Toby interview

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Toby interview

Post by Greatkudu »

To be fair to JJ I don't think he ever had the intention of going solo, although he did lose interest big time around the WIR period as did Dave.Lt Kudu.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 18 May 2022, 14:31 To be fair to JJ I don't think he ever had the intention of going solo, although he did lose interest big time around the WIR period as did Dave.Lt Kudu.
True it was more the PR & JE band in the WIR period where i couldn't even hear JJ's meaty basslines that i think is crucial to any stranglers song and it wasn't until the Paul days ended and Baz became frontman did i hear the return of what was once was from the MK1 days again,that's why i thank Baz for changing all that was so clearly wrong in my opinion that should never have altered in the first place i think, his bas that could be heard above everything else was their winning formula with Dave's heard key solo parts for 16 odd years and tbh that i've never quite got my head round that one, but at least thanks to the working baz & JJ partnership they did return their sound back more to the bands roots for the last 3 odd albums or so i think for the better....but again just my take on the past and now with Toby the band i feel has a new lease of life even though there will only ever be one Dave Greenfield who will never be forgotten in my opinion.
Frederik
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Frederik »

Seems Toby and Louie plan to look into working on the keyborad sounds to 'restore' them to the original using some of the latest gear now available. That would be a good thing.
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

Frederik wrote: 18 May 2022, 23:29 Seems Toby and Louie plan to look into working on the keyborad sounds to 'restore' them to the original using some of the latest gear now available. That would be a good thing.
Yes, interesting that he's talking about using 20-year-old equipment for the live shows, I somehow expected they'd be keeping up with stuff, especially on the keyboard side.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

It sounds like the sort of thing a younger Dave would've done having today's tech available.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

droopsnoot wrote: 19 May 2022, 08:59
Frederik wrote: 18 May 2022, 23:29 Seems Toby and Louie plan to look into working on the keyborad sounds to 'restore' them to the original using some of the latest gear now available. That would be a good thing.
Yes, interesting that he's talking about using 20-year-old equipment for the live shows, I somehow expected they'd be keeping up with stuff, especially on the keyboard side.
Current synth production has largely moved away from 19" rompler rack modules like the Fantom XR. The good thing about modules is that they are small and robust so having a spare takes up no room and all you then need is a keyboard controller or two. I can see the logic. There are a lot of tempting new toys available now though.
Let's Boogie
jonimac
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by jonimac »

A fascinating insight in that interview.
What a humble guy - as he seems to aim for anyway?

No surprises about updating the keyboard sounds.
It’s been my one complaint for years. Particularly wrt Oberheim sounds.
I d like to think of myself as complete non expert in this areas but my ears don’t lie.

I do hope they stay together, and whether they are The Stranglers or the world’s premier band for playing Stranglers material, to have 4 (or is it 5?) people on board of that calibre, keeping the songs alive, is all I could ask for.
From Glasgow, the centre of Stranglermania (copyright Strangled 1982)
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

Yes what a nice bloke and a long full interview. If the band were gonna continue after Dave's sad loss then we couldn't really have asked for anymore tbh. I'm glad Toby came on board rather than some of those bigger names mentioned before.
It looks good for the future as he wants to move forward with some changes. As long as JJ still wants it then I think we're good for a few more years. Would be nice to have some little mini tours, as well as the festival slots.
Lets see (it's their band anyway its up to them :-)

LONG LIVE THE STRANGLERS!
(or JJ & Friends or whatever who really cares...(well apart from one person on here :-))
I Hate You !
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

theraven1979 wrote: 19 May 2022, 09:11 It sounds like the sort of thing a younger Dave would've done having today's tech available.

Jim
Exactly what i was thinking reading the posts yes i agree with you too.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

theraven1979 wrote: 15 May 2022, 12:14 Wearing shades indoors - Always cool :grin:

Jim
They are prescription Sun Glasses.Lt Kudu.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Cool!

Jim
Greatkudu wrote: 23 May 2022, 11:18
theraven1979 wrote: 15 May 2022, 12:14 Wearing shades indoors - Always cool :grin:

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

theraven1979 wrote: 23 May 2022, 11:28 Cool!

Jim
Greatkudu wrote: 23 May 2022, 11:18

Jim
I think he had a makeover to look the part more,stick a leather jacket on and you have the Strangler look.Lt Kudu :smt005