Strangler in the light

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Strangler in the light

Post by Greatkudu »

I still haven't finished the book,but I JJ of course JJs comments about you are churlish to say the least, maybe it's tongue and cheek or what's expected of him,if JJ was to soft on Hugh it would be a bit soppy of you have JJs Macho reputation,that was part of the reason Hugh left originally,but if course Hugh wrote most of the songs and deserves more respect.Major Kudu.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

evonx wrote: 07 Jan 2024, 13:01
ts difficult for him to forget because every setlist is a reminder.
Well he has some classics of his own in the bands catalogue but yes, he has to realize more than half of the classics from 77-83 were Hugh's....
I do thlnk JJ would'nt mind as much as Baz tho, he seems like he dislikes Hugh the most.
Which seems odd - have they ever even met?
Intresting who wrote what and how many I wonder how many Hugh did write between 77-83 i'd guess definitely more than half,they both certainly wrote a lot each for sure and did work and feed off eachother so very well whoever orginally wrote the song or idea.....they especially in those more earlier years had a great partnership together that alot of bands never had.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 07 Jan 2024, 16:52, edited 1 time in total.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

toilerinblack wrote: 07 Jan 2024, 16:11
ts difficult for him to forget because every setlist is a reminder.
Well he has some classics of his own in the bands catalogue but yes, he has to realize more than half of the classics from 77-83 were Hugh's....
I do thlnk JJ would'nt mind as much as Baz tho, he seems like he dislikes Hugh the most.
How many did dave write if any? I know Jet did.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

toilerinblack wrote: 07 Jan 2024, 16:49
toilerinblack wrote: 07 Jan 2024, 16:11

How many did dave write if any? I know Jet did.
Not sure Dave wrote any lyrics? But of course he was responsible for the GB music,Jet wrote lyrics to Lies and Deception,and maybe the Light? From the infamous Coup De Grace.Major Kudu.
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

I don't think so, from what Baz has said in interviews. And I think he's also said that he has no grudge against Hugh, having never met him. I'm not sure where the comment comes from, but equally I can't remember where I read Baz's opinion of Hugh.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
kenl
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by kenl »

jason wrote: 07 Jan 2024, 08:40 JJ hasn't done anything wrong though with keeping the band going. Hugh left and Jet and Dave have sadly passed so he has just pulled in necessary replacements. I'm grateful he has kept the band going. I have also really enjoyed Hugh's solo career.
Spot on.

Sick of the slagging off, yes I know it is just an opinion, that happens on this "fan forum".
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

droopsnoot wrote: 07 Jan 2024, 19:07
I don't think so, from what Baz has said in interviews. And I think he's also said that he has no grudge against Hugh, having never met him. I'm not sure where the comment comes from, but equally I can't remember where I read Baz's opinion of Hugh.
I read that Hugh has been complimentary about Baz a few years ago,but I imagine JJ would have influenced Baz about Hugh,but Baz respects what Hugh did in the Stranglers as he's trying his best to replicate his sound and style,but Hugh is unique,has a unique style vocally and Guitar wise.Major Kudu.
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

Intresting who wrote what and how many I wonder how many Hugh did write between 77-83 i'd guess definitely more than half,they both certainly wrote a lot each for sure and did work and feed off eachother so very well whoever orginally wrote the song or idea.....they especially in those more earlier years had a great partnership together that alot of bands never had.
You can find most info in the Song by Song book on who wrote what and which ones were collaborations.
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

How many did dave write if any?
Not sure - I think he was more involved in the arranging and putting the icing on the cake so to say. Having said that, Dave did write the music to Golden Brown which remains their biggest success!
--eric--
and there i came
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

Jet wrote lyrics to Lies and Deception,and maybe the Light?
Jet also wrote the music to The Light - he played a bit of piano.
I think Jet once commented laughing that lyrics he brought to the band in earlier years were not used because the rest of the band thought they read like business letters :grin:
--eric--
and there i came
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 07 Jan 2024, 21:13

I read that Hugh has been complimentary about Baz a few years ago,but I imagine JJ would have influenced Baz about Hugh,but Baz respects what Hugh did in the Stranglers as he's trying his best to replicate his sound and style,but Hugh is unique,has a unique style vocally and Guitar wise.Major Kudu.
Very well said....spot on about baz i think too he respects Hugh and really has tried to replicate who and what the Stranglers were once all about and that for that is the first time it has been tried and worked properly post '90 after Paul's long reign and depature as frontman and also leaving before him John.
Yes Hugh is unique but I for one take my hat off to Baz like or loathe him who j think does understand what Stranglers fans want and expect who has tried being the only one post Hugh taking them successfully back to once was...if that's ever possible which it can't be but it's the best and nearest musically as your gonna get.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

toilerinblack wrote: 07 Jan 2024, 21:37
Greatkudu wrote: 07 Jan 2024, 21:13

Very well said....spot on about baz i think too he respects Hugh and really has tried to replicate who and what the Stranglers were once all about and that for that is the first time it has been tried and worked properly post '90 after Paul's long reign and depature as frontman and also leaving before him John.
Yes Hugh is unique but I for one take my hat off to Baz like or loathe him who j think does understand what Stranglers fans want and expect who has tried being the only one post Hugh taking them successfully back to once was...if that's ever possible which it can't be but it's the best and nearest musically as your gonna get.
Yes Baz has certainly helped bring the band back to a format that works again,as near as the original as we are going to get,some dislike Baz but he's worked hard with the band so I commend what he has achieved and the key is the strong friendship with JJ,you could have the best singer in the world and it wouldn't work, there has to be that bond with JJ which Hugh had for along time, before it went sour for whatever reason.Major Kudu.