - I certainly didn't, and would continue to not have done if they hadn't explained it.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

Don't forget that there are other Wingmen that brought songs to the band.
Let's Boogie
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Paul Grey is quite Political so he may have had influence,good i say,say what you think In life.Major of Arms Kudu
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Off thread a bit,I like the fact that Baz says what he thinks,of course the band with Hugh were more subtle with their Political songs like Vice and Precious from Dreamtime, I say what I think but no when to temper my views ie last week I was working with a huge amount of people from different backgrounds so self censorship was what was required,the result they were happy with what I did,but I had to pull Rank a few times as you do.I wish I could have seen the Wingmen as from what I have seen they were rather good,but I noticed at one gig Baz said the C word,if anyone was offended to bad.Major of Arms Kudu.