The Stranglers - Rat Chat #8

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: The Stranglers - Rat Chat #8

Post by Greatkudu »

jason wrote: 02 Jun 2022, 11:16
Greatkudu wrote: 01 Jun 2022, 23:32 There really is a good spirit in the band,and not just the booze.Lt kudu.
They seem some such a nice bunch now don't they. Much nicer than that moody surly bunch from the late seventies! :grin:
Well funnily enough in youtube yesterday I found footage I have never seen it was from Toronto in 1980,a short clip of Shah Shah then brief interview with Hugh and JJ being at their mischievous best,you can see how close they were then,like a couple of naughty school kids but with charm.But yes In sure they are alot nicer now,but I remember reading an interview with Jim Mac not long after he joined the band and he said they were the real deal,they were nice but could be nasty as well but that's back in 2012, people change and I think the biggest change has been the mellowing of JJ,he really seems a nice chilled out chap these days.Lt Kudu.
Frederik
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Frederik »

More Wombles these days
marky
Ugly
Ugly

Post by marky »

It’s strange how our opinions and views change over time I saw that YouTube clip from Toronto and it makes me cringe a bit and looking back I think that both JJ and Hugh came across in some interviews as a bit stupid really
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

Yes some of their earlier interviews/moments etc can be a bit difficult to watch.
Yanders
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Yanders »

Most of us talked bollocks in our 20s, especially when drunk and high.
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

They did seem to come across as thinking they were cleverer than they were, probably just showing off.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
marky
Ugly
Ugly

Post by marky »

Yes I guess that as the years went on they were more sure of themselves as individuals and as a band and drug free so that helps a lot
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 02 Jun 2022, 11:55
jason wrote: 02 Jun 2022, 11:16
Greatkudu wrote: 01 Jun 2022, 23:32 There really is a good spirit in the band,and not just the booze.Lt kudu.
They seem some such a nice bunch now don't they. Much nicer than that moody surly bunch from the late seventies! :grin:
Well funnily enough in youtube yesterday I found footage I have never seen it was from Toronto in 1980,a short clip of Shah Shah then brief interview with Hugh and JJ being at their mischievous best,you can see how close they were then,like a couple of naughty school kids but with charm.But yes In sure they are alot nicer now,but I remember reading an interview with Jim Mac not long after he joined the band and he said they were the real deal,they were nice but could be nasty as well but that's back in 2012, people change and I think the biggest change has been the mellowing of JJ,he really seems a nice chilled out chap these days.Lt Kudu.
Well i agree with a few different things people have brought up one being yours they do seem more chilled these days getting on so well as a unit with a more relaxed JJ these days.
Secondly as also pointed out on here about some of the early Hugh and JJ interivews at times coming across a little stupid not all but as suggested i too over the years have seen some that have been in my opinion where they appear to be throwing off one and other not making much sense to the interviewer not making it easy to be interviewed at times of really answering the question fully or even at all with silence at times ...it all went with their image lol
Last edited by toilerinblack on 03 Jun 2022, 18:53, edited 2 times in total.
Yanders
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Yanders »

When comparing interviews from 42 years ago to ratchats now, it's like they are different people.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Yanders wrote: 03 Jun 2022, 18:51 When comparing interviews from 42 years ago to ratchats now, it's like they are different people.
Oh god yes....it was different times then with different attitudes now for sure.
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

Yanders wrote: 03 Jun 2022, 18:51 When comparing interviews from 42 years ago to ratchats now, it's like they are different people.
Yes , quite often deliberately antagonistic back then , but it was the punk thing to do wasn't it . I think now they are quite chilled and happy with life ,......mind you , you say like different people..........3 of them are different people or shouldn't I mention that for fear of .........STAN 😱
All quiet ..........
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

evonx wrote: 01 Jun 2022, 07:35 Really enjoyed this - loved JJ imitating JB
Yes that was faf
This chat#8 was the first time seeing them as the whole band combined talking and showing their real unity instead of the JJ & Baz show.
But for me an inportant part still to the band's continuation is the enthusiasm of Baz that is keeping this band tickling along still so well where he saisd he just cannot wait to meet up and rehearse with them next week or whenever it was.
He's been in the band over 20 years and is carrying on as if he has just joined them with his enthusiasm and to praise up Jim's ten years as a long time too i thought was a nice thing to say to his less serving member.
The length of their continuation looks great as they all get on so well clearly as friends and as the tight entity they are still so much that WILL keep them in good stead to keep on rolling on for god knows how long for i feel the balls in their court as for how long as they still are such a big draw live on the ticket front.
I simply cannot see and ending to the current unit for a long time to come which if it is will be great news for the fans who do still want to keep seeing them live.