The Buzzcocks new album later in year.

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Re: The Buzzcocks new album later in year.

Post by theraven1979 »

Despite the voice weirdness there's actually some pretty good songs in there with Buzzcocks style guitar solos. I'd say yeah

He has drawn upon some of the classic Buzzcocks traits. "You've Changed Everything Now" sounds like it woulda sat well on Different Kind Of Tension for example.

Jim
Greatkudu wrote: 23 Sep 2022, 09:53
theraven1979 wrote: 23 Sep 2022, 09:07 Album dropped this morning - What's with Diggle's voice? he sounds like a chipmunk

Jim
Is it worth having? Lt kudu.
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

theraven1979 wrote: 23 Sep 2022, 10:05 Despite the voice weirdness there's actually some pretty good songs in there with Buzzcocks style guitar solos. I'd say yeah

Jim
Greatkudu wrote: 23 Sep 2022, 09:53
theraven1979 wrote: 23 Sep 2022, 09:07 Album dropped this morning - What's with Diggle's voice? he sounds like a chipmunk

Jim
Is it worth having? Lt kudu.
Thanks I was going to Order it,as I have all the Buzzcocks studio albums.So will order today.Lt Kudu.
Five Minutes
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Five Minutes »

One of the reviews I read compared his voice to Frank Sidebottom which on one or two tracks is actually a very fair description.

The album is good. I usually hate 21st century albums by very old bands but this is full of energy.
Last time I came here a friend of mine just got triple-jacked over a steeplehammer and jessop jessop jessop jessop jessop
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

Watched their set at the recent SVN festival, where they played some tracks from the new album. Have played the album a couple of times recently and it's a gooden!
I Hate You !
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

Five Minutes wrote: 24 Sep 2022, 04:12 One of the reviews I read compared his voice to Frank Sidebottom which on one or two tracks is actually a very fair description.

The album is good. I usually hate 21st century albums by very old bands but this is full of energy.
Another I must get ......the only bands I have bought albums from in recent years ......Damned , Stranglers(obviously), Chelsea, Slaughter and the Dogs , Skids ......think that might be it , so nice to add Buzzcocks to that.
All quiet ..........
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Listened to this a few times now and yeah it's not bad - The middle of the album contains the best songs for me . It really does lack the genius of Pete though. Some of the songs sound like a Steve Diggle solo album, that sort of modern day Kinks/Weller thing he does. He needs someone to turn that down a bit on the Buzzcocks albums. That said, it does surprisingly sound like Buzzcocks in places, those delightful simple guitar solos, classic fadeouts and hooks. Yeah worth the money. Still haven't seen this instance of the band live and unsure whether I'd want to tbh (same reason as Stranglers)

Jim
jonimac
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by jonimac »

Off to see them on Friday night supporting From The Jam. Better have a good listen beforehand.
Don't think Ive seen them for over 30 years , Brixton around 89 perhaps?

Always loved the greatest hits album, but somehow blamed them for bands like Blink 182
From Glasgow, the centre of Stranglermania (copyright Strangled 1982)
manticore
Ugly
Ugly

Post by manticore »

jonimac wrote: 05 Oct 2022, 13:29 Off to see them on Friday night supporting From The Jam. Better have a good listen beforehand.

Always loved the greatest hits album, but somehow blamed them for bands like Blink 182
That doesn't seem right them supporting a tribute band.
dont get your trossachs caught in your sporran
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Don't they have 2 original members?

Jim
manticore wrote: 06 Oct 2022, 07:43
jonimac wrote: 05 Oct 2022, 13:29 Off to see them on Friday night supporting From The Jam. Better have a good listen beforehand.

That doesn't seem right them supporting a tribute band.
manticore
Ugly
Ugly

Post by manticore »

Just Bruce foxton. I believe he joined them when they were called the gift a jam tribute band with Rick buckler. Then they changed to from the jam,and buckled left 4 years later . It's a question, is a tribute band with an original really a tribute band?
Last edited by manticore on 06 Oct 2022, 10:12, edited 1 time in total.
dont get your trossachs caught in your sporran
gjinblack
Ugly
Ugly

Post by gjinblack »

manticore wrote:Just Bruce foxton. I believe he joined them when they were called the gift a jam tribute band with Rick buckler. Then they changed to from the jzm,and buckled left 4 years later . It's a question, is a tribute band with an original really a tribute band?
Good point!

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

euromanc-ometh
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

manticore wrote: 06 Oct 2022, 09:28 Just Bruce foxton. I believe he joined them when they were called the gift a jam tribute band with Rick buckler. Then they changed to from the jam,and buckled left 4 years later . It's a question, is a tribute band with an original really a tribute band?
I think we've had this debate before? Lt kudu.